Title says at all.
    6 months remaining to Windows 7 End of Support. What will you do if you're using it?
    07-15-2019 06:10 AM
    Most likely people will do nothing, i.e. remain on Windows 7 anyway. The only other alternative is to upgrade to Windows 10 and people may not be able to do that due to the hardware they have or the upgrade costs or whatever.
    07-16-2019 06:28 AM
    Most likely people will do nothing, i.e. remain on Windows 7 anyway. The only other alternative is to upgrade to Windows 10 and people may not be able to do that due to the hardware they have or the upgrade costs or whatever.
    You would need to have a very old computer that couldn't upgrade to Windows 10. The hardware requirements to run Windows 10 is not that high. I won't say it will run great but it can be installed on pretty low end hardware.

But I agree you're right about people staying on Win 7. Lots of people hate Win 10 for whatever reason.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-17-2019 02:39 AM
    I will be moving to Windows 8.1 and use it for 3 years, after that hopefully Windows 10 or whatever comes after would have matured enough to become useful.
    07-17-2019 07:09 AM
    You would need to have a very old computer that couldn't upgrade to Windows 10. The hardware requirements to run Windows 10 is not that high. I won't say it will run great but it can be installed on pretty low end hardware.

But I agree you're right about people staying on Win 7. Lots of people hate Win 10 for whatever reason.
    Yup, you can run Windows 10 on pretty low end hardware however laptops and tablets with the Atom Clover Trail CPUs will not be upgraded to the Creators Update. Although on the anniversary update, they will get support upto 2023 for security patches.

Most people who hate Windows 10 are those who actually don't know how to use the offline account. As they incorrectly presume that you have to attach a Microsoft account to the entire o/s and that's not their fault.

Microsoft does not make that clear from the get go that you can use a local (offline account) and selectively sign into the applications. Additionally, you no longer need to sign into the Windows App store to install store applications which was the case for a long while (you could never the less solely sign into the store and nothing else if you wanted).
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-17-2019 07:52 AM
    I will be moving to Windows 8.1 and use it for 3 years, after that hopefully Windows 10 or whatever comes after would have matured enough to become useful.
    I'd personally avoid Win 8.1 and go straight to 10.

Whats your issue with 10? It's more like 7 than 8.1
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-17-2019 08:10 AM
    Yup, you can run Windows 10 on pretty low end hardware however laptops and tablets with the Atom Clover Trail CPUs will not be upgraded to the Creators Update. Although on the anniversary update, they will get support upto 2023 for security patches.

Most people who hate Windows 10 are those who actually don't know how to use the offline account. As they incorrectly presume that you have to attach a Microsoft account to the entire o/s and that's not their fault.

Microsoft does not make that clear from the get go that you can use a local (offline account) and selectively sign into the applications. Additionally, you no longer need to sign into the Windows App store to install store applications which was the case for a long while (you could never the less solely sign into the store and nothing else if you wanted).
    I personally have no issues using a MS account. That's me though I get people and their security issues.
    07-17-2019 08:19 AM
    I personally have no issues using a MS account. That's me though I get people and their security issues.
    I've got a quick question, do you have any sign in issues if you have no internet connection?

I have no issues with using a MS account however just prefer the flexibility of selectively sign into accounts.

As I have multiple outlook.com accounts for specific services and life aspects like email solely for music services etc. So it's much more expedient to use an offline account and selectively sign in than signing out of the app and then signing in with the relevant account.
    07-17-2019 08:27 AM
    I've got a quick question, do you have any sign in issues if you have no internet connection?

I have no issues with using a MS account however just prefer the flexibility of selectively sign into accounts.

As I have multiple outlook.com accounts for specific services and life aspects like email solely for music services etc. So it's much more expedient to use an offline account and selectively sign in than signing out of the app and then signing in with the relevant account.
    No issues signing in when I have no internet.

My Outlook account is the business account I use and my other account is my broadly used account which is GMail.
    07-17-2019 08:47 AM
    No issues signing in when I have no internet.

My Outlook account is the business account I use and my other account is my broadly used account which is GMail.
    That's interesting, I have seen a constant lag across devices when logging into laptops that have a Microsoft account attached but no internet connection.

Thanks for your response.
    07-17-2019 12:59 PM
    That's interesting, I have seen a constant lag across devices when logging into laptops that have a Microsoft account attached but no internet connection.

I don't have any lag at all. It's the same speed.

I recall it being slower on 8 and 8.1 and possibly 10 at the beginning but I think they finally corrected it.
    07-18-2019 01:03 AM
    I'd personally avoid Win 8.1 and go straight to 10.

Whats your issue with 10? It's more like 7 than 8.1
    I'm still not happy with the security update process in Windows 10, not the same control and transparency as Windows 7 & 8.1

The start menu in Windows 10 is bulky and with less options than the good old Windows 7, I will still use a start menu replacement if I switched to Windows 10.

Finally, Windows 10 is heavier than 8.1, more services and features running that will cause a performance hit. Windows 8.1 would be lighter, less telemetry, still supported for 3 years, and there is something satisfying working on a less popular operating system.
    07-19-2019 09:20 AM

I have never had this issue either.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-19-2019 09:23 AM
    I'm still not happy with the security update process in Windows 10, not the same control and transparency as Windows 7 & 8.1

The start menu in Windows 10 is bulky and with less options than the good old Windows 7, I will still use a start menu replacement if I switched to Windows 10.

Finally, Windows 10 is heavier than 8.1, more services and features running that will cause a performance hit. Windows 8.1 would be lighter, less telemetry, still supported for 3 years, and there is something satisfying working on a less popular operating system.
    "performance hit" just like Windows Vista which OEMs installed it on a PC with 512 MB of RAM, 32 GB of disk space (why Vista failed, but Vista SP2 nearly fixed all the problems) I recall after Windows Vista rolled out, consumers only have PCs featured only 512 MB of RAM. Similar in Windows 10 era you need to switch to an SSD for speed, but PCs featuring an SSD isn't less, unlike Vista era.
    Last edited by Yue Ling; 07-21-2019 at 01:07 AM.
    07-20-2019 01:01 AM
    Thanks for your responses @Ryujingt3 @N_LaRUE.
    07-20-2019 07:17 AM

Not sure where you're getting your information from but as a person who's been using 10 pretty much since it's release I have zero issues with performance. There's nothing wrong with the start menu and companies are happily installing 10 on enterprise.

I find 10 far better than 8 or 8.1. I've used both.

Your concerns don't make much sense to me.

You have the ability to turn off anything you feel is a privacy issue.

So I'm a little confused
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-2019 01:03 AM
    Not sure where you're getting your information from but as a person who's been using 10 pretty much since it's release I have zero issues with performance. There's nothing wrong with the start menu and companies are happily installing 10 on enterprise.

I find 10 far better than 8 or 8.1. I've used both.

Your concerns don't make much sense to me.

You have the ability to turn off anything you feel is a privacy issue.

So I'm a little confused
    I second this. Sure, Windows 10 had many issues when it first came out, but MS, for once, have stuck with it and now it is much improved.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-21-2019 08:53 AM
    I tried Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, I was getting more FPS in 7 than 8.1, and more in 8.1 than 10. It's not about RAM or SSD but about processes running, some of which can't be disabled without registry tweaks and I don't know what harm they would cause if I disabled them.

Also the security update process is a big issue to me. I want control over what updates to install, not just how long to delay them.

The start menu in Windows 10 is bulky and less convenient, requires much more scrolling than the old start menu. Right clicking on menu items offers much less options. I don't understand why companies deprecate features when they move to new designs.
    07-21-2019 09:33 AM
    I tried Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, I was getting more FPS in 7 than 8.1, and more in 8.1 than 10. It's not about RAM or SSD but about processes running, some of which can't be disabled without registry tweaks and I don't know what harm they would cause if I disabled them.

Also the security update process is a big issue to me. I want control over what updates to install, not just how long to delay them.

The start menu in Windows 10 is bulky and less convenient, requires much more scrolling than the old start menu. Right clicking on menu items offers much less options. I don't understand why companies deprecate features when they move to new designs.
    You can disable automatic updates: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

However security is important so as much as I hate automatic updates I tend to keep them on.

There's tonnes of tips on how to fix FPS issues on Windows 10. I'll agree here that MS seems to be having issues with that when they update 10.

As for the Start menu I don't personally find it any more difficult to use than the older ones. To be fair I was never a big user of the Start menu. Personally I was ready for it to go completely so I see the Start menu in 10 as a give in to those who couldn't let go. I think it's time for a newer way of using interfaces but some people can't let go. That's why I was one of the few that actually liked the 8 and 8.1 interface. The issue wasn't the interface so much the jarring transition. But I digress.

The best way to use the Start menu is to use search. As for right click options I assume you mean making short cuts to desktop?
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 07-22-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    07-22-2019 01:18 AM
    Thanks for the link. Certainly I don't want to disable security updates. I just want to see what updates are offered before I download them, specially non-security updates.

I have Window 10 installed on a virtual machine to keep up with how it's being shaped with each release.

As for the start menu in Win7, I liked how items in it were actual shortcuts from the file system so you could do anything on them, copying and arranging them easily. Even launching as an Administrator was easier than having to hover over the "More" menu.

Ultimately I will have to move to Windows 10 one day, and I'm sure it will get better by then.
    07-22-2019 11:55 AM
    For me, Windows 10 is fine as it is. I am not sure I could go back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 now. Windows 10 has many new features compared to Windows 7 and also improved security as well.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-24-2019 08:57 AM