What's the difference between Microsoft account and Outlook account in Windows 10 People program?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello all,

I am new in windows and I would like to add some contacts in People program in windows 10.

I have my outlook account added and now every time that I want to add a contact I a asked whether I want to save the contact: a) Microsoft account b) Outlook account.

What's the difference?
Thank you

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As is typical of Microsoft the answer is both simple and complex.

If you have an Outlook (or any other MS email) account you have a Microsoft account. Outlook email = MS account.

This means using this email you can sync all your Microsoft services and information on any computer you log into.

However, you don't need a Microsoft email to create a Microsoft account. You can use GMail, Yahoo, etc. On top of that you can also create a Microsoft account in Windows 10.

So unless you have a separate Microsoft account other than Outlook when asked this question it will be the Outlook email address.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@N_LaRUE well said, to add for others who may have similiar questions and what a Microsoft account does in summary:

When you attach an outlook.com account to the entire o/s that becomes your Microsoft account where everything is tied together such as app purchases, the W10 pro license key if you have 10 home and purchased a pro license from the store, passwords if you enable password sync, as well as time line history.

Additionaly the W10 license is also attached if you have upgraded from 7 / 8 / 8.1 to W10 during the period when you could upgrade for free.

To simplify matters, in 1903 it's I believe called an online account and a local account is called an offline account.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3