A friend of mine at work asked me what would be the best laptop for his daughter starting college. He is going to buy one for her but the computer needs to last 4 years and do all she needs it to do to finish college. She has an iPhone and is requesting an Macbook Pro. I, being a Microsoft Fanboy, suggested the Surface Book 2 with the MS Office Suite with OneDrive. I did think about the Surface Pro 6 but I don't think the keyboard will be great for typing papers.

I realize that this is a Microsoft Friendly zone, but I would like to hear some good arguments for both to make a reasonable decision.

What are your thoughts and or experiences? What computer should my friend get for his daughter?
    07-26-2019 02:13 PM
    The SB2 is great, but it's also a couple years old and there seems to be an issue with every Windows 10 feature update. For 1903, it's the dedicated GPU disappearing and you'll definitely want one with a dedicated GPU if you're looking for it to last 4 years. A safer option would be something like the latest-and-greatest Dell XPS or HP Spectre X360. Better overall value, too.
    Laura Knotek and MrGecko like this.
    07-26-2019 04:32 PM
    Whilst I would pick the SB2 if I ever had the chance, like @spicypadthai has said, you are better off with Dell or HP. I'd go for the Dell, but that's just me.
    07-28-2019 10:16 AM
    Whilst I would pick the SB2 if I ever had the chance, like @spicypadthai has said, you are better off with Dell or HP. I'd go for the Dell, but that's just me.
    My choice would also be Dell, since I've experienced hardware issues with HP in the past but not with Dell.
    MrGecko likes this.
    07-28-2019 07:49 PM
    My choice would also be Dell, since I've experienced hardware issues with HP in the past but not with Dell.
    I have had a Dell in the past and it was very good. I have a Surface now and I really like that as well.
    07-30-2019 10:11 AM
    Thanks for the feedback!
    08-01-2019 12:35 PM
    I realize that this is a Microsoft Friendly zone, but I would like to hear some good arguments for both to make a reasonable decision.
    Just because this is a Windows forum it doesn't mean we automatically support Microsoft products. What are you trying to justify exactly?
    08-03-2019 11:06 AM