Transfer computer to a laptop for my 88 year old father. What should I purchase?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Does he need Windows? What would he do with the PC?

A Chromebook may be a good alternative, also getting a used PC and throwing a Linux distro on it might be good too.

I took a peek at the link @spicypadthai left, and there are some pretty good deals there.

I disagree on the chromebook, it's been designed to mimic a smartphone but it's nowhere simple for someone of 88 years of age.

Best thing to get would be Windows 10 in S mode, lock everything down and put it into tablet mode. Put bundle in basic applications like calculator, skype etc on the start screen.

Then teach him to use the windows key only to navigate to the start screen as this reduces him having to get used to touch pad or mouse. Plus it also minimises any strain on his joints if he suffers from arthritis etc.

This simplifies the process until he gets accustomed to using a computer.

Also a touch screen would also help so he could just touch the display and not mess around with touch pad or mouse.

Ironically, the gesture based Windows 8.x o/s with a touch screen is best suited for this scenario.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I disagree on the chromebook, it's been designed to mimic a smartphone but it's nowhere simple for someone of 88 years of age.

It does have some capabilites of a smartphone, as in it can get the play store, but I don't think it will be as complicated as you think. However, I think this is going to be a point that we won't ever see eye to eye so I will leave the discussion here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Best thing to get would be Windows 10 in S mode, lock everything down and put it into tablet mode. Put bundle in basic applications like calculator, skype etc on the start screen.

Then teach him to use the windows key only to navigate to the start screen as this reduces him having to get used to touch pad or mouse. Plus it also minimises any strain on his joints if he suffers from arthritis etc.

This simplifies the process until he gets accustomed to using a computer.

Also a touch screen would also help so he could just touch the display and not mess around with touch pad or mouse.

Ironically, the gesture based Windows 8.x o/s with a touch screen is best suited for this scenario.
I would not recommend a touchscreen laptop for someone who has always used a desktop PC and never used a touchscreen device. Truth be told, I have a laptop from Dell with a touchscreen, but I never use it. Since I have a traditional laptop, not a convertible device, it just isn't ergonomic to touch the screen like I do on my phone or tablet. I also use a mouse, rather than the touchpad, in many situations.

I would recommend a traditional Windows laptop or a Chromebook, not a convertible device with a touchscreen or a Windows 10S device.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would not recommend a touchscreen laptop for someone who has always used a desktop PC and never used a touchscreen device. Truth be told, I have a laptop from Dell with a touchscreen, but I never use it. Since I have a traditional laptop, not a convertible device, it just isn't ergonomic to touch the screen like I do on my phone or tablet. I also use a mouse, rather than the touchpad, in many situations.

I would recommend a traditional Windows laptop or a Chromebook, not a convertible device with a touchscreen or a Windows 10S device.

Fair points, I was just speaking from anecdotal experience from my time as a volunteer health advocate as I saw the elderly just reach out and touch the screen instinctively. Especially when taking in to memory reflex into account where their family members have tried to get them to use touch screen smartphones.

However I do agree, everyone's use case is different.

There is one aspect most people I feel don't consider and that is natural atrophy of the human brain as it ages. I learnt about this in extreme detail when my gran fell and ended up having a subdural haematoma.

Therefore as a person it's older it's best to keep things simple so they are easily adjust and don't feel like they are becoming a burden on their family members especially if they require constant help remembering or doing something complex to do something simple like opening up an app.

Because at a certain age self esteem ergo willpower goes along way in ensuring they maintain confidence in themselves. Thus prevents them from closing up and ending up what some would say bitter.

It does have some capabilites of a smartphone, as in it can get the play store, but I don't think it will be as complicated as you think. However, I think this is going to be a point that we won't ever see eye to eye so I will leave the discussion here.

Lol, I have nothing against chrome books or android it's Google's practises that I have issues with. Not just Google, Apple and Microsoft too or any other company that falls afoul of basic common sense and monopolistic practises that are to the determent of consumer choice and well being of everyone else.

Does it have to be a PC? At the risk of being the odd one out, perhaps an iPad may be best?
Decent suggestion, as most people have iphones therefore would enable simpler communication via facetime with other family members. Especially since how crappy Skype has gotten as of late.[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Fair points, I was just speaking from anecdotal experience from my time as a volunteer health advocate as I saw the elderly just reach out and touch the screen instinctively. Especially when taking in to memory reflex into account where their family members have tried to get them to use touch screen smartphones.

However I do agree, everyone's use case is different.

There is one aspect most people I feel don't consider and that is natural atrophy of the human brain as it ages. I learnt about this in extreme detail when my gran fell and ended up having a subdural haematoma.

Therefore as a person it's older it's best to keep things simple so they are easily adjust and don't feel like they are becoming a burden on their family members especially if they require constant help remembering or doing something complex to do something simple like opening up an app.

Because at a certain age self esteem ergo willpower goes along way in ensuring they maintain confidence in themselves. Thus prevents them from closing up and ending up what some would say bitter.

Lol, I have nothing against chrome books or android it's Google's practises that I have issues with. Not just Google, Apple and Microsoft too or any other company that falls afoul of basic common sense and monopolistic practises that are to the determent of consumer choice and well being of everyone else.

Decent suggestion, as most people have iphones therefore would enable simpler communication via facetime with other family members. Especially since how crappy Skype has gotten as of late.[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

I know Apple fans and MS fans don't always see eye to eye but you can't deny how easy Apple makes their tech to use. That makes it an ideal choice in this case.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I know Apple fans and MS fans don't always see eye to eye but you can't deny how easy Apple makes their tech to use. That makes it an ideal choice in this case.

Most people when really asked why they use iphones, they usually say because it's really simple. Which some would say as too basic but of course most people haven't really grown up with no internet or had to use a keyboard with a calculator sized screen as their sole computing device for their IT lessons lol.

So to that I say, they don't know what basic really means haha.

expobill

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Surface pro, 13 inch the slowest cheapest one, no gadgets, detachable keyboard and one port.
just get a sturdy cover and accident coverage.
Apple is too annoying even for a computer expert like me were you need to sign in every cut and paste.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Surface pro, 13 inch the slowest cheapest one, no gadgets, detachable keyboard and one port.
just get a sturdy cover and accident coverage.
Apple is too annoying even for a computer expert like me were you need to sign in every cut and paste.

Surely Apple is not that bad? I had a MacBook Pro once but I couldn't really get on with it because it didn't have the native software I needed for work, games were non-existent, and for the price I paid I could have got a far more powerful laptop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12