SP7 i7 or SP7 i5 version?

yowends

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
i really want the SP7 but my main concern is the lag using the SP7 on tablet mode. I hear from some reviewers that there’s a lag mainly using the tablet mode. I plan to use it for college and being able to switch to my one note app when I need it would be ideal. I tested out the Go and I did notice it being glitchy when trying to use one note. So my question is, would the i7 make a diff when it comes to tablet mode?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
i really want the SP7 but my main concern is the lag using the SP7 on tablet mode. I hear from some reviewers that there’s a lag mainly using the tablet mode. I plan to use it for college and being able to switch to my one note app when I need it would be ideal. I tested out the Go and I did notice it being glitchy when trying to use one note. So my question is, would the i7 make a diff when it comes to tablet mode?
, yeah it would help a bit. My biggest problem with tablet mode is that there are no smooth animations between switching apps etc. Higher performance would reduce the transition times between apps etc so in that sense it can help and generally the OS will feel slightly smoother.

That being said, the performance difference between i5 and i7 won't be big. Iirc the i7 has active cooling so that helps a bit but the i5 is more silent and has very slightly better battery life and is cheaper. The SP7 i5 is already much faster than the Go (day and night difference).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a good question and one I am also interested in knowing because I am interested in an SP7 also. I had an SP2 and that was an i5 and I found the performance was fine for me. For the SP7, is it a case of the i5 is actually better overall than the i7?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
This is a good question and one I am also interested in knowing because I am interested in an SP7 also. I had an SP2 and that was an i5 and I found the performance was fine for me. For the SP7, is it a case of the i5 is actually better overall than the i7?
, since the form factor intrigues me as well I read a bit more on it. I pasted a link to an interesting video about it below. Basically if you're going to stress the gpu and want more than 8gb than the i7 becomes a no brainer (unless you want your device to be entirely silent), especially if the gpu is stressed constantly (rendering or gaming or such). If the gpu is not important than the i7 could still be interesting in case you want better sustained cpu performance (not entirely sure, probably around 10-15%) or want slightly better burst performance (3.9 GHz vs 3.7 GHz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFibV2oUy0

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
, since the form factor intrigues me as well I read a bit more on it. I pasted a link to an interesting video about it below. Basically if you're going to stress the gpu and want more than 8gb than the i7 becomes a no brainer (unless you want your device to be entirely silent), especially if the gpu is stressed constantly (rendering or gaming or such). If the gpu is not important than the i7 could still be interesting in case you want better sustained cpu performance (not entirely sure, probably around 10-15%) or want slightly better burst performance (3.9 GHz vs 3.7 GHz).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFibV2oUy0

Thanks very much for this.

I would use an SP7 mainly for work/productivity. I'm not a PC gamer. So, based on that, the i5 with 8GB should be enough?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks very much for this.

I would use an SP7 mainly for work/productivity. I'm not a PC gamer. So, based on that, the i5 with 8GB should be enough?
, I take it you mean work/software that does not stress the gpu (so no 3d programs). Unless you need that 16gb ram I would get the i5.
Maybe useful as a reference, I have a 2-1 laptop with a i5-8250u (a bit slower than the SP7 i5), 8gb ram, ssd and mx150 (a bit faster than the Iris Plus gpu of the SP7 i7) and can use lots of programs on it comfortably. Editing large images in photoshop-like software works good, small to medium projects in e.g. Visual Studio or Unity work good (have not tried large projects). Very large excel sheets work good enough.
I usually have Firefox open with ~10-15 tabs alongside VLC/music, Visual Studio, several Excel/PowerPoint/Word files and see no lag.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
, I take it you mean work/software that does not stress the gpu (so no 3d programs). Unless you need that 16gb ram I would get the i5.
Maybe useful as a reference, I have a 2-1 laptop with a i5-8250u (a bit slower than the SP7 i5), 8gb ram, ssd and mx150 (a bit faster than the Iris Plus gpu of the SP7 i7) and can use lots of programs on it comfortably. Editing large images in photoshop-like software works good, small to medium projects in e.g. Visual Studio or Unity work good (have not tried large projects). Very large excel sheets work good enough.
I usually have Firefox open with ~10-15 tabs alongside VLC/music, Visual Studio, several Excel/PowerPoint/Word files and see no lag.

Thanks very much, and yes, I wouldn't be doing anything 3D intensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos