Which Surface 7 Pro configuration for video editing

Crams85

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Hey folks,
I'm thinking of buying a Surface Pro 7 for several reasons. As I want to start getting into photo and video editing I am struggling with the configuration. Obviously 'the more the better' but the i7 with 16GB RAM costs a fortune including cover, pen, etc.
I have never been editing videos before but am definitely going for it - mostly having Gopro and drone footage (2,7k) and videos+photos of a great travel-pocket-cam (videos mostly in 4k).
I'm thinking of the i5 version with 8GB RAM.
Any suggestions or thoughts on my choice?
Thanks a lot everyone, every opinion will be appreciated!

Akshay M

Banned
Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Surface Pro 7 is much more stronger with changes made into it this year. Microsoft has placed Intel’s 10th Gen processors inside the Pro 7, and you can pick between a Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7 variant. I’ve been using the Surface Pro 6 with an 8th Gen Core i7 over the past year, and I’ve been impressed with its performance. It’s equally impressive here, and the Surface Pro 7 remains silent even during times when I pushed it with some video editing.

Lee_Bo

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
IMHO, I believe you may run into issues with the i5/8 gigs of ram. While the i7/16 gigs of ram will cost a small fortune, I believe it will be the better option based on that you are wanting to use it for.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
IMHO, I believe you may run into issues with the i5/8 gigs of ram. While the i7/16 gigs of ram will cost a small fortune, I believe it will be the better option based on that you are wanting to use it for.

Yes, the 16GB version will be expensive. If money is no object for the OP then go for it. I would tend to at least go with a configuration that has 8GB RAM.

YoTon

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
8GB may be not enough for video editing. IMHO 16 GB is the minimum you should aim for these days.
But this of course depends on what programs you are going to use. There are entry-level apps for basic editing (like trimming, adding transition effects, etc.), that won't require much resources. I'd suggest to think of an app that you want to install and use on your laptop first, then see its system requirements and also ask on app-specific forums what hardware do the users have.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
8GB may be not enough for video editing. IMHO 16 GB is the minimum you should aim for these days.
But this of course depends on what programs you are going to use. There are entry-level apps for basic editing (like trimming, adding transition effects, etc.), that won't require much resources. I'd suggest to think of an app that you want to install and use on your laptop first, then see its system requirements and also ask on app-specific forums what hardware do the users have.

As above, go for the 16GB version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786