How to make externally installed programs show in the uninstall section of control panel?

Dxrmy

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi, So I recently got a new SSD for my PC and Installed a fresh install of Windows on, not realizing that I would have to reinstall all of my old programs. I then decided to make a new folder on the SSD for all my old applications to go to, and they run fine, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them to all appear in the uninstall section of my settings. I am running on Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.330. I havent really taken any steps to figure out how to fix this because I really wouldnt know how to and any google searches only come up with "How to move installed programs to different drives" which involves the "Move" option next to "Uninstall".

Here is the screen of where I would like them to appear:
https://imgur.com/a/MxSuXCH

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
if you just copied them over and they are working, you were extremely lucky. I think your luck has run out though, I don't think you will get what you want. as far as I know, the only way is to reinstall them.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, So I recently got a new SSD for my PC and Installed a fresh install of Windows on, not realizing that I would have to reinstall all of my old programs. I then decided to make a new folder on the SSD for all my old applications to go to, and they run fine, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them to all appear in the uninstall section of my settings. I am running on Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.330. I havent really taken any steps to figure out how to fix this because I really wouldnt know how to and any google searches only come up with "How to move installed programs to different drives" which involves the "Move" option next to "Uninstall".

Here is the screen of where I would like them to appear:
https://imgur.com/a/MxSuXCH

Presuming these are standard Win32 applications.

There is a way but it involves exporting all the registry entries from your previous install and importing them to the install.

As well as modifying them to reflect the new directories in most cases as well as copying the files from ProgramData Directory, Local and Roaming directories.

Plus any system files added and services that get created during install.

As you can see it's not easy as simply importing the entire registry, you could do that but it is not recommended and you do so at your own risk.

But that rarely works on W10 given the natures of Windows As A Service, many settings may have changed values (usually the Username identifier which can't be changed easily as you could in Windows 7) and not to mention you will end up with dupelicate entries.

If they are windows store apps then you are as as @me just saying stated you're extremely lucky as app installs are tied to a unique username identifier and generally do not work on re-install especially being moved to a different directory.

Heck, in most cases you can't move them as they sometimes are locked - app install directory or a specific file(s) within the app install directory.

So, tldr easiest way is to re-install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte