Hey Dan...or anyone. What are the top tweaks, utilities, apps, browser extensions, etc that you install on a new PC?

I don't have too many myself, but wondering what I am missing or should consider.

For me, off the top of my head: WinRAR, eWallet, Lastpass extension, Paint.NET, Steam, and iTunes (sadly). Have been playing with Stardock Curtains lately for visual goodness.

Thanks!
    07-27-2020 02:58 PM
    Hey Dan...or anyone. What are the top tweaks, utilities, apps, browser extensions, etc that you install on a new PC?

I don't have too many myself, but wondering what I am missing or should consider.

For me, off the top of my head: WinRAR, eWallet, Lastpass extension, Paint.NET, Steam, and iTunes (sadly). Have been playing with Stardock Curtains lately for visual goodness.

Thanks!
    , in general (aside from uninstalling bloatware): ublock origin or adblock plus (sorry WC, but it is need to block malware and trackers). I like Firefox's Dark Reader plugin too (it is safe as well). Depending on the laptop/tablet, I also set max cpu usage in power plan to 95% to prevent weird fan issues with certain laptops or lower to give extra battery life at expense of some performance.
    I set the start menu to full too because I tend to categorize and group pinned apps/folders.

for movies: vlc, netflix app etc.
    for gaming: steam & gog.
    for mods: vortex / nexus.

registry on work pc: I increase the amount of mouse drag needed to move files within in file explorer to prevent moving files by accident.
    08-02-2020 10:08 AM