Why does a controller cause my display driver to crash

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

A year or so ago I bought a Hori RAP5 arcade controller to play fighting games and emulated titles. It worked perfectly. After a period of a few months disuse (i.e. multiple windows / nVidia updates) plugging it in causes the display driver to repeatedly crash until the device is removed.

I up to date on all Win10 and nVidia updates.

Steps taken and notes;
- Only causes issue in XB360 mode, switching to XBone mode stops the issue but is not useable in Win10
- Issue stops when unplugging the device with game still running
- Issue occurs in multiple games (Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat 11, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive) and emulators.
- Tested multiple XBox360 controllers (Original wired 360, Wireless with dongle, Astro C40) none of which exhibited this issue with any of the games mentioned above.

I think I have done due diligence in identifying the Hori RAP5 as the culprit, is there anything I can do to fix this issue, or is it just a case of "wait for Hori to address the issue" as I don't hold out much hope of them ever doing that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest loading Windows 10 in Safe Mode and checking if the issue persists with the Hori RAP5 to completely rule it out.

Hold Ctrl+shift (Or you can just use either left shift or right shift key) and then restart via the start menu and choose safe mode from the menu using the designated key.

If it doesn't then try connecting the Hori RAP5 to a external USB hub.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Signed up to reply :D, I will try connecting it in safe mode when I am able but can already state that the results are the same plugged into an external USB hub.

Thanks for joining!

Since it's the same with the external USB hub then it's sounding that the controller is indeed the culprit. Since it's crashing the display, running dxdiag (in safe mode and normal boot, before crashes and after crashes) wouldn't hurt.

Let us know if the issue occurs in safe mode when able.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3