09-17-2014 03:04 AM
95 1234
tools
    My Asus t100ta-dk003h came without the windows logo on the front...
    11-28-2013 12:36 AM
    Thanks so much for the great review and all the other posts! It has cemented my decision to ask Mrs. Clause to get me one for Christmas. I'm at the ground level of looking into netbooks/notebooks. I have an iPod Touch and love how it syncs MSFT Outlook between my work computer and the calendar on my iPod. I use the iPod for my alarm clock in the morning and notify me of all my meetings. Can you tell me if the T100 will do this, or will I have to manually update my Outlook notifications to the T100 calendar? I seriously have no idea. Thanks for your help!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    11-30-2013 12:13 AM
    Thanks so much for the great review and all the other posts! It has cemented my decision to ask Mrs. Clause to get me one for Christmas. I'm at the ground level of looking into netbooks/notebooks. I have an iPod Touch and love how it syncs MSFT Outlook between my work computer and the calendar on my iPod. I use the iPod for my alarm clock in the morning and notify me of all my meetings. Can you tell me if the T100 will do this, or will I have to manually update my Outlook notifications to the T100 calendar? I seriously have no idea. Thanks for your help!
    Ok. So I dug around and...the old school Outlook isn't on the T100 and doesn't come with it. That isn't included in the free Office bundle that comes with the T100. That old school outlook apparently comes with the more expensive versions of Office. Now, I think you may be able to use regular Calendar to do that, but don't quote me. The old school Outlook app is bundled in with the MSFT Surface line for free. I also browsed in the Windows 8 app store and there may be sync apps that you can use to sync the iPod touch to the T100 to have access to the stuff in the Calendar of the old school Outlook that you use on your work machine. SYNC 2 was what popped out as one of those apps. Sadly, I don't have an iPod to test this one out for you. Hope your research into this helps...
    12-01-2013 07:42 AM
    Great review! I'm still on the fence between one of these and the Dell. I have the OG ASUS TransformerTF101-B1. Never bought the keyboard for it, and use the Supernote App to take handwritten notes a LOT. I used to have an HP laptop with the rotating screen and stylus and used Notepad for taking notes back in college. So, it really comes down to whether or not I want an 8" or 10" form factor. Plus, Dell is going to release a keyboard in the near future anyways. Decisions, decisions...
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    12-03-2013 11:46 AM
    Great review! I'm still on the fence between one of these and the Dell. I have the OG ASUS TransformerTF101-B1. Never bought the keyboard for it, and use the Supernote App to take handwritten notes a LOT. I used to have an HP laptop with the rotating screen and stylus and used Notepad for taking notes back in college. So, it really comes down to whether or not I want an 8" or 10" form factor. Plus, Dell is going to release a keyboard in the near future anyways. Decisions, decisions...
    Yup, picking between those two are hard. It really is a form factor issue and how much work you plan to do on the tablet. Personally, if you're gonna do more work, the T100 is the better get. But if you really want it portable, the Dell is the way to go.
    12-03-2013 12:03 PM
    I tested this T100 in a shop a few days ago and I must say that you see immediately it was made with cheap device in mind. The plastic is cheap and creaks, you can't open it with the keyboard attached like a netbook and it's a bit slower than the Surface 2. The buttons are strange too. All in all, you get what you pay for :)
    12-04-2013 09:33 AM
    I tested this T100 in a shop a few days ago and I must say that you see immediately it was made with cheap device in mind. The plastic is cheap and creaks, you can't open it with the keyboard attached like a netbook and it's a bit slower than the Surface 2. The buttons are strange too. All in all, you get what you pay for :)
    Um, I'm say you're grossly incorrect about the "you cannot open it like a netbook". You can, and use it like a netbook with no issues outside of the well documented 90% size keyboard and less than stellar trackpad. Its a sub $400 hybrid tablet. Some comprises had to be made someplace...😊...

Um, the chipset performance wise between the two is negligible. Remember, the Surface 2 is running RT, which should be faster than full Windows. While the Surface is nice, it's not setting the place on fire.
    12-04-2013 02:04 PM
    Well, I've made my choice. I'm going to get the Dell. It outshines (literally) the ASUS in terms of screen brightness (377lux vs 204lux), and the active digitizer/stylus seals the deal. Now my only hope is that they release the keyboard soon. May have to find a third party one...

BTW, here's a really cool accessory that could potentially benefit you as well:

12-04-2013 05:25 PM
    Well, I've made my choice. I'm going to get the Dell. It outshines (literally) the ASUS in terms of screen brightness (377lux vs 204lux), and the active digitizer/stylus seals the deal. Now my only hope is that they release the keyboard soon. May have to find a third party one...

BTW, here's a really cool accessory that could potentially benefit you as well:

The Dell is a great choice. The best two sub $400 tablets are the Venue 8 Pro and the T100. I chose the T100 because as finicky *** the keyboard is, I didn't have to spend extra to buy a keyboard. In fact, the only 3 accessories I bought for it are a 64GB microSD card, a stylus and a screen protector. Yes, you can use a stylus and it runs just fine on the T100. Maybe not as fancy as the Surface or Venue 8, but the functionality is there.

The plugable stuff is interesting and shows how versatile these new tablets are with good processors.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2013 06:34 PM
    Well, I know where my bonus check is going now. Thanks

I'm glad I didn't get a Surface RT now.
    Jazmac and MA83 like this.
    12-04-2013 07:26 PM
    Um, I'm say you're grossly incorrect about the "you cannot open it like a netbook". You can, and use it like a netbook with no issues outside of the well documented 90% size keyboard and less than stellar trackpad. Its a sub $400 hybrid tablet. Some comprises had to be made someplace......

Um, the chipset performance wise between the two is negligible. Remember, the Surface 2 is running RT, which should be faster than full Windows. While the Surface is nice, it's not setting the place on fire.
    I meant you can't open it over a certain point, because the mechanism is made in this way.
    12-04-2013 09:02 PM
    I meant you can't open it over a certain point, because the mechanism is made in this way.
    I know that's what you meant, but it's not like the hinges of netbooks don't get in the way. I mean, my EEE PC still runs and you can "only open it out to a certain point". It's called achieving the right weight balance. While I respect your opinion, I did have a knee jerk "trolling" thought pass through my mind...
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 12-05-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    12-04-2013 09:24 PM
    It opens wide enough IMHO. If you need it to open totally flat for some reason then just undock the screen and use it as a tablet instead.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    12-05-2013 09:12 AM
    It opens wide enough IMHO. If you need it to open totally flat for some reason then just undock the screen and use it as a tablet instead.
    Or if you don't like the dock, it does support wireless keyboards too...
    12-05-2013 09:54 AM
    Or if you don't like the dock, it does support wireless keyboards too...
    Yeah, but it doesn't have a stand like the surface does..
    12-05-2013 11:23 AM
    Yeah, but it doesn't have a stand like the surface does..
    People have problem solved that issue, so I won't do it here...
    12-05-2013 12:28 PM
    People have problem solved that issue, so I won't do it here...
    I don't know what you mean, but ok.
    And I previously had a netbook and you could open it more than this transformer, just so you know. And it was Asus too.
    12-05-2013 01:47 PM
    I don't know what you mean, but ok.
    And I previously had a netbook and you could open it more than this transformer, just so you know. And it was Asus too.
    The Surface is its current design is one of the very few, if not the only one, with a built in kick stand - much less one designed that way. For the other 98+% of tablets out there with no kickstand, people use wireless keyboards in the form of things like cases with the keyboard attached. That's what I meant by problem solving - you don't HAVE to use the bundled in keyboard if it really isn't convenient for you.

The Asus T100 is one of the few, if not the only that has designed their docking station to be just a keyboard, ONLY, especially in the manner they chose. Because of that, they had to make sure that the weight in dock mode is evenly balanced. So they restricted hoe far back you can adjust the hinge when the tablet is in dock mode.

So yeah "you had a netbook from Asus", but remember - different functionality. That thing was bottom heavy because all the key components were in the base. The top part that had the screen probably just the screen and camera in it. With the T100, because it is designed to with or without the keyboard, they chose to restrict how far you can tilt it back based on how it docks.

I mean, if not being able to bend the attached tablet far enough when it is in dock mode bugs you, it bugs you. If you don't like the feel like the keyboard,or how it feels like cheap, creaky plastic, that's your opinion. Still, with all those issues posted out, it is still the best 10" FULL 8.1 sub $400 hybrid tablet around right now...
    hcrick likes this.
    12-06-2013 12:03 AM
    The Surface is its current design is one of the very few, if not the only one, with a built in kick stand - much less one designed that way. For the other 98+% of tablets out there with no kickstand, people use wireless keyboards in the form of things like cases with the keyboard attached. That's what I meant by problem solving - you don't HAVE to use the bundled in keyboard if it really isn't convenient for you.

The Asus T100 is one of the few, if not the only that has designed their docking station to be just a keyboard, ONLY, especially in the manner they chose. Because of that, they had to make sure that the weight in dock mode is evenly balanced. So they restricted hoe far back you can adjust the hinge when the tablet is in dock mode.

So yeah "you had a netbook from Asus", but remember - different functionality. That thing was bottom heavy because all the key components were in the base. The top part that had the screen probably just the screen and camera in it. With the T100, because it is designed to with or without the keyboard, they chose to restrict how far you can tilt it back based on how it docks.

I mean, if not being able to bend the attached tablet far enough when it is in dock mode bugs you, it bugs you. If you don't like the feel like the keyboard,or how it feels like cheap, creaky plastic, that's your opinion. Still, with all those issues posted out, it is still the best 10" FULL 8.1 sub $400 hybrid tablet around right now...
    I agree, I thought it might be like that because of the balance. And I agree with best P/P too. It bugs me only because the unit in the store had a cracking casing, and the screen didn't look so good to me. Probably because of the lower ppi than surface 2, or maybe lower brightness ?

There's a deal in italy now, 330€ for 32gb, should I go for it (it's sooo cheap :D) or is it better to get the 64gb version ?
    There's no 64 gb version in Italy for now, but in Slovenia we have 32gb for 400€ or 64gb for 430€, so it's 100€ more expensive.
    12-06-2013 09:08 AM
    Thanks a lot for looking into this! I really had no idea where to start or what to look for. I appreciate the work you have done in your review and answering everyone's questions. Thanks again.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    12-06-2013 11:20 PM
    I agree, I thought it might be like that because of the balance. And I agree with best P/P too. It bugs me only because the unit in the store had a cracking casing, and the screen didn't look so good to me. Probably because of the lower ppi than surface 2, or maybe lower brightness ?

There's a deal in italy now, 330 for 32gb, should I go for it (it's sooo cheap :D) or is it better to get the 64gb version ?
    There's no 64 gb version in Italy for now, but in Slovenia we have 32gb for 400 or 64gb for 430, so it's 100 more expensive.
    it depends on your needs. The 32GB gives you about 17GB free out of the box (plus it has that 8GB recovery partition separate), while the 64GB gives about 37GB free (plus that 8GB recovery partition). If you can delete the recovery image and do a back up (possibly on a SD card) that frees up 8GB there.

My suggestion would be that of you don't need too much internal memory, get the 32GB. If you need the max space, then the 64GB makes sense. Either way, invest in 2 SD cards - 1 to use as for the recovery and a larger capacity card for any media files you may use. I've got the 64GB version with a 64GB card because I needed max space, but there are many 32GB T100 users out there who are satisfied with that model too...
    12-07-2013 07:19 AM
    Thanks a lot for looking into this! I really had no idea where to start or what to look for. I appreciate the work you have done in your review and answering everyone's questions. Thanks again.
    No problems at all. The good thing is that with 8.1 being out now and those Bay Trail chips available, it's the first time consumers have good hardware choices to match a capable software. I was really tempted in buying a Vivo Smart Tab, but I was rewarded for being patient with the T100. If I wasn't a student now, I'd buy the Venue 8 Pro for its portability.

Figuring out what your needs are is always important first in buying anything. Also, while there are great choices out there, it always pays to dig around and get your questions answered before you dig into you wallet to pony up that $$$.
    12-07-2013 07:25 AM
    had a Surface RT from day 1 (preordered from MS)
    bought both keyboards
    just got 64GB ASUS T100T
    as far as the surface
    it has nice hardware but the old Surface RT stand is no better than the asus key board
    and the magnetic attachment is no comparison to the ASUS locked in connection
    but the bottom line is that the full windows 8.1 blows windows RT out of the water no ifs and or buts
    metro is nice but if you want entertainment then an ipad mini retina is the way to go or the new Dell Venue 8

from a price point comparison
    once devices like the ASUS T100 go down to $199 (keyboard included) which I predict within the next year, it'll be a no brainer
    I predict full windows 8.XX wifi tablets under $250 and Android wifi tablets under $75 next holiday season
    Cheap android tablets will be THE stocking stuffer of 2014.
    Cheap Win8 tablets will continue the demise of the laptop as more and more of what we do moves to the cloud
    and battery life will make all day portable computing a realistic expectation

The $350 64GB ASUS T100 and $99 16GB DELL Venue 8Pro is forcing a new pricing category for the coming year

As I took my ASUS T100 on the road last week as my new laptop(13" Toshiba Portege) replacement, every exec i sat across asked me about it and what i thought about it as well as was either in the process of buying something similar or buying something like the DELL but everyone wanted a true windows 8 OS tablet and nothing less, otherwise they preferred an ipad versus anything else. No one had any interest in a android tablet like the nexus7 or chromebook.
    12-08-2013 05:02 PM
    had a Surface RT from day 1 (preordered from MS)
    bought both keyboards
    just got 64GB ASUS T100T
    as far as the surface
    it has nice hardware but the old Surface RT stand is no better than the asus key board
    and the magnetic attachment is no comparison to the ASUS locked in connection
    but the bottom line is that the full windows 8.1 blows windows RT out of the water no ifs and or buts
    metro is nice but if you want entertainment then an ipad mini retina is the way to go or the new Dell Venue 8

from a price point comparison
    once devices like the ASUS T100 go down to $199 (keyboard included) which I predict within the next year, it'll be a no brainer
    I predict full windows 8.XX wifi tablets under $250 and Android wifi tablets under $75 next holiday season
    Cheap android tablets will be THE stocking stuffer of 2014.
    Cheap Win8 tablets will continue the demise of the laptop as more and more of what we do moves to the cloud
    and battery life will make all day portable computing a realistic expectation

The $350 64GB ASUS T100 and $99 16GB DELL Venue 8Pro is forcing a new pricing category for the coming year

As I took my ASUS T100 on the road last week as my new laptop(13" Toshiba Portege) replacement, every exec i sat across asked me about it and what i thought about it as well as was either in the process of buying something similar or buying something like the DELL but everyone wanted a true windows 8 OS tablet and nothing less, otherwise they preferred an ipad versus anything else. No one had any interest in a android tablet like the nexus7 or chromebook.
    Great points. It is this vs the iPad on one level, and the Dell Venue 8 vs the iPad Mini. I just think that for full productivity, especially from a managing IT Dept thought, the T100 is cheaper and slightly more productive than the full sized iPad, and the Venue 8 does the same for the iPad mini.

I think you're spot on if these become cheap tablets for next year, suddenly that cheap tablet market gets a lot better and we see less of the Android cheapies.
    12-08-2013 08:56 PM
    Christmas money has come and gone and a new T100 is on its way. Unfortunately, most of it was Best Buy gift cards. So, it's only the 32GB version, but I just noticed that the 64 is up on their site just not available yet. HOPEFULLY, it's available before the 15th and I can straight up trade in the 32 for the 64!
    12-30-2013 11:02 AM
95 1234