My Asus T100 Review - A Versatile Workhorse

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to replicate the review from AnandTech because they a fantastic job from a comprehensive perspective. My experiences here are from a more average user.

I bought the T100 to replace my well aged Asus EEPC 1005HA netbook and my HP Touchpad. I have been using XP since January 2002 as my daily driver at home. Yes, I skipped over on upgrade opportunities for Vista, Window 7 and Windows 8. So once I decided to got to graduate school, I realized my netbook was too slow for note taking and my Touchpad lacked the full versatility I needed - even though it is a dual boot with Android Jellybean on it. I don't use my desktop as much when i am at home, unless it is to write papers, manage music on my phone or mess around with my Nexus phone. So I needed something that I could use as a tablet to browse while watching TV, type notes on in classes and to do paper outlines, and to compliment my WP8 models - the 8X and possibly a Lumia 925.

It was hard to find much info on the T100. previews were slim and up to 8.1 launch AnandTech was the only full preview out there. BestBuy USA wasn't going to carry this at launch, since they were pushing the Surface line in stores. So I did what any smart person in the computer world would to - got o Tgerdirect.com or negg.com to see if they had it. I got mine from newgg.com. I wanted the 64GB version because quite frankly, I have no intentions in upgrading for a while - I kept my Touchpad for 2 years, and will still use it because I love WebOS. I pay $400 for it - got the free shipping option and received it under 4 days - I'm in the NYC Metro Area.

Here are my impressions from the past 2 weeks + of ownership.

This is a big jump for me. I use my T100 mostly in Metro mode - that's why MSFT still sells the Surface as RT - but when using Windows 8, a lot of stuff in in I like. Love the split screen and task manager side bar. I like Charms so far. it is a curve learning the gestures, but they are useful so far. All in all, I like 8.1

Things to improve:

Don't like how the OS handles media on external storage. I've popped my 32 GB card in from the Lumia 810 I use and the music there doesn't show up easily in the Music app.
Improve the core apps, especially Xbox Music.

T100 itself

Pros:

- the screen is really nice. I think the Surface has a better screen, but you really cannot go wrong with this one if you use it mostly indoors and such. My apartment has great natural lighting too (I don't use curtains either) so the screen is still serviceable when you use it in direct light. For most people, they will enjoy using it. It isn't as harsh to look at if you were working late night and had the screen on as your only light in the room either.
- size and weight. I placed the T100 on top of my EEPC and the dimensions are roughly the same. Asus must be commended for making a serious upgrade from the EEPC line by keeping the dimensions similar but making it lighter. Yes, when docked, the combined T100 is lighter in weight than the EEPC. The tablet itself is pretty light. Not iPad Air light, but lighter than the Touchpad and my GF's Nexus 7 (2012 edition), maybe as light as my sister's iPad Mini (2012).
- battery life is long with this thing as stated in the reviews. Based on my usage, the only time I take the charger with my is to my GF's house.
- the keypad from an ascetics point of view, looks really nice. the keys are good enough if you are doing light typing for short stretches.
- WOW factor. I always get people's attention with it because it show it first docked with the keypad and when I undock it, people look at it very impressed.
- overall design is nice. wish the back was metal, but corners were cut here. nice to see they use that standard Transformer design pattern on the back

Cons:

- it takes a while to charge. 8 hours to charge initially, 4 hours to charge if you run the battery down completely.
- the supplied cable was too short. I use my Touchpad cable to charge because quite frankly, the output standard is the same and i'm drowning in cables at home already.
- wish that there was even a small battery in the dock. Yes, corners were cut to keep this thing $350-$400, but even a small battery would make a difference for someone who pushes their tablet in dock mode
- the keyboard isn't as nice as I would like it to be. I think my EEPC has a better keyboard ergonomically speaking. the keys were bigger and even though the spacing was tighter, because the keys were bigger you had less room to make errors. I know this is designed after the MacBook, but I guess I like the old school feel.
- not a fan of the trackpad. it is a bit too finicky for my taste. The EEPC still has a better trackpad. Yes, it is a secondary feature for most who will use the touchscreen - but for those who will turn the touchscreen off and use it more like a laptop, the trackpad is a little subpar.
- improve the microSD slot. I don't like how the card juts out a little bit. they could still make it a little more flush and make it still pop out easier on press.

Ways in which they could improve:

- add another USB port
- add a small battery in the dock (I don't think they will do that however)
- drop the 32GB version ( I know they won't do this either)
- address that Windows icon that's painted on the tablet. it does nothing, so why not just remove the actual windows button at the side, place the functionality in the spot where they have it, and just have a sensor that disables that button when you plug it into the dock?
- change the internal memory from eMMC to SSD to speed up transfer rates
- improve the keyboard in the dock

So is this a better buy than the Surface 2? It depends. The T100 has better out of the box value for money. So you get a lot more out of your one purchase. The Surface has better accessories. One can argue that for more causal type reading and watching movies, you get better viewing angles from adjust the kickstand on the Surface 2 than the T100 with the dock attached.

Sadly the Surface does have a better industrial design and screen than the T100. From what i have been able to use in the stores, the Touch cover with its bigger keys is really a better typing experience for me than the T100's current dock. If MSFT wanted to be killers here, i'd make the Surface run the 32bit version of Windows 8.1 and the Pro line run the 64bit version. Then come up with the 8" Surface and run THAT on RT for about $250-$300.

All in all, the T100 and the Dell Venue 8 Pro offer the best in their class in terms of value for money. I don't regret my purchase. Asus did the right thing by getting out of the RT business and upgrading the EEPC line with the T100. I am curious to see if they take the same aggressive approach with adding value for money I terms of new features to the T100 line with each upgrade as they have done with the Nexus 7 models so far.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's an excellent review. I like seeing reviews from real users, not just from tech site bloggers. Good luck with your device, and please update your review if any updates improve the device (or make it worse--which I hope doesn't happen).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's an excellent review. I like seeing reviews from real users, not just from tech site bloggers. Good luck with your device, and please update your review if any updates improve the device (or make it worse--which I hope doesn't happen).

Will definitely do. Since I've gotten my T100, it has been getting out maintenance updates. It runs a little bit smoother now, not that it was slow or sloppy when I first powered it on. All in all, a solid device so far. I'm looking to get some serious mileage out of it.

Alexander Burr

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the excellent review. I ordered mine through HSN last night and am just waiting on the shipping. I was curious about the docking station and i know this is a budget thing to keep in mind but is it possible depending on reviews and popular demand that Asus could put out a deluxe keyboard docking station as a seperate accessory? This would sold the all the issues you had with the keyboard it ships with. They could add a battery to it as well as more USB ports and back light the keys. Also could be made out of something more durable. They could just make it an accessory for those that were looking for more from the keyboard. Anyway just my two cents. Im glad its working fine.

Do you know if Ubunto or Android can be run on it as well? You mentioned a dual boot on your other device and wasnt sure if it could be done on the T100. Anyway thanks again for the review, good stuff.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the excellent review. I ordered mine through HSN last night and am just waiting on the shipping. I was curious about the docking station and i know this is a budget thing to keep in mind but is it possible depending on reviews and popular demand that Asus could put out a deluxe keyboard docking station as a seperate accessory? This would sold the all the issues you had with the keyboard it ships with. They could add a battery to it as well as more USB ports and back light the keys. Also could be made out of something more durable. They could just make it an accessory for those that were looking for more from the keyboard. Anyway just my two cents. Im glad its working fine.

Do you know if Ubunto or Android can be run on it as well? You mentioned a dual boot on your other device and wasnt sure if it could be done on the T100. Anyway thanks again for the review, good stuff.

I'm not sure if you can run Ubuntu and or Android on it. Yes, the hardware itself is probably conducive to it, but I won't lie, my hacking skills aren't up to that challenge.

It would be nice if this thing sells enough where Asus might sell a separate and improved compatible keyboard, but my gut tells me that they will wait until the successor to the T100 to address my concerns. I think once you start to backlight keys and such, this can be a $450 tablet easy. If they dropped the 32GB version and made those changes and still keep it at $450, it will still sell plenty.

Don't get me wrong, one can get a hang of the keyboard and do well enough with it on long stretches, but it is a bit cramped and the track pad is subpar.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can run Ubuntu and or Android on it. Yes, the hardware itself is probably conducive to it, but I won't lie, my hacking skills aren't up to that challenge.

It would be nice if this thing sells enough where Asus might sell a separate and improved compatible keyboard, but my gut tells me that they will wait until the successor to the T100 to address my concerns. I think once you start to backlight keys and such, this can be a $450 tablet easy. If they dropped the 32GB version and made those changes and still keep it at $450, it will still plenty.

Don't get me wrong, one can vet a hang of the keyboard and do well enough with it on long stretches, but it is a bit cramped and the track pad is subpar.

Dual boot is trickier with UEFI rather than BIOS, but it is possible.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
What do you all think of using thus to replace a Surface RT?

It depends on what you use the Surface to do. Even though it is still RT, MSFT is gonna support the OG Surface for a a while longer. While the Tegra chipset is now one cycle behind, it is hard justifying dropping a Surface for the T100. Unless you use Windows 8.1 alot, I cannot suggest making that move.

The T100 is aimed more at folks like me who haven't bought a Windows related tablet yet. I waited until I saw what was out the go round before buying my T100. If the initial offerings were underwhelming, I would have gone for a OG Surface as a viable cheaper substitute.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love Windows 8.1 on my Probook (which I've maxed out, spec wise) and on my Surface RT. The only thing I'd really do differently if I had Windows Core/Professional instead of RT would be to install two work applications and VPN instead of relying on an RDP connection to the terminal server.

greenears

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 32GB for a week and love it!

However, I would like to know if I'm the only one who is having issues turning on the device with an empty battery: the Asus logo appears briefly and then it hard crashes with a scrambled greenish screen or, sometimes, a BSOD. If I plug it in, then all is good.

This is my first MS tablet, but after owning many iPads and a Nexus, I would expects a friendly notification to plug it in rather than an ugly hard crash!

Is anyone else having this problem? Asus told me this is normal because "it's not a tablet, it's a notebook".

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Asus T100TA 64GB a week ago at Walmart for $379 plus tax. This has replaced my aging Gateway 10" netbook. It was a damn good move on my part. Asus packed quite a bit into such a small and versatile package. The quad core Bay Trail multi tasks without breaking a sweat. I thought the 2GB of memory wouldn't be enough, but I rarely see above 59% used. Yes the keyboard is a little cramped. What 10" netbook isn't? It only took a couple of days and my typing speeds are back to normal. The battery life is fantastic. I have used it at work on our VPN and at the days end still have over 50% battery left. I shut off the Asus reading app and my battery life soared!

In tablet mode, I use the metro desktop, and docked I use the standard Windows desktop. I added classic shell and it's about as perfect a setup that I could ask for. I really like the Windows surface. Great product all the way around. It's price prohibitive for the masses IMHO. The Asus T100 is right on the mark for the average consumer. At $379, you can't beat the overall package. At this price point. it's no wonder why it has sold out just about every where. Asus hit a home run with this one. I am VERY happy with my purchase!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Asus T100TA 64GB a week ago at Walmart for $379 plus tax. This has replaced my aging Gateway 10" netbook. It was a damn good move on my part. Asus packed quite a bit into such a small and versatile package. The quad core Bay Trail multi tasks without breaking a sweat. I thought the 2GB of memory wouldn't be enough, but I rarely see above 59% used. Yes the keyboard is a little cramped. What 10" netbook isn't? It only took a couple of days and my typing speeds are back to normal. The battery life is fantastic. I have used it at work on our VPN and at the days end still have over 50% battery left. I shut off the Asus reading app and my battery life soared!

In tablet mode, I use the metro desktop, and docked I use the standard Windows desktop. I added classic shell and it's about as perfect a setup that I could ask for. I really like the Windows surface. Great product all the way around. It's price prohibitive for the masses IMHO. The Asus T100 is right on the mark for the average consumer. At $379, you can't beat the overall package. At this price point. it's no wonder why it has sold out just about every where. Asus hit a home run with this one. I am VERY happy with my purchase!

Welcome aboard! I think my favorite moment so far with my T100 was today. I did a general workshop for adolescents males from the ages of 13-18 at one of my favorite community partners in midtown NYC. I did the hour long presentation with my T100 in tablet mode, and when I went to dock it to show an 8 minute PSA I streamed from tethering it to my unlocked 920, I heard some whispers and gasps. One of the teens asked, "is that an iPad?" I said, "no, it's a Windows tablet". I heard another say, "I want one of those for Christmas". Asus did a tremendous job with this indeed.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review I've been debating between this the dell venue 8 pro and the hp omni def will have to hear more about the hp but im favoring this one more now

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Welcome aboard! I think my favorite moment so far with my T100 was today. I did a general workshop for adolescents males from the ages of 13-18 at one of my favorite community partners in midtown NYC. I did the hour long presentation with my T100 in tablet mode, and when I went to dock it to show an 8 minute PSA I streamed from tethering it to my unlocked 920, I heard some whispers and gasps. One of the teens asked, "is that an iPad?" I said, "no, it's a Windows tablet". I heard another say, "I want one of those for Christmas". Asus did a tremendous job with this indeed.

LOL I did the same thing the first day I took it to work. I took it out of my netbook bag, used it docked. I had it WIFIed using my 822 as a hotspot. When I un-docked the tablet the comments were priceless! While it's docked, unless you know it's a T100, most people will think it's just a netbook. Hit that un-dock button and watch their eyes go wide! :smile: Asus and the T100 could kill the Surface RT market. It's that good of a product.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review I've been debating between this the dell venue 8 pro and the hp omni def will have to hear more about the hp but im favoring this one more now

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

It depends what your needs are. The Venue 8 Pro is a great buy if you want a smaller package. At $350 price point, you've got to ask yourself - do you want more storage space (64GB Venue 8 Pro) or does a slightly bigger screen and more versatility with the bundled dock (T100) a better deal?

That's a tough choice. I may choose the Dell here if I were going to use the stylus as a replacement for the keyboard of the T100 - maybe I'm writing more handwritten notes than typing papers.

In the $400 range, the T100 is class leading over both the HP and a few others that have been announced. What for me puts it over the top is that the trade of a slightly faster processor and two cameras (the other offerings) doesn't beat the bundled in keyboard, larger storage, and the longer battery life of the T100.

Its a clear winner all around. Yes it has flaws, but Asus nailed the target audience with a high quality bargain based product.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL I did the same thing the first day I took it to work. I took it out of my netbook bag, used it docked. I had it WIFIed using my 822 as a hotspot. When I un-docked the tablet the comments were priceless! While it's docked, unless you know it's a T100, most people will think it's just a netbook. Hit that un-dock button and watch their eyes go wide! :smile: Asus and the T100 could kill the Surface RT market. It's that good of a product.

People started to make the T100 vs Surface RT. Overall, it is still a better buy than the Surface 1, because it is lighter, runs full Windows, and has better chipset. Surface RT has the better accessories, including keyboard, kickstand and better industrial design.

It gets tricky when comparing the 64GB T100 to the Surface 2. The chipsets are a wash. So you are pitting price and a better startup out of the box experience (keyboard included, double the storage & full Windows) for a better designed, better accessories, better media consumption (kickstand). That's a tough call...

NikkiShanshu

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the review - useful to read one from a user's perspective.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm new to tablets, although habe been familiar with iPads for some time now. The T100 looks perfect for me as I will be able to use it for work and play (and can afford it) but I wanted to know more about its capability when using a stylus.

I like the idea of being able to write on the screen when taking notes in a meeting so that I can type them up later or better still convert automatically to text. I know that there are iTunes apps for this, but is there something similar in the Windows Store? And how responsive is the T100 screen to the use of a stylus for writing.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the review - useful to read one from a user's perspective.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm new to tablets, although habe been familiar with iPads for some time now. The T100 looks perfect for me as I will be able to use it for work and play (and can afford it) but I wanted to know more about its capability when using a stylus.

I like the idea of being able to write on the screen when taking notes in a meeting so that I can type them up later or better still convert automatically to text. I know that there are iTunes apps for this, but is there something similar in the Windows Store? And how responsive is the T100 screen to the use of a stylus for writing.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment.

I actually dug up an old iPad style stylus I got when I had an old iPhone 4 bumper. It works just fine with the T100. On the Windows 8.1 keyboard, you've got a section that allows you to insert your handwritten text once the keyboard automatically converts what you've written. There is no extra app needed. I tested this out and it works in a notepad app and in Word and it works flawlessly. The conversion delay was quicker than I thought as it recognized my hand writing pretty nicely.

I think the Dell Venue 8 Pro stylus and ones like that may work a bit better from a comfort point of view since they feel more like a natural pen/pencil. Perhaps adding that to your arsenal would make the T100 even more productive. Actually I may think about using this functionality a bit more myself...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb