My Asus T100 Review - A Versatile Workhorse

NikkiShanshu

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for testing this out for me. My one remaining reservation about buying this product has effectively been answered by your post so now I'm totally sold on the product and will be getting one as soon as I can. Hopefully it might appear in a Black Friday sale!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for testing this out for me. My one remaining reservation about buying this product has effectively been answered by your post so now I'm totally sold on the product and will be getting one as soon as I can. Hopefully it might appear in a Black Friday sale!

You're welcome. If there is a Best Buy near you, pop in there and see it as they have the T100 in stock and test it out (they may not have the keyboard on display). Newegg.com (where bought mine) I think is running a deal already where you can knock a few dollars off with a coupon. I'd strongly suggest getting a screen protector from amazon for the T100, but I'm a screen protector kind of guy anyways.

balama

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
just bought mine this weekend at walmart as well
long charge time
but if the battery is twice that of my original surfaceRT i'm happy
full windows 8 is perfect
I already loaded gototmeeting, itunes and soon cisco connectanywhere
with that I'm a happy camper

ASUS is offering cloud storage for free which is nice but I have skydrive, box and dropbox as well.
the USB 3 port on the keyboard is great for connecting external drives

cceller

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine at Best Buy for 349 as my first Windows mobile device and I am enjoying it. I use Windows 8.1 on a desktop and laptop (desktop mode) so the OS wasn't totally new to me ....

I could see myself moving to a Windows Phone (from Android) if they came out with a littler bigger device on Verizon (currently enjoying my S4).

Looking forward to more good things from MSFT in the mobile arena.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Bought mine at Best Buy for 349 as my first Windows mobile device and I am enjoying it. I use Windows 8.1 on a desktop and laptop (desktop mode) so the OS wasn't totally new to me ....

I could see myself moving to a Windows Phone (from Android) if they came out with a littler bigger device on Verizon (currently enjoying my S4).

Looking forward to more good things from MSFT in the mobile arena.

Welcome! Keep an eye out for the rumored Lumia 929 since you're a VZW user. Feel free to post in the tips and tricks/getting started thread here so new T100 users (and new 8.1 users) can learn from your experiences...

darenhatch

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the great review and all the other posts! It has cemented my decision to ask Mrs. Clause to get me one for Christmas. I'm at the ground level of looking into netbooks/notebooks. I have an iPod Touch and love how it syncs MSFT Outlook between my work computer and the calendar on my iPod. I use the iPod for my alarm clock in the morning and notify me of all my meetings. Can you tell me if the T100 will do this, or will I have to manually update my Outlook notifications to the T100 calendar? I seriously have no idea. Thanks for your help!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the great review and all the other posts! It has cemented my decision to ask Mrs. Clause to get me one for Christmas. I'm at the ground level of looking into netbooks/notebooks. I have an iPod Touch and love how it syncs MSFT Outlook between my work computer and the calendar on my iPod. I use the iPod for my alarm clock in the morning and notify me of all my meetings. Can you tell me if the T100 will do this, or will I have to manually update my Outlook notifications to the T100 calendar? I seriously have no idea. Thanks for your help!

Ok. So I dug around and...the old school Outlook isn't on the T100 and doesn't come with it. That isn't included in the free Office bundle that comes with the T100. That old school outlook apparently comes with the more expensive versions of Office. Now, I think you may be able to use regular Calendar to do that, but don't quote me. The old school Outlook app is bundled in with the MSFT Surface line for free. I also browsed in the Windows 8 app store and there may be sync apps that you can use to sync the iPod touch to the T100 to have access to the stuff in the Calendar of the old school Outlook that you use on your work machine. SYNC 2 was what popped out as one of those apps. Sadly, I don't have an iPod to test this one out for you. Hope your research into this helps...

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Great review! I'm still on the fence between one of these and the Dell. I have the OG ASUS TransformerTF101-B1. Never bought the keyboard for it, and use the Supernote App to take handwritten notes a LOT. I used to have an HP laptop with the rotating screen and stylus and used Notepad for taking notes back in college. So, it really comes down to whether or not I want an 8" or 10" form factor. Plus, Dell is going to release a keyboard in the near future anyways. Decisions, decisions...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Great review! I'm still on the fence between one of these and the Dell. I have the OG ASUS TransformerTF101-B1. Never bought the keyboard for it, and use the Supernote App to take handwritten notes a LOT. I used to have an HP laptop with the rotating screen and stylus and used Notepad for taking notes back in college. So, it really comes down to whether or not I want an 8" or 10" form factor. Plus, Dell is going to release a keyboard in the near future anyways. Decisions, decisions...

Yup, picking between those two are hard. It really is a form factor issue and how much work you plan to do on the tablet. Personally, if you're gonna do more work, the T100 is the better get. But if you really want it portable, the Dell is the way to go.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I tested this T100 in a shop a few days ago and I must say that you see immediately it was made with cheap device in mind. The plastic is cheap and creaks, you can't open it with the keyboard attached like a netbook and it's a bit slower than the Surface 2. The buttons are strange too. All in all, you get what you pay for :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I tested this T100 in a shop a few days ago and I must say that you see immediately it was made with cheap device in mind. The plastic is cheap and creaks, you can't open it with the keyboard attached like a netbook and it's a bit slower than the Surface 2. The buttons are strange too. All in all, you get what you pay for :)

Um, I'm say you're grossly incorrect about the "you cannot open it like a netbook". You can, and use it like a netbook with no issues outside of the well documented 90% size keyboard and less than stellar trackpad. Its a sub $400 hybrid tablet. Some comprises had to be made someplace...😊...

Um, the chipset performance wise between the two is negligible. Remember, the Surface 2 is running RT, which should be faster than full Windows. While the Surface is nice, it's not setting the place on fire.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've made my choice. I'm going to get the Dell. It outshines (literally) the ASUS in terms of screen brightness (377lux vs 204lux), and the active digitizer/stylus seals the deal. Now my only hope is that they release the keyboard soon. May have to find a third party one...

BTW, here's a really cool accessory that could potentially benefit you as well:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've made my choice. I'm going to get the Dell. It outshines (literally) the ASUS in terms of screen brightness (377lux vs 204lux), and the active digitizer/stylus seals the deal. Now my only hope is that they release the keyboard soon. May have to find a third party one...

BTW, here's a really cool accessory that could potentially benefit you as well:

http://youtu.be/jPPY4m8iY0k

The Dell is a great choice. The best two sub $400 tablets are the Venue 8 Pro and the T100. I chose the T100 because as finicky *** the keyboard is, I didn't have to spend extra to buy a keyboard. In fact, the only 3 accessories I bought for it are a 64GB microSD card, a stylus and a screen protector. Yes, you can use a stylus and it runs just fine on the T100. Maybe not as fancy as the Surface or Venue 8, but the functionality is there.

The plugable stuff is interesting and shows how versatile these new tablets are with good processors.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Um, I'm say you're grossly incorrect about the "you cannot open it like a netbook". You can, and use it like a netbook with no issues outside of the well documented 90% size keyboard and less than stellar trackpad. Its a sub $400 hybrid tablet. Some comprises had to be made someplace......

Um, the chipset performance wise between the two is negligible. Remember, the Surface 2 is running RT, which should be faster than full Windows. While the Surface is nice, it's not setting the place on fire.
I meant you can't open it over a certain point, because the mechanism is made in this way.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I meant you can't open it over a certain point, because the mechanism is made in this way.

I know that's what you meant, but it's not like the hinges of netbooks don't get in the way. I mean, my EEE PC still runs and you can "only open it out to a certain point". It's called achieving the right weight balance. While I respect your opinion, I did have a knee jerk "trolling" thought pass through my mind...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs