My Asus T100 Review - A Versatile Workhorse

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you mean, but ok.
And I previously had a netbook and you could open it more than this transformer, just so you know. And it was Asus too.

The Surface is its current design is one of the very few, if not the only one, with a built in kick stand - much less one designed that way. For the other 98+% of tablets out there with no kickstand, people use wireless keyboards in the form of things like cases with the keyboard attached. That's what I meant by problem solving - you don't HAVE to use the bundled in keyboard if it really isn't convenient for you.

The Asus T100 is one of the few, if not the only that has designed their docking station to be just a keyboard, ONLY, especially in the manner they chose. Because of that, they had to make sure that the weight in dock mode is evenly balanced. So they restricted hoe far back you can adjust the hinge when the tablet is in dock mode.

So yeah "you had a netbook from Asus", but remember - different functionality. That thing was bottom heavy because all the key components were in the base. The top part that had the screen probably just the screen and camera in it. With the T100, because it is designed to with or without the keyboard, they chose to restrict how far you can tilt it back based on how it docks.

I mean, if not being able to bend the attached tablet far enough when it is in dock mode bugs you, it bugs you. If you don't like the feel like the keyboard,or how it feels like cheap, creaky plastic, that's your opinion. Still, with all those issues posted out, it is still the best 10" FULL 8.1 sub $400 hybrid tablet around right now...

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Surface is its current design is one of the very few, if not the only one, with a built in kick stand - much less one designed that way. For the other 98+% of tablets out there with no kickstand, people use wireless keyboards in the form of things like cases with the keyboard attached. That's what I meant by problem solving - you don't HAVE to use the bundled in keyboard if it really isn't convenient for you.

The Asus T100 is one of the few, if not the only that has designed their docking station to be just a keyboard, ONLY, especially in the manner they chose. Because of that, they had to make sure that the weight in dock mode is evenly balanced. So they restricted hoe far back you can adjust the hinge when the tablet is in dock mode.

So yeah "you had a netbook from Asus", but remember - different functionality. That thing was bottom heavy because all the key components were in the base. The top part that had the screen probably just the screen and camera in it. With the T100, because it is designed to with or without the keyboard, they chose to restrict how far you can tilt it back based on how it docks.

I mean, if not being able to bend the attached tablet far enough when it is in dock mode bugs you, it bugs you. If you don't like the feel like the keyboard,or how it feels like cheap, creaky plastic, that's your opinion. Still, with all those issues posted out, it is still the best 10" FULL 8.1 sub $400 hybrid tablet around right now...

I agree, I thought it might be like that because of the balance. And I agree with best P/P too. It bugs me only because the unit in the store had a cracking casing, and the screen didn't look so good to me. Probably because of the lower ppi than surface 2, or maybe lower brightness ?

There's a deal in italy now, 330€ for 32gb, should I go for it (it's sooo cheap :D) or is it better to get the 64gb version ?
There's no 64 gb version in Italy for now, but in Slovenia we have 32gb for 400€ or 64gb for 430€, so it's 100€ more expensive.

darenhatch

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for looking into this! I really had no idea where to start or what to look for. I appreciate the work you have done in your review and answering everyone's questions. Thanks again.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I thought it might be like that because of the balance. And I agree with best P/P too. It bugs me only because the unit in the store had a cracking casing, and the screen didn't look so good to me. Probably because of the lower ppi than surface 2, or maybe lower brightness ?

There's a deal in italy now, 330? for 32gb, should I go for it (it's sooo cheap :D) or is it better to get the 64gb version ?
There's no 64 gb version in Italy for now, but in Slovenia we have 32gb for 400? or 64gb for 430?, so it's 100? more expensive.

it depends on your needs. The 32GB gives you about 17GB free out of the box (plus it has that 8GB recovery partition separate), while the 64GB gives about 37GB free (plus that 8GB recovery partition). If you can delete the recovery image and do a back up (possibly on a SD card) that frees up 8GB there.

My suggestion would be that of you don't need too much internal memory, get the 32GB. If you need the max space, then the 64GB makes sense. Either way, invest in 2 SD cards - 1 to use as for the recovery and a larger capacity card for any media files you may use. I've got the 64GB version with a 64GB card because I needed max space, but there are many 32GB T100 users out there who are satisfied with that model too...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for looking into this! I really had no idea where to start or what to look for. I appreciate the work you have done in your review and answering everyone's questions. Thanks again.

No problems at all. The good thing is that with 8.1 being out now and those Bay Trail chips available, it's the first time consumers have good hardware choices to match a capable software. I was really tempted in buying a Vivo Smart Tab, but I was rewarded for being patient with the T100. If I wasn't a student now, I'd buy the Venue 8 Pro for its portability.

Figuring out what your needs are is always important first in buying anything. Also, while there are great choices out there, it always pays to dig around and get your questions answered before you dig into you wallet to pony up that $$$.

balama

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
had a Surface RT from day 1 (preordered from MS)
bought both keyboards
just got 64GB ASUS T100T
as far as the surface
it has nice hardware but the old Surface RT stand is no better than the asus key board
and the magnetic attachment is no comparison to the ASUS locked in connection
but the bottom line is that the full windows 8.1 blows windows RT out of the water no ifs and or buts
metro is nice but if you want entertainment then an ipad mini retina is the way to go or the new Dell Venue 8

from a price point comparison
once devices like the ASUS T100 go down to $199 (keyboard included) which I predict within the next year, it'll be a no brainer
I predict full windows 8.XX wifi tablets under $250 and Android wifi tablets under $75 next holiday season
Cheap android tablets will be THE stocking stuffer of 2014.
Cheap Win8 tablets will continue the demise of the laptop as more and more of what we do moves to the cloud
and battery life will make all day portable computing a realistic expectation

The $350 64GB ASUS T100 and $99 16GB DELL Venue 8Pro is forcing a new pricing category for the coming year

As I took my ASUS T100 on the road last week as my new laptop(13" Toshiba Portege) replacement, every exec i sat across asked me about it and what i thought about it as well as was either in the process of buying something similar or buying something like the DELL but everyone wanted a true windows 8 OS tablet and nothing less, otherwise they preferred an ipad versus anything else. No one had any interest in a android tablet like the nexus7 or chromebook.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
had a Surface RT from day 1 (preordered from MS)
bought both keyboards
just got 64GB ASUS T100T
as far as the surface
it has nice hardware but the old Surface RT stand is no better than the asus key board
and the magnetic attachment is no comparison to the ASUS locked in connection
but the bottom line is that the full windows 8.1 blows windows RT out of the water no ifs and or buts
metro is nice but if you want entertainment then an ipad mini retina is the way to go or the new Dell Venue 8

from a price point comparison
once devices like the ASUS T100 go down to $199 (keyboard included) which I predict within the next year, it'll be a no brainer
I predict full windows 8.XX wifi tablets under $250 and Android wifi tablets under $75 next holiday season
Cheap android tablets will be THE stocking stuffer of 2014.
Cheap Win8 tablets will continue the demise of the laptop as more and more of what we do moves to the cloud
and battery life will make all day portable computing a realistic expectation

The $350 64GB ASUS T100 and $99 16GB DELL Venue 8Pro is forcing a new pricing category for the coming year

As I took my ASUS T100 on the road last week as my new laptop(13" Toshiba Portege) replacement, every exec i sat across asked me about it and what i thought about it as well as was either in the process of buying something similar or buying something like the DELL but everyone wanted a true windows 8 OS tablet and nothing less, otherwise they preferred an ipad versus anything else. No one had any interest in a android tablet like the nexus7 or chromebook.

Great points. It is this vs the iPad on one level, and the Dell Venue 8 vs the iPad Mini. I just think that for full productivity, especially from a managing IT Dept thought, the T100 is cheaper and slightly more productive than the full sized iPad, and the Venue 8 does the same for the iPad mini.

I think you're spot on if these become cheap tablets for next year, suddenly that cheap tablet market gets a lot better and we see less of the Android cheapies.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Christmas money has come and gone and a new T100 is on its way. Unfortunately, most of it was Best Buy gift cards. So, it's only the 32GB version, but I just noticed that the 64 is up on their site just not available yet. HOPEFULLY, it's available before the 15th and I can straight up trade in the 32 for the 64!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Christmas money has come and gone and a new T100 is on its way. Unfortunately, most of it was Best Buy gift cards. So, it's only the 32GB version, but I just noticed that the 64 is up on their site just not available yet. HOPEFULLY, it's available before the 15th and I can straight up trade in the 32 for the 64!

Let's hope so. I didn't buy mine at Best Buy because they were taking too long to get it...

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It's available online for sale now. That means straight up trade in when the 32GB gets here! Yeah buddy! Hopefully they have one in store so I don't have to wait another week or so for shipping.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's available online for sale now. That means straight up trade in when the 32GB gets here! Yeah buddy! Hopefully they have one in store so I don't have to wait another week or so for shipping.

Let us know if you do get it. I've owned the 64GB model from the beginning and I've loved it.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have played with one of the demos at a nearby Microsoft Store. Can't say I'm impressed, nor can't say I'm disappointed. But at the price range it offers a LOT of worth!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have played with one of the demos at a nearby Microsoft Store. Can't say I'm impressed, nor can't say I'm disappointed. But at the price range it offers a LOT of worth!

That's the key here. The T100 is great value for money at its price range. Having used one since the end October I will still say it is a great buy. The keyboard is still a weakness for me, but once I turned off all the gestures from the track pad it became almost useable. So pretty much two months later all the points in my initial review hold true. Overall, very happy I bought it.

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Played with the 32 more before I brought it back to Best Buy. My 64gb should be here by Friday. I also got in on their 5% rewards because I ordered the 64 on the 4th. So between my rewards and a best buy gift card safety award from work, my 64gb flash drive is going to be practically free (~$10).

MA83

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
For having such a low nits rating, it's actually surprisingly bright. Now are you going to be standing in direct sunlight and have it overpower direct glare? No. But turning away from the sun and angled away from any glare, I've got no problems using it. I'm very happy with that aspect!

Internaut

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just bought one of these. My business trips can last weeks, and I find myself in places where a broken laptop would be inconvenient*. So, the thought of something that could serve as both a travel tablet and a backup PC appealed to me. I'm liking the device, and Windows 8.1, so far.

Alternatives? Well Surface RT isn't an option since it can't run things like WinSCP, Xming and various other desktop only tools. The Dell Venue 11 looks fantastic, but for the T100 I was able to walk into a local Argos and hand over ?75 worth of gift vouchers plus the balance.

* Getting a cheap laptop replacement in Harare, or a laptop with an English keyboard in DRC or C?te d'Ivoire, are not trivial things to do. I've had Dells go bang, and even an Eee PC is a godsend when that happens.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just bought one of these. My business trips can last weeks, and I find myself in places where a broken laptop would be inconvenient*. So, the thought of something that could serve as both a travel tablet and a backup PC appealed to me. I'm liking the device, and Windows 8.1, so far.

Alternatives? Well Surface RT isn't an option since it can't run things like WinSCP, Xming and various other desktop only tools. The Dell Venue 11 looks fantastic, but for the T100 I was able to walk into a local Argos and hand over ?75 worth of gift vouchers plus the balance.

* Getting a cheap laptop replacement in Harare, or a laptop with an English keyboard in DRC or C?te d'Ivoire, are not trivial things to do. I've had Dells go bang, and even an Eee PC is a godsend when that happens.

Four months later, I still love mine. Yes there are certain things that will cause it to lag, and I wish Office was better optimized, but it runs good and Asus has done a nice job of updating it. The battery life is still stellar for me. I don't regret getting it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte