Can apps be installed to micro sd card?

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 32gb model with 500gb dock and apparently the dock can't be used to install any apps in. Maybe I'm just not used to win 8, but I can't get it to recognize it a useable drive. Would a micro sd card work? I can't find much information on it since everyone wants to talk about models running android.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Currently, Windows 8/8.1 does not allow installing an app to an ad card. All apps have to be installed on the device itself. I've heard rumors of future versions of Windows allowing this, but nothing concrete. However, since Windows Phone 8.1 does allow installing most apps to the sd card, I would guess that installing apps on Windows devices will come soon.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
No problem. It really is unfortunate. I did find something in the forums. It only mentions the Surface RT tablet, but it might be something to consider.

"There is a solution for this though. Just use a Windows 7/8 PC that supports BitLocker and encrypt the MicroSD card. For ease of use when Windows RT 8.1 first prompts you to enter the decryption password for the card, you can click on the "More Options" link and set it to trust the tablet you have it plugged into (i.e. the Surface RT or Surface 2) to have it auto-unlocked when connected."

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett