Any other Vivo Tab RT owners?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else pick up one of these sweet tablets? I was torn between this and the Surface RT, and decided that the Vivo fit my needs better. Anyone else with me? Beuler? Beuler?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you order from Staples and get it by the end of November you can get two docks. Staples is giving free docks with purchase (sale listed as going till February 2013!) and Asus is giving docks to anyone who buys it before November 30th.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I picked one up earlier today and have been testing various things. So far I'm quite pleased with functionality and performance. Thanks for the info on the keyboard BTW as I've had a very frustrating day or two trying to figure out why the tech blogs were talking about a tab/keyboard combo for $599 yet the retail stores were selling for $599 sans keyboard. If Staples here in Canada has the same deal then I may need to return this tab to Future Shop and purchase at Staples instead.
Looking forward to hearing more from other owners in the coming days and weeks! :)
Vince

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If you register with Asus you can request a free dock
I could, but two issues with that. First, I suspect that ASUS may take some time in processing and sending that. I'd prefer to get it at the store (sooner) if possible. Secondly, I ran into an issue when trying to register in that I couldn't find the appropriate category for the Vivo Tab.
Vince

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I pondered getting it. Mainly because of NFC.

I ended up picking up the Surface partly because I've read it performs slightly better. (I'm not sure if it's true) But mainly because I wanted the cover/keyboard instead of a dock. I figure if I got a dock, it would be for a full x86 tablet.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Me! Picked one up yesterday at Best Buy. Its very nice. I love how thin it is and light. The brushed aluminum finish on it looks slick. And this is the best screen I have seen. I'm coming from a HP Touchpad with webOS/Android so its like night and day. All in all very happy. I love Windows 8 minus a few things but I know it will all be fixed soon enough.

Can anyone get the flash to work on the camera? Am I missing something lol.

Streak Leader

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought the VivoTab at Best Buy last Friday when it came out. When I got home to unpack it, there was no keyboard. Everything I read about it stated that at $599, the keyboard was included. Nope.

Went back to Best Buy and showed one of the sales guys all of the reviews that indicated the inclusion of a keyboard. They had no idea what to do and I left the store unhappy. Turns out that Best Buy doesn't even have the keyboard listed as an item for sale either in the store or online.

I am tied to Best Buy for the purchase due to a massive amount of in store credit I had accumulated from trading in video games. Staples is giving away the keyboard for free when you order the same tablet online.

Thanks to reading this thread, I now know that Asus will send me one for free. The website and registration process is cumbersome. I am not sure why I need to cut the serial number off the box and THEN take a photo of it. However, if they're willing to give me something for free (that should have already been in the damn box), I guess I can't complain TOO much.

As for the actual tablet itself, I am enjoying it quite a bit. The screen is very responsive. I am a bit on the fence as to whether it will be a keeper. Having the keyboard and trying that out will determine whether I stay with the RT version or return it and go with something like the Yoga.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason it didn't come with a keyboard is because it originally wasn't supposed to have one included at the $599 price.

The deal for a free dock came a day after Surface launched. It likely is a response to Surface's pricing. But the VivoRT units were already packaged and shipped.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Keyboard frustration

All in all I'm finding this difficulty in obtaining a keyboard very frustrating. Like many of you, I'm surprised by the lack of keyboard when so many sites and news outlets are reporting that it will come with. Thanks to you in the forum I learned that I can get a free keyboard from ASUS directly. I tried that last night to no avail as the site would continue to give me a "Tel Error" error message when I tried to submit my information and pics (serial and receipt - less than 500K for both pics). I gave up and and thought I would try again today. Now, on the ASUS Canada site when I log in there is no longer an option/link for the "Mobile dock apply & inquire". What the heck!?!

It's for things like this that I hope Staples Canada offers the same deal as Staples USA and I can just return this unit and pick up one with a keyboard right away. :straight:

Vince

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I registered my device on Asus's website and applied for the keyboard and it went through just fine. I'm in the US. Maybe their site was being hammered by all the new purchases. Seems to be the case with quite a few servers/websites related to Windows 8/WP8.

Streak Leader

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
All in all I'm finding this difficulty in obtaining a keyboard very frustrating. Like many of you, I'm surprised by the lack of keyboard when so many sites and news outlets are reporting that it will come with. Thanks to you in the forum I learned that I can get a free keyboard from ASUS directly. I tried that last night to no avail as the site would continue to give me a "Tel Error" error message when I tried to submit my information and pics (serial and receipt - less than 500K for both pics). I gave up and and thought I would try again today. Now, on the ASUS Canada site when I log in there is no longer an option/link for the "Mobile dock apply & inquire". What the heck!?!

It's for things like this that I hope Staples Canada offers the same deal as Staples USA and I can just return this unit and pick up one with a keyboard right away. :straight:

Vince

I tried to register my tablet last night and it wouldn't recognize the serial number. I finally called support and was told they would "escalate" the situation and call me back within 24-48 hours.

This morning, I tried the registration process again and managed to finally do it. However, as noted above, the "Mobile dock apply and inquire" option was no longer there for me as well. The link seems to have disappeared from the site.

I guess I'll be calling support again to see about getting this keyboard. It would be a whole lot simpler if Best Buy would actually carry the keyboard. I could then go in and have them match Staples' deal for the free keyboard.

EDIT: Just tried to login to the ASUS VIP site from work and am now getting a message stating "Service Unavailable."

Last edited:

Zaam

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
as noted above, the "Mobile dock apply and inquire" option was no longer there for me as well. The link seems to have disappeared from the site.
I can't see it either, thought it was because I'm based in Italy but maybe that's not the case.

Anyone sees the link now?

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I got a VivoTab RT on Friday, and I can't put it down! Hopefully I can get the keyboard, but it won't be a deal breaker for me. :)

yegura

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Nice tablet but...

I think I'll go for the Surface. That's because I had a Transformer first gen and I got into hardware troubles with it and ASUS' support is an insult added to an injury on top of a disaster. The keyboard confusion I'm reading about on this and other forums only confirms my fears that ASUS is still the same company I had the bad luck to deal with a year ago.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Got one yesterday from Best Buy as they were bundling the keyboard for the same price as the tablet alone. So far seems a great tablet, screen is miles better than my Acer W500. Installed all the updates and seems quite quick. Havent actually tried the keyboard yet, will test that tonight. Overall though, I'm impressed with how well its worked, considering all the complaints about RT being slow.

Based on the hardware itself though I'm really looking forward to testing the Atom version, should be just right then I'll pass this on to someone with less demanding needs.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Got one yesterday from Best Buy as they were bundling the keyboard for the same price as the tablet alone. So far seems a great tablet, screen is miles better than my Acer W500. Installed all the updates and seems quite quick. Havent actually tried the keyboard yet, will test that tonight. Overall though, I'm impressed with how well its worked, considering all the complaints about RT being slow.

Based on the hardware itself though I'm really looking forward to testing the Atom version, should be just right then I'll pass this on to someone with less demanding needs.

The most recent update (two or three days ago?) really improved performance and should have been the launch version of RT. I think it would have had much more positive reviews had the current version been the reviewed version. It's really a shame too, since most sites won't go back and update their reviews to reflect this update's improvements.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium