Vivo tablet freezing!?!

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to report that my tablet has been freezing for no apparent reason. This didn't happen my first two days of use but today it's frozen 3 times where I've had to press and hold the power button until it turned off and then power on again. It's happened while in IE, Onenote 2013, and on the Start screen. Aside from about a half dozen apps from the Microsoft store the only other change has been to apply 4 updates via Windows Update.

Anyone else experience something like this? If it happens again I'm going to reset the tablet to factory and add things back slowly. Pain in the butt ...

Vince

bigcraig01

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My Vivo 32GB is freezing too... 6-7 times since I got it Friday @ launch... The screen will go out of focus @ random and present red artifacts and then I have to hard-reset... This is after I did a factory reset...

staffa77

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to report that my tablet has been freezing for no apparent reason. This didn't happen my first two days of use but today it's frozen 3 times where I've had to press and hold the power button until it turned off and then power on again. It's happened while in IE, Onenote 2013, and on the Start screen. Aside from about a half dozen apps from the Microsoft store the only other change has been to apply 4 updates via Windows Update.

Anyone else experience something like this? If it happens again I'm going to reset the tablet to factory and add things back slowly. Pain in the butt ...

Vince
I have been using mine for two days and it has frozen at least 8 times. This is ridiculous. Not to mention it constantly disconnects me from Wi-Fi. My laptop and iPhone never lose connection but this does about as much as it freezes. I'm sending it back.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
No freezes here either, the more I use it the more I like it.
The OS is great , love all the swiping motions etc.

The screen has a couple issues, brightness changes based on content
And it flickers at low brightness levels probably from pwm.
There is also a small video driver issue but Asus is working on that.

Games like pinball fx2 skip frames compared to the iPad or faster android devices.
Hopefully NVidia and Ms can tweak the drivers to help.

Its a nice light weight web, email , maps, YouTube device.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So far, so good ...

Just a quick follow-up to say that so far things have been going Ok on my Vivo after a refresh. I chose the option to reset my device without removing data or settings and for the past 6 days I haven't had a freeze. I also haven't been using it all that heavily though as I do not yet have the keyboard from ASUS.
Vince

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
No freezes here either, the more I use it the more I like it.
The OS is great , love all the swiping motions etc.

The screen has a couple issues, brightness changes based on content
And it flickers at low brightness levels probably from pwm.
There is also a small video driver issue but Asus is working on that.

Games like pinball fx2 skip frames compared to the iPad or faster android devices.
Hopefully NVidia and Ms can tweak the drivers to help.

Its a nice light weight web, email , maps, YouTube device.

Same issues here. I just turned off the auto brightness to get rid of flickering and changes. I am really happy with this tablet so far. :)

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Same issues here. I just turned off the auto brightness to get rid of flickering and changes. I am really happy with this tablet so far. :)

Think I tried that and it stopped the auto brightness changes
but still at lowest brightness level there is flicker.

I think its caused from PWM being used to dim the bright display.

If you have a camera take a picture or video of the screen you'll see the black lines scrolling and flickering at min brighness.

Also, I notice content on a page will change the brightness.
If your on a grey page then something white scrolls on it the brightness changes,
could not find a way to turn that off.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Think I tried that and it stopped the auto brightness changes
but still at lowest brightness level there is flicker.

I think its caused from PWM being used to dim the bright display.

If you have a camera take a picture or video of the screen you'll see the black lines scrolling and flickering at min brighness.

Also, I notice content on a page will change the brightness.
If your on a grey page then something white scrolls on it the brightness changes,
could not find a way to turn that off.

True, it does still flicker at the lowest setting, but it is not nearly as obvious as when on auto brightness. The other two issues I can not recreate.

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I sent some PMs to those that reported the freezing a few days ago but haven't received any word back, so I figured I post something.

If you are experiencing freezing issues with your Vivo, please shoot me a PM. I can assist you with the troubleshooting. I can also give you a direct contact e-mail for support.

T0mX

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Same matter for me. My tab often freeze. First I thought it was an hardware problem so I've changed it to the store I've bought it. But the new one has exactly the same freezing screen fck problem. It occurs 2 or 3 time per hour. On any activity I can have (game, word, ie, SkyDrive).

Sorry for my English I'm french

Strongyl

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 freezing

Vince

Same issues here. Freezes on my OneNote 2010 Desktop version

Tips from the link below may help resolve your issues. Check that your video driver is latest, especially one issued from the manufacturer for W8.

http://thetechjournal.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-fix-freezed-windows-8.xhtml

Last edited:

Strongyl

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 freezing

While I applaud you for the link, none of those tricks are viable for Win8 RT ��

Good point. Missed the RT part in my desperation to find an answer.

I found the reason why mine was freezing and that led to the resolution by uninstalling the driver eating up all the memory (taking up to 85% of all the ram memory resource)... in my case it was due to the wacom pen digitizer Tablet ISD driver. I installed it when I lost my driver. Following removal of the ISD driver, the native pen digitizer on my samsung tablet took over and seems to work just as fine, without the freezing as a bonus.

Maybe this may help you speed up your identification of the root of the problem. If you go to Task Manager and monitor the memory usage, even as you carry out some of the activities you think may be causing the freezing, the one item that ramps up the memory (over say 60-75%) is probably causing the freezing for you. Uninstalling that app or driver may fix the problem.

rdtshaw

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Vivotab at Bestbuy as a bundle Friday, and they matched the amazon $549price. Happy about that... But.

It is now locking up. Same as decribed above, in IE10 and explorer. screen freeze, goes out of focus with red artifacts. Basically the pixels go out of skew. I'm an IT guy, and this behavior on a desktop says bad video memory. period. Obviously the system is not internally serviceable, so back to the store it goes. I saw a post above from ASUS_USA about troubleshooting, but unless someone can post a definate reason for the lockup other than bad ram, it is going back for exchange.

Now on my next worry, someone else said the replacment they got did the same thing. Bad memory shipment used in production? I got mine in Monterey, CA. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to love this little guy. I want to dump my laptop and my android tablet and replace them both with this.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

jkuhn57

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Count me in as another one with the graphics artifacting and hard locks. Looks like I'm stuck with the Asus RMA process though, as I already applied for the keyboard dock. So a return is out of the question.

Which worries me, the tech that responded to me suggested I return my tablet to the seller...:dry

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Too unreliable

Just another update from me. I reported that after a reset the device seemed to behave but unfortunately that didn't stick. It froze again so I returned the device. I'm just going to wait this out for a little while to see what develops before purchasing again. The Acer w510 is looking like a nice alternative at the moment ... when it's actually available of course.
Vince

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs