Battery usage and split between tab and keyboard?

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So, after a fairly full day of use my battery metre reads 61%. When I click on the battery icon (in desktop mode) it reports:
Battery #1: 88%
Battery #2: 32%
Two things about that. First, that seems like quite a bit of battery drain for what I was doing. Mostly Onenote, the occasional website, brightness at less than 20%, and wireless on the entire time. It looks to me that under this scenario I will be getting around 10-12 hours actual work rather than the 18 hours I was expecting (lead to believe was realistic?). Second, I find the difference in battery drain between tab and keyboard interesting. I thought that I had read somewhere that the keyboard should drain completely before the tab but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case with mine. Any other thoughts, info, reading, or experiences on this from anyone?
Vince

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
No, I have not. I *do* note however that there is some movement and creaking noises between the screen and case at the top of the tablet when gripping more tightly as you would when inserting or removing from the keyboard dock.
Vince

cvflowe

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So, after a fairly full day of use my battery metre reads 61%. When I click on the battery icon (in desktop mode) it reports:
Battery #1: 88%
Battery #2: 32%
Two things about that. First, that seems like quite a bit of battery drain for what I was doing. Mostly Onenote, the occasional website, brightness at less than 20%, and wireless on the entire time. It looks to me that under this scenario I will be getting around 10-12 hours actual work rather than the 18 hours I was expecting (lead to believe was realistic?). Second, I find the difference in battery drain between tab and keyboard interesting. I thought that I had read somewhere that the keyboard should drain completely before the tab but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case with mine. Any other thoughts, info, reading, or experiences on this from anyone?
Vince

Honestly, I think those numbers are dead on and see nothing wrong with your tablet. Asus web-site says up to 16hrs with keyboard attached.

I have in my house an iPad 1, 3 and a mini and none even come close to the battery life I have been getting with the Vivo. Also, I had the transformer prime and the infinity (yes, I have tried them all) and the Vivo is best.

In closing, I do agree that Asus have some quality issues but really if you need a comparison email me privately and I can send you one of my iPad "clicking" or making noise at the screen as well.

Cvflowe

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Once both batteries reach 100%, will the charging stop? I'm kind of scared about it overcharging and possibly exploding

Of course they will stop charging. They'll resort to a 'trickle charge' as long as the unit is plugged in to keep the batteries at 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob Parkin

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
As far as I'm aware the keyboard dock is designed to actually charge up the tablet when docked. If you have a full dock and an empty tablet it will transfer the power over rather than leaving the power in the tablet flat and slowly sipping the battery in the keyboard. This is where you'll lose battery life because it's using up extra energy charging the tablet at a higher rate than the usual discharge.
It's one of the best features I've ever seen on a device like this, as you proved with your figures, you can work for a few hours then take just the tablet and have it almost at full charge rather than having both at 50% when you unplug.
On another note, is anyone else finding that they use it about 90% of the time with the keyboard? Turning out to be quite a nice laptop replacement that is a lot more capable than most android tablets, I love being able to charge my phone while it's in my bag.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes to the above. I stopped bringing my laptop to school and just use my Vivotab with the keyboard. It's light, the battery lasts forever, and the touchscreen is nice for scrolling through long pdfs, etc. At home I use it as a tablet, but it really does work as a laptop too.

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The tablet and dock combo should get your around 15-16 hours of normal usage under normal conditions.

While connected, anytime the tablet falls below 80%, the dock will transfer juice over to it. It could be 70%, I don't remember exactly, but its around there. So I guess if you are using both for an extended amount of time, the dock will eventually run out before the tablet does, while making it seem like it's draining faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos