Vivotab RT flexes on the upper right corner

g0tw33d

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm a new owner of a Vivotab RT. So far this machine is awesome. One thing I notice though is that on the upper right corner of the tablet, near the headphone jack, I can squeeze the corner and it makes a "noise". The noise sounds like pressing two plastic together but not "hooking" the two pieces together when you let go. The other three corner doesn't have this symptom and feels solid. Should I worry about this and if its trouble claiming warranty on this issue?

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on mine and there is no noise or movement when I press any corner. I'm on my second one because my first one had a firmware problem, and the first one was also very solid.

If it bothers you and you just got it, try to exchange it.

g0tw33d

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Where did you exchanged the tablet? Through the place you bought it from or through Asus? If it was through Asus, how was the exchange process?

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine from Amazon, and was still in the one month window, so they sent me a new one the next day. Good luck dealing with Asus. I've never tried, but I've heard their service isn't great. I'm guessing they'll ask you to send it in for a repair.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine also had this issue. He really saw a gap of 2-3 mm which was possible to press together. On my device it looks like there is some space, but that is only a very small part of a mm.

My friend went back to the store they wanted to send it in for repair. He told them to order a new one so he could use his "broken" one untill the new one arrived and he could exchange them. They did... lucky him!

g0tw33d

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The seller refuses to exchange it for me, said I had to deal with Asus since it's covered under warranty. Let's see how far that will take me with the Asus support...

g0tw33d

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine have 1 mm gap and it makes a sound when I press it together. I initiated the RMA process, hopefully Asus takes care of me and doesn't cause more harm than good...

g0tw33d

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I have second thoughts about sending my tablet in for repair. I read about all these horror stories and how I have to pay shipping to send it out. Do you think it's worth getting a squaretrade warranty or a best buy geek squad warranty?

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey g0tw33d. If you want to get the RMA started, shoot me an e-mail at cl-tien@asus.com and I can have one arranged for you.

If the Geek Squad warrant is available to you, I would go with the BBY warranty. They will usually replace the device outright, and I believe their warranty covers physical damage, also. I usually suggest if you have any extended warranties, go with them first before you send it to us for an RMA. You paid for those warranties so take advantage of it, especially if they are willing to give you an outright exchange.

Eric Ganter

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same problem with mine. At first I thought it was a hidden function button. I'd like to send mine in on warranty, but I get a bad feeling about asus's warranty process. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My first one had a very small and shallow scratch on the display. I still believe this is caused by removing the tablet from the dock while the lid is closed. Then you have to apply pressure and the screen touches the aluminum part of the dock. One grain of sand does the trick in that case.

I was somewhat hesitant towards sending it to Asus, because if they decided it was not valid warranty it could cost me quite some money. In the end they refunded the entire amount! So, no real issue there!

If you look at Vivotab RT tablets in stores etc, you will see the flexing every now and then. Not every device has it, but it seems to be something that happens more. My second hand (from Amazon.de) Vivotab RT has some flexing as well, but only on the plastic cover; not where the screen is attached.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos