Asus Vivotab RT has scratch resistant glass? How about warranty?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Last week I found out that the fact that the Asus Vivotab RT has Corning "Fit" glass doesn't mean it is Gorilla glass "fit" for the Asus Vivotab RT. No, Corning has two types of glass "Fit" and "Gorilla".

Now on the website of Asus it states it has "scratch resistant" glass. What can one expect of that? Reason for asking: I've handled my tablet with great caution, but still I noticed a few scratches on the glass. Few of them are hardly visible, but one is easily noticeble under the right angle! How can this happen?
And more important: I am exploring my options for returning the device to Asus and have it repaired as warranty case. Any suggestions in that area?
I am somewhat worried they will charge me research and repairs cost because they will try to argue this is something I have done myself. Obviously damage caused by improper use is not a valid warranty case.

I have the idea that you need to be pretty rough with the screen to get a scratch in it. the scratch I see is really shallow, but stil...it is there :( Does anybody have an idea of how scratch resistant this glass actually is? For example: Can a simple grain of sand between the dock and the tablet have caused this?

livingenzyme

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
First of all, what do you want to send it in for? I've sent in devices to Asus half a dozen times over the years and have never had any trouble with them. What you want to do is call their tech support and open an RMA case.

Regarding the screen, I just throw my tablet into my bag each day without any protection. Take it out to do stuff on the train. Take it out quite often during the day. No scratch yet.

A grain of sand has a hardness of like 20-something. Regular glass has a hardness of about 5. Corning Gorilla glass has a hardness of about 9. Your fingernail is about 2. As far as I know, what you describe as "fit" glass is actually gorilla glass by corning, which has a hardness of 9. So, yes, sand will scratch it.

I highly suggest you either get a screen protector or an ipad. The screen protector will protect your screen from scratches. The ipad will give you a sense of status and therefore you will not expect a miracle from your device's glass screen.

That last sentence was a joke, by the way. Well, half a joke. I've been lurking ipad forums for years and never once have I seen an ipad owner complain about some of the things I see android/windows people complain about. Having owned a few apple devices over the years, I know that apple devices get damaged just as easily as everything else. So, I attribute the lack of complaints from apple users to their status symbol. :)

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Corning advertises their glass as "scratch resistant", but really, it depends what gets rubbed up against it, and it is not unscratchable. Usual objects in one's bag, backpack or pockets are usually not hard enough to scratch the thin layer of on top of the glass. However, if it meets something harder, it can and will scratch, as livingenzyme stated.

The Asus warranty covers manufacturing defects only, so a scratch on the display would, unfortunately, be considered physical - which is not covered. Honestly, I would not recommend sending it in for service because the repair facility will not replace the display due to a scratch. If requested, they can provide a quote for replacement, but it is not worth it for a scratch.

I would just be more careful, and definitely get a screen protector of some sort. Me, personally, I cannot go without a screen protector on anything (tablet & phone) for fear of scratches.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

What I want to send it in for? To repair a scratch on the screen that I believe shouldn't be there since I handled the device with great care.
If I create an RMA case of this I may end up paying € 75,- plus the replacement of the screen as someone may conclude this is caused by improper use.
What kind of tablet do you own that you just throw in a bag.

I don't think that I expect any miracles. If I rub sand on the glass or if I am not handling the device well I understand scratches will occur. But since Asus mentions they use scratch resistant glass for the product I would at least expect to be aware if something happens that may leave a scratch. Ia mean: I really understand that if I just throw the tablet in an ordinary bag without a protection sleeve or something and my keys are in that bag as wel at some point I may expect some scratches. But that is not the case here.

I have a Samsung Omnia 7 phone for over 2 years. Handled it way rougher than the Asus Vivotab RT, but still: not a single scratch!

If I would have done something to cause the scratch I think I would have known. But since I have the tablet for about 2-3 months now I don't tink I can argue it has always been there, right? (That may very well be the case, but I am pretty sure I will lose that argument.)
So most likely I am better of making it an insurance case! :(

livingenzyme

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
s
Thanks for the replies.

What I want to send it in for? To repair a scratch on the screen that I believe shouldn't be there since I handled the device with great care.
If I create an RMA case of this I may end up paying € 75,- plus the replacement of the screen as someone may conclude this is caused by improper use.
What kind of tablet do you own that you just throw in a bag.

I don't think that I expect any miracles. If I rub sand on the glass or if I am not handling the device well I understand scratches will occur. But since Asus mentions they use scratch resistant glass for the product I would at least expect to be aware if something happens that may leave a scratch. Ia mean: I really understand that if I just throw the tablet in an ordinary bag without a protection sleeve or something and my keys are in that bag as wel at some point I may expect some scratches. But that is not the case here.

I have a Samsung Omnia 7 phone for over 2 years. Handled it way rougher than the Asus Vivotab RT, but still: not a single scratch!

If I would have done something to cause the scratch I think I would have known. But since I have the tablet for about 2-3 months now I don't tink I can argue it has always been there, right? (That may very well be the case, but I am pretty sure I will lose that argument.)
So most likely I am better of making it an insurance case! :(

I'm sorry that you feel this way. If you are within the return period, you should do that and look for another tablet.

I'm reminded by this guy last year who posted a complaint on xda forum. He bought a case to protect his viewsonic g tablet. One time, he put his tablet on top of his car to open the door and forgot. When he drove out of the driveway, the tablet fell and cracked the screen. So, he went onto xda and blasted the manufacturer of the case for not protecting the tablet from such a fall.

But honestly, I haven't been that careful with my vivotab rt. Like I said, I don't have a case or screen protector right now. I take it with me everywhere. Just throw it in the bag.

The good news is the screen protector and skinomi techskin just arrived. I'll be applying them before I leave today.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Feel what way? I am very happy with the Asus, but I just think it is strange to see scratches appear. They must have been there as long as I have the tablet.

If you are not that careful with your tablet and you don't have any scratches I think it is most unlikely that my tablet gets scratched without me knowing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs