Thinking of upgrading RT to Vivotab Smart

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Its the same size albeit marginally thicker and heavier than the RT but about the same price or less than I paid for my RT version. I also believe it is the thinnest and lightest full windows 8 tablet out there. Correct me if i am wrong. I just feel why have limited windows 8 if i can have full windows 8 for same price. Anyone want to do the same?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought about it. But then again, the Vivotab RT is even lighter than the Vivotab Smart. Next to that the RT has a way better battery life and the outdoor viewing options of the screen are a lot better!
You should ask yourself how often you really miss the x86 programs.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
That looks like an rt version in your blog photo. Smart version has all in one colour back. Also rt version has mobile keyboard dock not the smart. Smart has Bluetooth keyboard. Or am I wrong? The lack of Silverlight on rt is the main reason I want to sell the rt version and get the smart.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No, you're right. In the picture a RT version is shown. And I was quite surprised by the fact that rd3d2 mentions he has a keyboard dock since that doesn't exist.

I compare Silverlight to Flash and I hope all websites using either of them will move to HTML5 soon.

rd3d2

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yep, that's not a pic of the actual unit. I don't have the keyboard dock yet but apparently will have before the end of Q1 (they are modifying the methodology around the magnetic linkup mechanism). I will update the picture asap to save further confusion!

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I just handled the vivotab smart in Selfridges, London. ?399.99. I must say i like it very much and it is surprisingly light for a full Windows 8 PC. I really feel I want to sell the RT now but the salesman was putting me off. He said the Atom netbook like processor is slower than the Tegra processor and he thinks 2gb ram for full windows is not enough. Should be 4gb. What do you guys think? Is tegra faster than atom in smart tab?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I just handled the vivotab smart in Selfridges, London. ?399.99. I must say i like it very much and it is surprisingly light for a full Windows 8 PC. I really feel I want to sell the RT now but the salesman was putting me off. He said the Atom netbook like processor is slower than the Tegra processor and he thinks 2gb ram for full windows is not enough. Should be 4gb. What do you guys think? Is tegra faster than atom in smart tab?

Yes. I avoid Atom machines like the plague. They were slow with Windows 7 netbooks and Windows 7 tablets, they are slow with Windows 8, especially when you start using heavier or multiple programs. But on the flipside, it does give you the option to use desktop programs, and is also great when using Modern apps. But to me it feels like im using an expensive netbook when in desktop mode.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
but surely if the atom smart tablet is on par performance wise with the Rt version and not better, then surely having the option of running a few simple desktop apps would be a bonus?

All that would make me happy is to stream video from Silverlight sites, use movie maker to edit videos for youtube and play the pc versions of Stepmania and OSU (Elite Beat Agents clone). I have no reason to run intensive 3D programs.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
but surely if the atom smart tablet is on par performance wise with the Rt version and not better, then surely having the option of running a few simple desktop apps would be a bonus?

All that would make me happy is to stream video from Silverlight sites, use movie maker to edit videos for youtube and play the pc versions of Stepmania and OSU (Elite Beat Agents clone). I have no reason to run intensive 3D programs.
Yes of course, you can see it that way. That's the same thinking behind Android. It doesn't matter if performance suffers, as long as you have the option.

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Atom in windows 8 tablets is fine. It blows Tegra out of the water when doing metro (RT) tasks, and allows for limited x86 processing on the side. Clover trail in a touch environment isn't anything like the atom netbook experience with windows 7.

rd3d2

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
For performance comparisons check out the internal benchmarks . I was amazed when I saw that the VivoTab was as powerful as the top end developer tablet given out to professional developers by Microsoft just a few years ago. (I have used the ViviTab to develop, compile and submit apps for Windows 8)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett