Windows RT 8.1

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my Asus Vivotab RT to Windows RT 8.1

Currently the OS is in Dutch. I understood the Default System UI language should be EN-US. Does anyone know if resetting my Asus to the factory settings and choosing English in the new startup will make the Default System UI language EN-US? Or will it then be EN-GB?

Next to that I am wondering if the English OS version of Windows RT 8.1 still supports Dutch as input method (meaning I can get Dutch word completion and correction).

Finally I hope some people here have some experience with the Asus Vivotab RT on Windows RT 8.1. Please advise!

Thanks!

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm American so I use the American version, but if you use the "Reset everything" option or whatever its called after you install the update it really does reset everything to the factory default 8.1. This means you start with a screen where you choose your language, etc. I use English and Japanese and I just added a Japanese keyboard and it allows me to type in that language with auto-correct, etc. My system language is of course in English.

Hope this helps!

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That does help to some extent romant56. Thanks! The thing is: I understood that in case of a European Windows RT device choosing English after the reset actually means en-GB (which is not one of the supported languages). It should be en-US.
A Microsoft employee mentioned I can reset the device, choose German (which is supported for some reason) and then I am able to upgrade. I am still in doubt and haven't had an answer yet to my question if my Windows RT 8.1 will then as well be in German.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Well if anyone succeeds let me know how. I updated my desktop to 8.1 and like the changes so want to upgrade my tablet now. I don't mind hard reseting in a few months to install the official update.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You must have a recovery stick in case you mess up so you could go back to factory.

I have covered this in another forum. You don't have to reset your PC, you'll just have to install English US language pack, after installing set it as the primary language. Make sure this applies to the whole OS (control panel > clock, language and region > language) make sure English US is at the top. If you have en-gb then it is ok to remove the rest of the languages. Then on the left column click on advanced settings, then the first option click Apply language settings to the welcome screen, system accounts, and new user accounts. A window should pop up. Now in Administrative tab, first click on Copy settings... and another window will pop up, check both boxes below and apply. Then set the second setting to English US locale. After this, run elevated regedit, go to HKEY_Local_Machine > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Nls > Language, scroll down to the very bottom, and change the values of Default and InstallLanguage to 0409.

Restart, and run the update. Reboot again and it should notify you about the preview.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No, that will most likely not work. The only thing that is supposed to actually work is the following:
"
Okay, the problem here seems to be the original language that Windows was installed in was not EN-US. Here are a few steps that worked for me:

1) Add EN-US as a language on your system and download the language pack. [Detailed steps below. Skip to 2 if you know how to do it or if you have already done it]

Navigate over to:
Control Panel -> Clock, Language and Region -> Language

(Or just search for "language" in settings [Win+w])

and add new language which is going to be English (United States). Go into the options of this new language and download and install language pack. A system restart is prompted, BUT WAIT. Not just yet.

2) Go into the registry editor (run regedit,exe) and navigate to

HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Nls\Language

and keep a note of the value of the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane and change it to the value 0409 (which is EN-US)

Now reboot.

After Windows starts back up, just run the update file from preview.windows.com and voila...

If you're like me who couldn't wait another day for the ISOs, enjoy.

[If you're stuck after downloading the file, just restart the PC and go into the Windows store to see your update prompt]

[I'm guessing you can safely change the InstallLanguage string's value back to its original one after installation. I will update this post if I have any issues doing so.]
"
But if you have a Asus Vivotab RT that doesn't work either. I have refreshed the system to German (a supported language), but still the 0xc1900106 error pops up. However, with this installation there is a firmware update available that I haven't seen before. So perhaps I can install that one and then install the Windows 8.1 RT preview.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Done...to some extent... I have been able to install the German version. Then it does see I need to upgrade some firmware and the compatibility is ok. However, if I want to change the language to English I get the following:
"Microsoft Office 2013 does not support upgrading from a preview version of Microsoft Office 2013. You must first uninstall these preview versions of Microsoft Office 2013 and associated technologies:
Microsoft Office Home and Student Plus Preinstall 2013"

Anyone an idea?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, finally figured it out...I think.
1.Reset you RT device under ‘PC Settings’
2.Re-build, selecting either French or German as language.
3.Join to the Wi-Fi, bearing in mind that French or German keyboard layouts will be different, so you may need to change keyboard input back to QWERTY so it’s familiar to you.
4. Specifically for the Asus Vivotab RT: look for updates in Windows update. It should state a firmware update from (if I remember correctly 14-05-2013). This firmware update only appeared on my device with the German language; not while using the registry update that has been done here and there. The latter resulted in a 0xc1900106 message.
5.Go to the 8.1 preview website and download, run and install the patch.
6.Restart, and a banner will pop up prompting you to go to the Store to download 8.1
7.Go to the Store, download 8.1. Install.
8.Change language settings back to English (US) and then ta da!

On my computer Office 2013 started to complain throwing the message:
"Microsoft Office 2013 does not support upgrading from a preview version of Microsoft Office 2013. You must first uninstall these preview versions of Microsoft Office 2013 and associated technologies:
Microsoft Office Home and Student Plus Preinstall 2013".
So I have completely refreshed the machine again. And again everything appeared in German. After that I immediately changed the language back to English US without using the machine. Now it is fine. Only while restarting or when logging in some German words appear, but that's it! Perhaps that can still be changed by changing some registry keys. On the other hand I will be fine using this until the final version comes out!

It is GREAT!

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
8.1 preview works GREAT on my vivotab rt. I did a full wipe/ os reinstall of 8.0, did all the updates, and THEN installed 8.1.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a US Vivotab RT? (And is your default system UI language en-US?) Or did you have to use the route to reinstall to German, French or any of the other languages as well? And if so: did you also end up with some small remainders of the German installation?

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Still had 3 small "issues":
•Login screen states "Anmeldeoptionen" and "Kennwort"
•After logging in the screen mentions "Wilkommen"
•My 3G connection is called "Mobiles Breitband"

If you do the following:

Go into the registry editor (run regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language
Go to the "InstallLanguage" string at the very bottom of the right pane and change it to the value 0409 (which is EN-US)

Now only the 3G connection is still called "Mobiles Breitband"

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know, Microsoft recently updated the language requirements to install the preview. More languages are supported. I installed the update on my UK vivotab rt without doing any reg tweaks or installing or changing language packs. Go ahead and try. I like it. Just search for Windows 8.1 preview on the web.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte