Music and Downloads freeze when Screen is turned off

Ahmed Al Naser

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an Asus Vivotab Smart device, if I push the power button to turn off the screen while I have some music playing, it stops. Is this normal for all Windows 8 tablets? Is it possible to let it run music while the screen is turned off?

I am using Windows Media Player to run the music. Also, some programs like Internet Download Manager seem to stop too. Whats causing this?

Thanks in advance.

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, by default, if you press the lock button, it will put the tablet to sleep. It essentially stops everything, including downloads while it is sleeping. You can go into your Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options and change the button behavior if you want. You can also change the power plan settings to just turn off the display after a certain amount of time so the display could just turn off while keeping everything else on.

Ahmed Al Naser

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to configure the power button to turn off the display instead of sleeping?

EDIT: Even if I set it to turn off the display after some time, it will still stop everything else.

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
No, as far as I know, the power button can only be set to: do nothing, sleep, and power device off. If you change the power plan settings, you might be able to tell it how long to dim the display after. I don't have my test unit with me so I can't check and confirm right now, but take a look at your Plan Settings.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Windows' Connected Standby mode is supposed to allow music to play when the screen is off, as well as things like updating live tiles with fresh content, receiving email, downloading files from, or uploading them to, a website, sharing content, such as photos on a website, printing, and receiving instant messages and VoIP calls.

So in theory, the tablet should be able to do this.

The catch is that the app you are using for music playback, download, etc must support Connected Standby. I don't think the desktop version of WMP supports this. AFAIK only the Metro apps will properly support Connected Standby, so maybe try one of the music apps from the Windows Store and see how that goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss