Windows 8.1 Preview on Asus Vivotab Smart

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Anyone updated to Windows 8.1 preview? I have installed yesterday and faced a few problems

1. WiFi lost connection - fix: check driver properties. Some of them are in wrong state, like limit connection to only B or G and so on
2. No battery icon at all. - temporarily fix - Delete Microsoft AC adapter drive in hardware and re-scan for changes. After restart of your tablet you need to repeat this step.
3. drivers. Just install last packed of drivers.

I cannot say a lot about changes in 8.1, but most important for me is ability to make icons small so I don't have big canvas of icons on main screen.

Ask questions if you have, I will try to answer.

jpkow

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

i have updatet also to the Windows 8.1 Preview and have the same problems with the battery icon. The problem is I cannot see the actual charge state.

Maybe there will be a fix to this issue.

althon64fx

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Both cameras aren't working...seems a driver issue. I also experienced sluggishness on metro. Tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck

Goyito Hanemian

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Me to.
Even with driver installation. It seems I loose Intel graphics drivers...
Asus camera software doesn't work anymore.
I bellow I have to return to windows 8...

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I updated mine and the screen is stuck on. I mean I push the power button and the screen goes black, but it has a glow to it and at night it actually lights up the room with a black screen. I left it off the charger just to see if the screen would kick off and it never did, it just ran the battery dead.

On a side note, I did update my Surface Pro and it works great other than the Cisco VPN client that used to work.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've tried all the steps including the drivers from Asus, HP Envy, and uninstalling the AC adapter driver in hardware. When I restart, the battery icon is no longer there. I can't change screen brightness. It's stuck using the basic Microsoft display driver so screen navigation is terrible. And my screen won't turn off unless I power down the tablet. This sucks! But I guess that is what I get for installing a preview release.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
This should not be like this. I just reinstalled drivers package from asus and everything is working.
Camera works for internal app and now it's very very fast! Asus camera shows black screen, but itu takes pictures if you press on-screen button.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Working like a breeze on my Acer Iconia Tab w510 which apparently has the same Atom chipset as the VivoTab. I am quite surprised why are you facing problems with VivoTab smart!

StatD

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem, I couldn't change screen brightness and no battery icon. Didn't know what to do.
But checked Windows Update this morning and it downloaded and installed an Intel driver update for Intel GMA. Everything is now working perfectly. The changes and improvements in 8.1 are really good.

Asus VivoTab Smart ME400C

Update: Asus camera is still not working, Microsoft camera is.

Last edited:

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It is working now. Just had to remove the old driver package then reinstall it again. Thanks everyone!
Is anyone else's sound working on theirs? Mine shows a good driver and I can adjust the vol level but cannot hear anything.

herho

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
When I started reading this thread I thought to myself "well, maybe I'll just stick to the vanilla for the time being".

But it looks like the worst problems is fixed with new drivers from Intel.

My Vivotab is brand new, but I can't wait to install,the 8.1. ��

I tried earlier to install, but got error message.. I'm installing windows updates as we speak - hopefully that's what's missing! ��

Btw, is it possible to create a backup ISO? And maybe store on SkyDrive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs