Windows 8.1 Preview on Asus Vivotab Smart

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Your going to roll back the graphics driver? Mine never did show an updated driver from windows updates.
I just clicked windows update and showed me that driver. But as I said, with this driver tablet crashes every time you press power button. After rollback everything is back.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm this:
I see strange multitasking behavior of metro applications. In 8.0 when you swipe from top of screen, you close application. Now if you do the same, application seems closed and if you start it again if will loads from start. But, if you close application then open task manager you still can see this application on first tab and if you double click on app, you will be switched to it and application will be at the point of time when you close it. For example run calc, enter some number and make calculation. Close calc, run task manager and double click on calc. You will see that you numbers are still there. Same for games. All those app are still on memory. I don't know is this normal behavior for 8.1, but for me it looks lie bug. If I close app, it must be closed.

chechelopez

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mr Brown you mention this

I updated mine and the screen is stuck on. I mean I push the power button and the screen goes black, but it has a glow to it and at night it actually lights up the room with a black screen. I left it off the charger just to see if the screen would kick off and it never did, it just ran the battery dead.

I get the same problem, I don't know what to do, I read that you solve it, can you help me ?

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mr Brown you mention this

I updated mine and the screen is stuck on. I mean I push the power button and the screen goes black, but it has a glow to it and at night it actually lights up the room with a black screen. I left it off the charger just to see if the screen would kick off and it never did, it just ran the battery dead.

I get the same problem, I don't know what to do, I read that you solve it, can you help me ?

Just had to remove the old driver package (uninstall from programs and features) then reinstall it again.

damora01

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I installed windows 8.1 and looks nice and it is fast but I tried to fix the battery icon but no fix, I noticed that the apps don't close, the keep running in background and that is big issue, add-ons in IE11 does not work, the Asus camera does not work and the windows camera is working with very bad resolution, I think it is not close to megapixel. For me it is not ready for this tablet so I am going back to 8 and I am going to wait for final release.

rjnr

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, the sound (from the speaker only), is extremely quiet since I installed 8.1. This may be a poorly timed coincidence, but I wonder if it has something to do with Sonicsound Audio? I don't actually remember seeing it in control panel, but then again had no reason to check as the sound was fine before, however it is meant to come with VivoTab Smart, but isn't there. Any thoughts?

Robert Dudek

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Easy update Windows 8 to 8.1
  • Click link, run.
  • Instal uptate.
  • Reboot.
  • Install Windows 8.1

29difm8.png

2dudpwp.png

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi team,

How long did this update take for you? I've followed the above steps (ie run the update from the Store) but the update never seems to complete. I restart the device, and the update installs, then it gets to a start up screen showing "Getting devices ready" - and never moves on from there. the little white circle of dots keeps spinning, but nothing else.

I've left the tablet in this state for around 48hrs before crashing (which I do by holding down the power button). when I restart after this, the device reloads my prior version of windows (telling me something went wrong with the update, so my prior version is being reinstalled).

any ideas?
and approx how long would be really useful....

Cheers
KD

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi team,

How long did this update take for you? I've followed the above steps (ie run the update from the Store) but the update never seems to complete. I restart the device, and the update installs, then it gets to a start up screen showing "Getting devices ready" - and never moves on from there. the little white circle of dots keeps spinning, but nothing else.

I've left the tablet in this state for around 48hrs before crashing (which I do by holding down the power button). when I restart after this, the device reloads my prior version of windows (telling me something went wrong with the update, so my prior version is being reinstalled).

any ideas?
and approx how long would be really useful....

Cheers
KD

Mine took about 2 hours. I suggest that you refresh your PC (PC settings > general > Refresh your PC without affecting your files) and then try the update to 8.1 again. I'm thinking you have something installed that doesn't go well with the update.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Have problem pairing my Lumia 620 with my Laptop Asus K55 through Bluetooth, it disconnects immediately... anyone has similar problem like mine

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine took about 2 hours. I suggest that you refresh your PC (PC settings > general > Refresh your PC without affecting your files) and then try the update to 8.1 again. I'm thinking you have something installed that doesn't go well with the update.

This worked, thanks...

Kd

Last edited:

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Returned back to stock Win8 long time ago. 8.1 preview is useless for me. To many bugs. Sometimes touch screen goes totally unresponsible. I was near the point of breaking tablet :(

jkhill74

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Geez I've been looking at the VivoTab Smart, teetering on whether to buy it or wait. It's coming up on a year old and Windows 8.1 will be RTM possibly as early as this or next week. I don't know if I can stand to wait four to eight weeks to see if any leaps in technology show up. The other question is, if anything new and great does show up, will have a price as sweet as the current VivoTab price. Oh the pain, the pain.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want my opinion, I think there are some better options than there were a year ago. When I got my vivo tab, it was easily the best deal for a full Windows 8 tablet, but now you can choose from the Lenovo Lynx ($387), the first gen Samsung Ativ smart ($450), etc. At least shop around a bit.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo Lynx - near 12'' screen! Official price 449$
Whats the point of it?

Samsung same price. But quality?

IMHO ASUS is the better choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member