Bing Local Search Reviews Different on Phone than on Desktop

mcraine

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know why Bing local search results and reviews are different on a windows phone than on the desktop? Using IE on my desktop machine, I go to Bing and type in Chinese food. I get a Bing Local list of five local places before the organic listings start. These local listings show Yelp ratings and link to Yelp. On my Lumia 920 using the search button I make the same search. I get a different list of places. Some are on both lists but are in a different order. That - I understand. Distance calculations from where I?m at, etc. can shuffle the list a bit. But? none of the listings have any Yelp references. The only reviews I see seem to be Citysearch or Trip Advisor. The phone results also seem to be prioritized by Citysearch and Trip Advisor while the desktop results seem to be prioritized by the Yelp reviews.

This makes no sense to me. Why would the phone results show reviews from a different source than the desktop version. Aside from the obvious difference between the two searches, the usefulness of the phone search is next to nothing. When I?m out and about and look for a restaurant, I want to get results that reflect an accurate representation of the various options. No one uses Citysearch anymore and Trip Advisor is hit or Miss. I want to see reviews and ratings from a source like Yelp where I know people are using it. I compared one listing for the same restaurant. On the desktop it had 45 reviews on Yelp. On the phone it had 3 reviews from Citysearch.

In addition to being a fan of WP, I also own a small business. I have a great presence on Yelp and Google but good luck trying to get a customer to write a review on Citysearch. I?m always ?selling WP? to family and friends but every once in a while I have to stop and scratch my head.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately local results have not always been a strong point through the Bing mobile search engine, hopefully they'll integrate what they learned on Windows 8.1 "Smart Search" and bring it to Windows Phone 8.1 as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon