Google Special Features
    Bing Instant Answers

I never knew before what they were called, but you can see Google's Special Features dwarfs Bing's "Instant Answers". But beyond that Google introduced the concept of special features and "hero results", which is why Bing can't get any momentum even after adding these things.
    08-08-2014 08:53 PM
    If you like goog search, use it. I use Bing and I get the results I need, almost 95 percent of the time. I find I don't need to use goog search, so I don't.
    Google Special Features
    Bing Instant Answers

I never knew before what they were called, but you can see Google's Special Features dwarfs Bing's "Instant Answers". But beyond that Google introduced the concept of special features and "hero results", which is why Bing can't get any momentum even after adding these things.
    08-08-2014 09:41 PM
    I do not feel that google's special features would make my search results relevant, which is why I also use bing.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-08-2014 10:54 PM
    Ahhh I remember the day I was using Netscape Navigator and someone said to use 'Google' - loved the clean and simple premise, no ads just results. Look at them now!! they invade privacy in order to deliver adverts, damn shame really. I love the Bing daily pictures, very cool. However I now use Duckduckgo which is a great search engine that doesn't track you, the alternative is Startpage which uses Google results and again doesn't track you. I like duckduckgo as there are many shortcuts for example if I type !g blahblah I get blahblah results from Google, if I type !a blahblah i get taken instantly to amazon page with blahblah results, its a great time saver all round.
    WanderingTraveler and Jazmac like this.
    08-09-2014 07:53 AM
    I guess no one here uses the Special Features. They're nice, when you put "210kph in mph" and you get an instant calculation. Or local movie showtimes that appear in a nice table after performing a search for a current film. These are really nice things that allow you to NOT have to click through every link to get the information you were looking for.
    08-09-2014 02:52 PM
    I guess no one here uses the Special Features. They're nice, when you put "210kph in mph" and you get an instant calculation. Or local movie showtimes that appear in a nice table after performing a search for a current film. These are really nice things that allow you to NOT have to click through every link to get the information you were looking for.
    I don't need Special Features or Instant Answers, since I use Boolean search operators. That's how it was done back in the day, and it still works.
    smoledman and Great deal like this.
    08-09-2014 03:09 PM
    I don't need Special Features or Instant Answers, since I use Boolean search operators. That's how it was done back in the day, and it still works.
    That's good, but boolean operators are an advanced method of searching that pre-supposes you know everything. Special Features aims to present what you are looking for on the first page without requiring a click-through. It's not for you, it's for the 90%.
    Great deal likes this.
    08-09-2014 05:40 PM