I routinely walk home from work and know that the distance is around 4.5 km. Yesterday I switched on motion tracking data and checked that Bing Health and Fitness was tracking my steps (quite accurately I might add -- the number of steps increased by 2 every time my right foot touched the floor). I happily locked the phone and proceeded with the walk.

When I got home I checked what the app said, and it reported that I had walked around 1.3 km, which is physically impossible -- even in a straight line, the distance is way larger than that. I then dismissed the app as being unreliable, locked the phone, and went out for a second walk with my girlfriend, with total distance at 3.6 km (plus some walking inside a shopping center).

Today, the app reports that I walked a total of 5.28 km yesterday -- better, but still clearly underestimating how much I walked.

I was just wondering if you guys have been getting decent results from the app. Remember to report which phone you are using it on, because other sensors may help the app get better results.
    08-29-2014 11:10 AM
    I've noticed this with my 1520. I checked the step counts to my lunch place, and then checked the step count on my way back. the way back was roughly twice as much. I hope it gets better, but right now, it isn't really as reliable as a fitbit or pedometer. I have found that the more you use it, the closer it gets to being reliable. but, I still have reservations about trusting it.
    HerrKaputt likes this.
    08-29-2014 11:55 AM
    I understand where the unreliability comes from -- the GPS was off when I was walking (I checked a few times), so unless they turn on the GPS every now and then, they only know how many steps you took, not how long each is. So, I was prepared to accept a ~20% error. But the app says I was active for 1:02 hours yesterday, when the reality is more like 2 hours, and you don't need GPS for that.

Perhaps they could have a "calibrate" option where they use GPS and accelerometer to monitor a walk and, matching the two data sources, determine your step length. Then they can use that in future walks.

I also anticipate significant inaccuracies in bicycling distances, because there your movement can mean very small or very large distances depending on the gear you are on.
    08-29-2014 12:15 PM