Microsoft Maps & Favorites when not having internet connection

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Now when HERE Maps soon is gone for us & Maps is the alternative from MS, I have a question after having used the Microsoft Maps 5.1603.1380.0 in two of my Lumias (925 & 930) when having an approx 900km road trip this week between Sweden - Denmark - Sweden. Just to "push the limit", I primarily used the old h/w to see what it still is capable of. The L925 @ W10M 10586.338 did the job, no failures even when using it for navigation more than 4h from start to stop. Only charging was needed.

The Microsoft Maps worked over all, quite well. Sometimes hard to find addresses with the search, I don't know why because finally I found them. The voice guidance was sometimes a bit late. But over all I think it was okey for this trip.

The question.
When being abroad, I don't always have mobile data & internet connection. I then found out that my MS Maps favorites/waypoints wasn't available. I seems as I need to have internet access & be logged in with my MS account to get the favorites. I found a "work around" for this trip, start the Maps app & open favorites when having WiFi f.x. at the Hotel & not shutting down the Maps app. But if something fails, the favorites are "gone" until next internet session.

Maybe I have missed something. But isn't it possible in some way to have the favorites saved/synced into the phone even in offline mode / No internet access?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Now when HERE Maps soon is gone for us & Maps is the alternative from MS, I have a question after having used the Microsoft Maps 5.1603.1380.0 in two of my Lumias (925 & 930) when having an approx 900km road trip this week between Sweden - Denmark - Sweden. Just to "push the limit", I primarily used the old h/w to see what it still is capable of. The L925 @ W10M 10586.338 did the job, no failures even when using it for navigation more than 4h from start to stop. Only charging was needed.

The Microsoft Maps worked over all, quite well. Sometimes hard to find addresses with the search, I don't know why because finally I found them. The voice guidance was sometimes a bit late. But over all I think it was okey for this trip.

The question.
When being abroad, I don't always have mobile data & internet connection. I then found out that my MS Maps favorites/waypoints wasn't available. I seems as I need to have internet access & be logged in with my MS account to get the favorites. I found a "work around" for this trip, start the Maps app & open favorites when having WiFi f.x. at the Hotel & not shutting down the Maps app. But if something fails, the favorites are "gone" until next internet session.

Maybe I have missed something. But isn't it possible in some way to have the favorites saved/synced into the phone even in offline mode / No internet access?

check these articles,especially the first

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-central-news-discussion/425070-microsofts-new-maps-experience-now-available-non-redstone-windows-10-mobile.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-here-maps-windows-10-mobile.html#post3434665

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

Your favorites are now available offline so you can truly enjoy your offline maps and take advantage of all the places you have saved. You can also add notes to your favorites to keep track of things you want to remember about that place.

Strange that my favorites dissapered when not having internet connection.

Is the offline favorites on by default, or do I have to enable something?

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't get any traffic info from Maps. My Here is still working. But if I lose that, I will need to go to something with traffic info on my route as well. Maybe waze. Any thoughts?

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get the same issue when home in Sweden and having mobile data or wifi. When turning all wifi & mobile data off, the offline favorites seems to work, as described above. Could be like that I had very poor signal to the wifi when starting the navigation in the car outside the hotel & that's why the favorites didn't show up, because the phone had a 0 to none internet connection available, but yet connected & then wanted to download the favorites from internet MS account.

I'm soon leaving for two weeks at Mallorca. So lets see how it works there.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm back after two weeks on Mallorca. The Maps app started to behave strange after landing. The GPS-possition was in some way wrong, but still near by & was jumping back & forth, sometimes in the ocean, sometimes on a road, sometimes in the woods. So not usable. Started Here Drive app & there it worked out as it should.Same map, same GPS, different app... But after a day it was possible to use Maps app again.

I had the same behaviour as in my first post at one occation. The favorites was empty. And if I remember it right it was when having poor wifi connection.

On thing I haven't found out in Maps. How do I save the current possition/location to favorites? That is very useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)