Bing uses apple and google maps

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I recently started using the Bing app on my android phone.

Within the app is a feature called nearby. Essentially, it's a map showing local restaurants, shops, etc.

It also has an option to get directions, and here's where it gets interesting...

Hit the directions tab and you're taken to a new web. For a few seconds, that page url is maps.apple.com before changing to maps.google.com

Im assuming the Bing nearby app first assumes you're using an apple device, before realising it's opening on an android and quickly defaults to google maps.

Either way, it's a little disappointing that Bing would default to apple and google maps within its own app.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently started using the Bing app on my android phone.

Within the app is a feature called nearby. Essentially, it's a map showing local restaurants, shops, etc.

It also has an option to get directions, and here's where it gets interesting...

Hit the directions tab and you're taken to a new web. For a few seconds, that page url is maps.apple.com before changing to maps.google.com

Im assuming the Bing nearby app first assumes you're using an apple device, before realising it's opening on an android and quickly defaults to google maps.

Either way, it's a little disappointing that Bing would default to apple and google maps within its own app.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

Even navigate to the Bing maps URL specifically on firefox (android app) auto directs to Google maps.

I sometimes need the ordanance survey view that's available on Bing Maps for work and when I'm working on the go.

Before I could use it on my phone without issues... now?

it's a pain in the arse as Microsoft has seriously messed up my work flow.

"Enable people to do more" my foot.

The internal bandwidth on the dumb terminals at work is sloooow as molasses in January and it's even worse when working remotely.

So it was more efficient to use my phone via Staff WiFi.

Right now I'm working from home and my lunch break so I am able to use my own internet connection to load up the bing maps. But that's not a feasible work around at all.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's things like this that make the idea of Windows 11 showing up on the Duo a non-starter.

Mobile devices need excellent mapping apps, and the fact that Bing's own mobile app now opens as Google and...wtf... Apple maps is pretty poor.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's things like this that make the idea of Windows 11 showing up on the Duo a non-starter.

I disagree, you can use URI linking to force load certain websites and apps when you tap on a specific URL. Window Mobile 10 already has that functionality and by extension W10 as well - it's called App Defaults in settings.

Mobile devices need excellent mapping apps, and the fact that Bing's own mobile app now opens as Google and...wtf... Apple maps is pretty poor.

Well, Ballmer learned his mistake with the WM6.5 to Wp7 transition. Unfortunately, the bean counters didn't sooo Microsoft never acquired the Mapping division from Nokia. Instead Here Maps it was bought by a conglomerate of car manufacturers.

In regards to Bing maps and Google maps both have their pros and cons - both are by no means accurate. However, Microsoft relinquishing further control to Google does not bode well the openness of the web. Practially all websites require ajax.googleapis.com to run. You block that and the website becomes as functional as a scrollable wall of text.

Apple maps, will catch up as after all Apple is playing the long game.

anon(10761900)

Aug 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

It seems that they have updated the Near By feature to be able to use the map fully of Bing servers as well with a local guide, you can click POI's, see more info and so on. Nothing on US version online at bing.com/maps has a new "Today on Bing Maps" features as well they are updating imagery on serval places with new Vexcal imagery with new birds-eye view! Amazing new aerial imagery!

It seems they are almost done the Maps app and awaiting approval from Apple/google!

Shawn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa