Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much experience with either Meego let alone BB10, but the first feel I got from the two images that the N9 image would be more of a multitasking screen, while the lower picture (I suppose it's BB10?) looks more like having widgets on the screen.

how'd you get that, imo BB10 appears to be multitasking more then the N9 since its icons look so fixed in place... If anything they're kind of the same...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry is probably the best OS for email.

But lets talk Peek.

On BB10 you swipe to the right from anywhere and get your unified inbox. Emails, tweets, Facebook etc. But, if like me you like only emails in a unified inbox and your tweets, SMS etc in their own little inbox then a further swipe to the right will show these.

On android the notification bar can be pulled down from anywhere also and all your notifications will be shown in only one swipe.

The android notification bar could be considered a form of peek also?

Both my android phone and BB have a notification LED so you tend to know whether you have an email or whatever before you peek. On my BB with the BeBuzz led application I would often know who the message is from if I have set colours for contacts.

Based on my use Android will seemingly get me to my notifications quicker. One swipe down as opposed to two swipes across.

I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS. Notifications come up at the bottom of the screen without any input from the user. If it interests you, then you tap on it. If you don't, then just swipe it away. As the Old Milwaukee ads from the 70's would say, it don't get no better than this. Yes, I'm that old, get over it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you mean BB10, and yes, it does display info a lot better then live tiles, they can also be removed, unlike in WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to closes it :)

Unlike WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to close it? Are you trying to tell me if you remove the tile from the start screen then it'll delete the app? Wait... I'm sure if I swipe to the screen on the right the app is still there even if I delete it from the Start Screen... unless my WP is behaving oddly?

I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS.

And I'll take your webOS and raise you ten billion dollars. (Honestly, your post made me laugh so hard even though it came across as like a gamer of poker)

justbb10x

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally say yes, for a few reasons
1. Blackberry balance: before there was a problem that people that got a blackberry at work could not make full use of a blackberry because the boss blocked a few things. This problem is now gone, because bb balance lets you have two profiles : one that the boss can control and one for home. There are even two app worlds.
2. Browser: the browser is incredible. It has a a 485 /500 score on the html5 test which is the highest amongst mobile platforms.
3. Hub and peek: you can peek anytime into the hub, a unified inbox, even while in another app.
4.apps: rim is doing a lot to bring apps to the platform and it will have the biggest number at launch.
5. Keyboard. All those that have to type a lot from their phone love blackberry full touch and qwerty keyboard. Its simply the best
6.small cool features:. Camera app, pic destroyer on browser, etc
These are the things that'll bring subscribers back. I must admit that their biggest challenge is marketing but i think their new cmo knows what hes doing

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll see your Peek and I'll raise you some webOS. Notifications come up at the bottom of the screen without any input from the user. If it interests you, then you tap on it. If you don't, then just swipe it away. As the Old Milwaukee ads from the 70's would say, it don't get no better than this. Yes, I'm that old, get over it.

lol that made me chuckle!

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally say yes, for a few reasons
1. Blackberry balance: before there was a problem that people that got a blackberry at work could not make full use of a blackberry because the boss blocked a few things. This problem is now gone, because bb balance lets you have two profiles : one that the boss can control and one for home. There are even two app worlds.
2. Browser: the browser is incredible. It has a a 485 /500 score on the html5 test which is the highest amongst mobile platforms.
3. Hub and peek: you can peek anytime into the hub, a unified inbox, even while in another app.
4.apps: rim is doing a lot to bring apps to the platform and it will have the biggest number at launch.
5. Keyboard. All those that have to type a lot from their phone love blackberry full touch and qwerty keyboard. Its simply the best
6.small cool features:. Camera app, pic destroyer on browser, etc
These are the things that'll bring subscribers back. I must admit that their biggest challenge is marketing but i think their new cmo knows what hes doing

The CB crowd don't seem to like the keyboard version: x10. Looks like the OS has just been chopped in half and slapped on but I do think it will be beautified more before launch.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://crackberry.com/new-pictures-blackberry-x10

read the comments..... Ouch[/FONT]

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The CB crowd don't seem to like the keyboard version: x10. Looks like the OS has just been chopped in half and slapped on but I do think it will be beautified more before launch.

http://crackberry.com/new-pictures-blackberry-x10

read the comments..... Ouch
It felt like RIM just smacked us diehards in the face :(

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unlike WP8 which would delete the app if you tried to close it? Are you trying to tell me if you remove the tile from the start screen then it'll delete the app? Wait... I'm sure if I swipe to the screen on the right the app is still there even if I delete it from the Start Screen... unless my WP is behaving oddly?

And I'll take your webOS and raise you ten billion dollars. (Honestly, your post made me laugh so hard even though it came across as like a gamer of poker)

An HTC WP buddy told me that, if I'm wrong sorry :) but still my point stands on BB10...

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
It might work better than it looks. The device itself isn't too bad, the back will be changed I am sure. The problem is how the OS looks on it, only 8 icons to a screen will mean lots of scrolling and I am guessing this means only two active frames to a screen too. Not pretty.

Rim wants everyone to use all touch eventually I think. The OS is made for touch and touch looks and works best on a big screen.

i would worry that the touch screen models sell very very well but the keyboard version won't so any gains would be offset with losses. That said, the finished product that we will see on 30th January may be an improvement.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It might work better than it looks. The device itself isn't too bad, the back will be changed I am sure. The problem is how the OS looks on it, only 8 icons to a screen will mean lots of scrolling and I am guessing this means only two active frames to a screen too. Not pretty.

Rim wants everyone to use all touch eventually I think. The OS is made for touch and touch looks and works best on a big screen.

i would worry that the touch screen models sell very very well but the keyboard version won't so any gains would be offset with losses. That said, the finished product that we will see on 30th January may be an improvement.

I hope your right...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
An HTC WP buddy told me that, if I'm wrong sorry :) but still my point stands on BB10...

Your point on BB10 does indeed still stand. As for your HTC WP buddy (as the initial "WTAF!?" is gone), just explain to him if he swipes across (so the screen moves along to the right, is that a left swipe or right swipe, I've never known, but given how swipe up works I would say it's a left swipe) then he can still find the app in there. If it's a game, check the Games hub. It should still be there.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://crackberry.com/new-pictures-blackberry-x10

read the comments..... Ouch[/FONT]

If that's really a production unit that bb expects to drop soon, its over. Oh my :(

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think there's nothing wrong with the os. I just don't see it competing well without app support. We'll see in a few weeks if that "confirmed" list is true or if crackberry is buying someone a car

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't really. Think BB10 could kill. Wp at all. I personally think they will both grow. But judging on the demand of the 920. especially China. I was at Shanghai. and was at the Nokia Store and there are like tones of people waiting for a 920. I asked the reps about the demand. and it's been selling like crazy he said. he also said. that there were tones of preorders. Also the Yellow 920 has been the highest demand I think Wp will grow at a faster rate then BB10.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think there's nothing wrong with the os. I just don't see it competing well without app support. We'll see in a few weeks if that "confirmed" list is true or if crackberry is buying someone a car
No offense to you wp guys, but I think bb10 will have more app support then wp...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't really. Think BB10 could kill. Wp at all. I personally think they will both grow. But judging on the demand of the 920. especially China. I was at Shanghai. and was at the Nokia Store and there are like tones of people waiting for a 920. I asked the reps about the demand. and it's been selling like crazy he said. he also said. that there were tones of preorders. Also the Yellow 920 has been the highest demand I think Wp will grow at a faster rate then BB10.

The Yellow 920 has the highest demand in China? Dude, that comment is so close to being a racial slur it's not even funny.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077