BB10 - Android without an ecosystem.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
"Another grid-of-apps ecosystem layout."

Bingo. Not only that, the UI choice they made for the icons..Yikes. A shaded box around the icon with the name of the application in it? What the heck is that?

blackberry will always look "corporate" and boring. And people seem to forget how behind the cutting edge blackberry is when releasing hardware.......no thanks

lynxs_claw

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It is accurate to say the Playbook is a failure. RIM had to write it off despite the fire sale. It was almost as big a failure as the Touchpad.

No doubt RIM has learned their lessons with the launch of the playbook. Now, they have done everything right in their launching of BB10 - with all the developer conferences, listening to them, developed cross-platform toolkits for ease of porting and creating apps, developer incentives and knowing now what the customers are most interested in being addressed in the BB10 new features and multitasking user interface, they have definitely maximized their chance for success. A me-too os or even entertaining an Android OS would have been a bad move - only Samsung is making money here. They'll do very well with their fan base as well as others who has left BB for features that were lacking which BB10 will now have, knowing that that BB10 will have the current BB features that customers always wanted - security, notifications, etc. and more..

Oh yeah and to add QNX RTOS is awesome!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the word ecosystem is on the tip of your average punters tongue every time they go to buy a smartphone. It's overused and misunderstood.

I think those that dismiss it obviously aren't invested in one therefore don't know how important of a role it plays when picking a phone. Sure you could pick any old phone cause you like it, but when you notice it doesn't support apps that you use normally, then regret settles in

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Let's compare the lead up to BB10 to WP8's lead up; where MS failed to provide developers the sdk in a timely manner. The unfinished BB10 prototypes work better than the finished WP8 phones. The BB10 OS itself is far more fluid and has better features than WP8, who banked on the currently bad implementation of Live Tiles as a selling feature that aren't so live after all. No notification center, for which the lame excuse is "we ran out of time". Wha!? Random reboots, a grocery list of other bugs and glitches that even the BB10 alpha test devices don't have. A 400+ post thread stickied in the WP8 forum for a place to criticize problems. OTA updates at the mercy of OEM's and carriers is Android fragmentation all over again. I have to stop here because I can't even begin to list all of the grievances against the WP8 phones here because the count so far is too large an undertaking. Using MS Office on the phone is certainly a good feature, but for every good feature I've seen people point out in order to state why WP8 will succeed I can only reply: If that's the case, why aren't the sales numbers reflecting that?

BB10 is going to deliver a far more solid user experience, and when the Q4 2013 results are in for both phones, I'm going to be able to prove it. It would take a combined effort of Samsung, HTC, and Nokia to hope to outsell Blackberry 10 devices, and even then it's going to look a lot more grim for Nokia, who's whole future is riding on WP8, and people are going to (and already are) looking to Samsung's and HTC's Android offerings before the WP8 devices. How many people are looking at the immensely popular Samsung Galaxy S3 or Note 2 vs. the Samsung Ativ and saying "I'm going to go with that Ativ!".

Even IF the BB10 were to flop, my choice would be the same as what you're already seeing everyone else do: Buy an iPhone 5 or an Android.

Bb10 won't be without faults. No platform is. So while we're harping on shortcomings, just remember to get your laundry list ready come launch day

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
BB10 will probably do very well. It doesn't mean that everyone will have one.

How boring would it be if we all had the same phone?

The Playbook may well see a revival once it has the BB10 OS on it. They have to price it right though, the 4G playbook was *quietly* launched not so long ago for something like $499.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
BB10 will probably do very well. It doesn't mean that everyone will have one.

How boring would it be if we all had the same phone?

The Playbook may well see a revival once it has the BB10 OS on it. They have to price it right though, the 4G playbook was *quietly* launched not so long ago for something like $499.

I doubt if the original Playbook will see a revival. Nobody wants two year old hardware. That is ancient in the tech world.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
They may refresh it. A 10 inch Playbook seems to be what will come next.

Putting BB10 on the current WiFi playbook which can be bought super cheaply at the moment could be very good advertising/promotion for the new OS but pricing any new tabs too high with all the competition out there may dampen any enthusiasm.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They may refresh it. A 10 inch Playbook seems to be what will come next.

Putting BB10 on the current WiFi playbook which can be bought super cheaply at the moment could be very good advertising/promotion for the new OS but pricing any new tabs too high with all the competition out there may dampen any enthusiasm.
If they do release a new one, I believe it would need a new name. Playbook is too damaged by the negative opinions due to the initial high price for a half-baked product. If a new version is to be successful it needs to be rebranded with a new name. It's currently considered as much "damaged goods" as the Storm.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If they do release a new one, I believe it would need a new name. Playbook is too damaged by the negative opinions due to the initial high price for a half-baked product. If a new version is to be successful it needs to be rebranded with a new name. It's currently considered as much "damaged goods" as the Storm.

I agree with the above statement, but will note that IMO the negative perception of the Playbook is a shame. The Playbook has excellent hardware (and unbelievable sound for a 7" tablet; it needs to be heard to be believed) and Blackberry Tablet OS (i.e. BB pre-10 QNX OS) is a very easy-to-use operating system (though the browser sometimes lags too much). Actually, in terms of pure use BB Tablet OS is my second-favorite mobile OS as of this writing behind Windows Phone OS. RIM shot themselves in the foot (and then hit said foot with a 2' by 4") by taking A YEAR to integrate e-mail into the OS.

JamesTBurns

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I paid $499 for the Playbook shortly after its 2011 launch. I had a Curve 8530 at the time. I'm trying to remember anything I used that thing for besides an alarm clock......I got nothing. Even found its "world class" browser unreliable. The apps were shocking....like Swedish metro/bus timetable apps, Indian cookbook "apps", wow.....the Playbook.

alphonsocino

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
i dont agree that its andorid without an ecosystem at all. its blackberry which has an ecosystem, almost 80 million subscribers, and now you factor in the crossover ecosystem with android and you have a whole lot more and a whole lot more dynamic ecosystem. i dont at all think bb10 will kill wp, but i do think it has a lot of promise and thorsten is driving it in the right direction. IF it launches with all the top native apps and it catches on with current bb die hards, it can definitely catch a quick decent marketshare.

i for one, am really thinking about making the switch, supposedly it has real time multitasking, native keyboard supposedly made with swiftkey technology, and the design created by TAT, has me pretty much sold. i just need to see it in person first.

sirfly2fly

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Given the PB will receive BB10 you can probably expect tech bloggers to give it another review and given the experience is good as the phones and has the apps the phone has, it pretty much becomes a brand new tablet. The history will be there but for current users moving forward they will be happier than ever and maybe cause some others to pick theirs back up and expect people to snatch up all the cheap ones still left in store and on ebay.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooting for Microsoft but I honestly think bb10 will do very well. The stability of wp8 has been a major shock to me and almost makes me want to try something else. In the end I know it's a new OS and fixes will come, but I have a feeling bb10 will be much more polished out the gate.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The amount of stupidity on this forum is just shocking. I honestly get a headache reading the majority of posts here.

Oh hi. You must be new to the internet. Let me fill you in before you sell your modem. Every tech site is like this. This one is actually pretty tame. Check out the verge and see for yourself.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
RIM posted a net loss of over $100 million in q3, how is that business going up working out for them. I have had to use bb for 5 years at work, their OS is uninspired and far buggier than WP, their devices are trash and limited in choice, and BES is inferior to intume/SCCM2012 integration.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

To be fair BB10 is completely new built upon a different OS

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Another grid-of-apps ecosystem layout. Nothing to see here.

This won't take off, no need to say "THIS WILL BE WPS DOOMSDAY" when you look at the BB10 countdown. Its more of BB's doomsday.

No sign of the OP ever since BB10 was announced to be getting all the major apps that wp8 doesn't have. So much for his theory. It was flawed anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb