Bb10 copied ex-Nokia Meego?

WoWNyx

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't you think guys? Meego OS which was running on the N9 which is also the father of the Lumia 920 uni body design, started the single hand swipe oriented design. MEEGO was an awesome software but if it was not for the lack of hardware and also the sudden drop in all support for it ( I would have personally got it).

It seems today that the BB10 is taking that a step further, basically what they did was stole the iPhone 5 body (I smell a law suit coming ) design and concept behind Meego and called it the BB10.

What do you guys out there think of it?

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know Blackberry bought all the MeeGo project patents, so they could do anything with them. Nokia could take advantage of the MeeGo's potential but their economic problems didn't let Nokia improve the OS... And that's sad....
Now talking about the iPhone's 5 shape, I think that there will be a demand on blackberry soon :p

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know Blackberry bought all the MeeGo project patents, so they could do anything with them. Nokia could take advantage of the MeeGo's potential but their economic problems didn't let Nokia improve the OS... And that's sad....
Now talking about the iPhone's 5 shape, I think that there will be a demand on blackberry soon :p

Didn't know that. They bought all of em? I'd wish Nokia would hang on to them. I mean, it's not like anyone would think they're not hopeful for windows, I mean look at Asha. Nah, I'd have kept the Ace in the sleeve.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

That's not true and economically Nokia has always had way more space to move, still has. Granted it's also much larger company as far as their 98 000 workers go and owning 9 factories around the globe, plus NSN, so the imminent drop is also more severe. Especially as they used to be much bigger.

The key here is Qt. it is the mid layer and serves as the tools for building software and IU. Qt mobile is Nokia's doing and it is used on BB10, why the UI elements and feel is so similar.
MeeGo=harmattan (aka Maemo 6)

Nokia bought the Qt developer, Trolltech back in 2008, but it sold rights for commercial licensing and it's Qt workforce around the globe to Finnish Digia year ago as it moved to Windows Phone.
The Qt components Nokia developed itself are open, it just made very customized version of them on Harmattan (N9 and N950). Plus of course their own set of apps or specific UI patents are not free game, the tools it developed with big money are open. After all for Nokia it was advantage to get other manufacturers to use Qt that it pretty much controlled. Similar thinking with Symbian back in 2001-2008 and Samsung, SE and others using Symbian with Nokia owning 49% of it and later on all the whole thing.

Didn't know that. They bought all of em? I'd wish Nokia would hang on to them. I mean, it's not like anyone would think they're not hopeful for windows, I mean look at Asha. Nah, I'd have kept the Ace in the sleeve.

Harmattan is still described as future distribution on Nokia's reports. Naturally at this moment they can't spare time all around like they could back in the day and the Qt development isn't in their hands anymore.
Harmattan code is still being developed right under Nokia's eyes next to their HQ in Espoo, Finland by Jolla that is set to release their device next week. Jolla itself includes much of the Nokia Harmattan workforce (not Qt that was much larger global team). Jolla as a company was a result of Nokia's Gate projects that helped people who were kicked out to start new company by money and by licensing patents for free to these companies.
If Nokia gets up from this mess, I could see Jolla melting back to Nokia someday.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster