This is going to suck

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hear that? That's BB kicking MS in the teeth out back. Come on MS, I know YOU don't think these silly apps are important, but your customers do. With PC market dying you think mobile would be their focus right now. Don't care about instagram, but there are a hundred other things I want. Will MS ever deliver? I'm starting to loose faith.

Have to give BB credit. They did get it right with their whole port from android setup. It's more options, something WP8 is missing badly.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I understand, most of the apps are bad ports. Also, none of the major apps have released anything. Including instagram.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hear that? That's BB kicking MS in the teeth out back. Come on MS, I know YOU don't think these silly apps are important, but your customers do. With PC market dying you think mobile would be their focus right now. Don't care about instagram, but there are a hundred other things I want. Will MS ever deliver? I'm starting to loose faith.

Have to give BB credit. They did get it right with their whole port from android setup. It's more options, something WP8 is missing badly.

Ported apps are the last thing I want, especially from Android. BB doesn't even have some of the basic apps like imdb.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have Twitter, but this is something that definitely needs to be tweeted to Joe Belfiore, Ben The PC Guy, Ballmer, and everybody else at Microsoft.

Although I would not use Instagram, many users are currently; and many would, if brought to the WP platform. It is simply ridiculous that Microsoft cannot leverage their relationship with Facebook to bring this app to WP users. It's baffling.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is the difference between a ported app and the "real app".

Won't it function the same?

Ported apps are stop gaps. They are written for Android, but BB10 will operate them with limited success. On Playbook they crash a lot, don't really have full function and in general, look pretty pathetic. But, sometimes its the only way to get app because dev won't write for BB. And porting isn't as easy as point and click. Well, Some of the apps are actually in BB appworld and work pretty good with no trouble. But some you can do manually and its a process and not always successful.

TomJasper

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Twitter, but this is something that definitely needs to be tweeted to Joe Belfiore, Ben The PC Guy, Ballmer, and everybody else at Microsoft.

Although I would not use Instagram, many users are currently; and many would, if brought to the WP platform. It is simply ridiculous that Microsoft cannot leverage their relationship with Facebook to bring this app to WP users. It's baffling.

I suspect you would be wasting your time with that tweet.

I just don't see the effort from MS in regards to wooing dev's, I mean seriously have a look at what Blackberry has done and is doing, it's like night and day compared to MS efforts.

TomJasper

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ported apps are stop gaps. They are written for Android, but BB10 will operate them with limited success. On Playbook they crash a lot, don't really have full function and in general, look pretty pathetic. But, sometimes its the only way to get app because dev won't write for BB. And porting isn't as easy as point and click. Well, Some of the apps are actually in BB appworld and work pretty good with no trouble. But some you can do manually and its a process and not always successful.

Are you serious,lol. So many untruths in your post it's not worthy of a reply.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I had a PlayBook and ported some Android bars that I needed and they all worked fine. However, one of your statements is not entirely accurate. Android apps generally have missing functions (fragmentation rearing its ugly head) and they ALL look pathetic. I give credit where credit is due, and in this regard I have to tip my hat to iOS devs. They make their apps "look" good. For example, either the eBay app or the Pageonce app look so much better than their Android counterpart it's not even debatable. I've always been the type to give it my all even if I'm not in the mood for it. It seems Android devs do just enough to make their apps "work" while iOS devs make their apps work AND give them some eye candy. Form follows function is a very misunderstood concept. As Billy Crystal's "Fernando" used to say "it's better to look good than to feel good".

Elwe Feanorfin

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, pretty new here on WP forum; from CB. I highly doubt the Instagram app in ported Android because any Android app that uses native code does not work on BB's Android runtime. Hence sideloaded Instagram does not work on the PlayBook.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, pretty new here on WP forum; from CB. I highly doubt the Instagram app in ported Android because any Android app that uses native code does not work on BB's Android runtime. Hence sideloaded Instagram does not work on the PlayBook.
If it doesn't work on the Playbook, that doesn't mean it won't work on BB10. I am most certain this is sideloaded app. Still, that is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)