This is going to suck

Ticomfreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft were to make WP8 compatible with Android apps, Microsoft could not make smartphones with anyone who manufactures Android phones per Google's TOS for use of the play store.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft were to make WP8 compatible with Android apps, Microsoft could not make smartphones with anyone who manufactures Android phones per Google's TOS for use of the play store.

Even with ToS, why would you want WP loaded with Android ports? It would be worse than a pretty 17 year old finding acne on her face!

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
FYI there are quite a few unofficial sideload that work perfectly well. I wish envious people would stop spreading misinformation to make themselves feel better.

Secondly, my current daily driver IS android, so I know the difference between badly working sideload and working ones.

Lastly, due to side loading my potential number of good apps will probably triple what WP8 has in their app store by the end of this year.

Here's what I won't have: developers abandoning ship left and right, a non existent notification hub, devices built by 3+ manufacturers all with different update schedules, and Live Tiles that... Aren't, really.

Now pardon me while I go check out all the lines that have been reported as forming across the country this morning for the Z10.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
FYI there are quite a few unofficial sideload that work perfectly well. I wish envious people would stop spreading misinformation to make themselves feel better.

Secondly, my current daily driver IS android, so I know the difference between badly working sideload and working ones.

Lastly, due to side loading my potential number of good apps will probably triple what WP8 has in their app store by the end of this year.

Here's what I won't have: developers abandoning ship left and right, a non existent notification hub, devices built by 3+ manufacturers all with different update schedules, and Live Tiles that... Aren't, really.

Now pardon me while I go check out all the lines that have been reported as forming across the country this morning for the Z10.

Wow, troll posts are gaining quality these days on our forums.

samab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is the difference between a ported app and the "real app".

Won't it function the same?

There is a lot of mis-use of technical phrases in explaining BB10's android runtimes.

Android's Dalvik engine is open source --- so RIM grabbed the open source codes and ported them to QNX. When you have the original source code, it is called a direct port --- not an "emulator" as most people stated in the past 2 years regarding Playbook's Android runtime. The speed of a pure "java-esque" Android app (basic apps like imdb) will be the same in an Android phone/tablet vs in a Z10/Playbook.

Pure java-esque Android apps can be "repackaged" to run on a Playbook/BB10 --- which is basically taking your Android app installation file (in Google's "zip" format), use winzip to unzip your single installation zip file into 100 different individual files, and then use winrar to compress the 100 different individual files back down into a single BB10 installation file (in Blackberry's "rar" format). That's it --- that's repackaging.

You don't need access to the original source code --- so anybody can basically grab a pure java-esque android app (from torrents), repackage it and then sideload into a BB10. Because this kind of illegal repackaging is done WITHOUT the original source code, end-user experience will be sub-optimal. Fonts and buttons can be too big or too small --- because different screen resolutions. If there is a button in the original android app to launch the Google Play store and the BB10 doesn't have the Google Play store --- when you press that button in your repackaged app in the BB10 phone, the repackaged app will hang.

But if you are the original Android app developer and you have the original source code to your pure java-esque android app --- all you need to do is to fix a few issues with font sizes and delete a few "features" (like the launch button to the Google Play Store).

What the Playbook/BB10's Android runtime cannot do is to run Android apps that contain native c/c++ codes --- i.e. Android's version of Angry Birds will never be able to run on the Playbook/BB10. All 4 Angry Birds games on Playbook for the last year have been pure native Playbook apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte