07-02-2013 07:32 PM
36 12
tools
    Ironically, $450 is about the top end of the going rate for a Blackberry Z10 on eBay right now. You can buy a NIB Z10 in the high $300s.
    That's because these phones don't have any resale value. Another reason people tend to stay away.
    06-30-2013 09:39 AM
    That's because these phones don't have any resale value. Another reason people tend to stay away.
    Yup. Actually my comment was meant to imply that the cost for a Z10 in the store should be about $400 right now. Blackberry has overpriced both the Z10 and the Q10 IMO (and actually has overpriced pretty much all of their high-end devices at launch, including the Playbook and Bold 9930/9900, for the last 2 1/2 years).

Ironically the weak resale value and recent earnings call announcement will further drive down the Z10's resale value. That will work to my advantage when I purchase one off-contract in a few months, probably in the September/October 2013 timeframe.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2013 10:10 AM
    I tried to sell her on WP8. She just kind of looked at it with glazed eyes and said, "That's nice, but I want an Android." I said, "But blah blah blah" - (think Charlie Brown's teacher talking here). I tried guys. She gave up on BB, and she just didn't want WP. Android it is. Its a sad day... :-(
    When my daughter pays for her own service contracts and devices she's welcome to get anything she wants. ;)
    berty6294 and menaknow like this.
    07-01-2013 03:00 PM
    Did I miss something or was the article about the PlayBook not getting OS10. I've read umpteen posts regarding Z10 this and Z10 that. Pricing, quality, developers, apps, etc. The article had nothing to do with BlackBerry phones!
    07-01-2013 11:25 PM
    Did I miss something or was the article about the PlayBook not getting OS10. I've read umpteen posts regarding Z10 this and Z10 that. Pricing, quality, developers, apps, etc. The article had nothing to do with BlackBerry phones!
    "More worrisome for the company is that, of the 6.8 million smartphones it shipped during the quarter, only 2.7 million of those were handsets running the new BlackBerry 10 operating system. Both of the phones released so far—the Z10 and the Q10—have been more expensive, high-end models, while phones targeted at the mid-range market are supposedly coming later this year. However, those numbers are still down from both the first quarter of 2013 (7.8 million phones shipped) up only slightly from the previous quarter (6 million), suggesting that BlackBerry 10 isn't doing much to boost overall demand for the company's hardware."
    07-01-2013 11:29 PM
    The Z10 is an awesome device. I almost got one. I was really excited after getting my hands on one. There were two things that held me back: the ridiculous app market, and the high cost. $200 for the upgrade? Sorry Charlie, I went ahead and took advantage of windows phones offering top notch devices for low prices. I love the Z10 but I am so happy with my 928 the bb is just a distant memory.
    07-02-2013 12:08 AM
    Didn't BB say they would release devices with the old OS on them? Don't know the point of that if it's true.
    07-02-2013 01:36 AM
    Didn't BB say they would release devices with the old OS on them? Don't know the point of that if it's true.
    Yes, that is true. Those devices will be for emerging markets.
    07-02-2013 01:48 AM
    I agree. Things are not looking up for the BB community. That being said, we should probably be looking to court BB folk over here to the WP8 side instead of "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Now if only we could get BBM...
    um...Been berry all my mobile life. Was just watching the stock ticker drop and next thing I knew, I'm posting here.
    07-02-2013 02:53 PM
    Z10 has 2 gigs of ram. Wonder why I can't get a WP with more RAM. Maybe I can download some? (JHF)
    07-02-2013 03:02 PM
    Journalism 101 Laura, there has to be a reason why the update isn't coming to the PB. The reader needs to understand Cardinal Rule # 1, why. The author is suggesting it's the quarterlies. You could also argue that the revenue is up because of the sales of the high-end phones and the overall loss due to the high number of legacy devices being sold, primarily, to emerging markets. Either way, it's a poorly written article that does nothing but speculate as to why BlackBerry is pulling an HP on its customers "suggesting that BlackBerry 10 isn't doing much to boost overall demand for the company's hardware." Did the author ever stop to consider that pushing the update to an established customer base might pique interest and create sales? Shoot, now you got me speculating.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-02-2013 07:32 PM
36 12