Called it. BB not so hot right now....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I loved BlackBerry too and used BlackBerry prior to Windows Phone.

I'd like to see the company survive. I believe there is room in the smartphone market for Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and BlackBerry.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to see the company survive. I believe there is room in the smartphone market for Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and BlackBerry.

I understand what you mean. But BB needs to partner with the tech giants to help them. I believe Nokia partnering with MS has paid of greatly.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I believe, just like the PC market, there is really only room for 2, even if there appears to be 3. There are 2 dominating and a 3rd with a miniscule market share.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe, just like the PC market, there is really only room for 2, even if there appears to be 3. There are 2 dominating and a 3rd with a miniscule market share.

Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think the industry could support all four but it seems to be getting harder and harder. BB lacks a broader ecosystem play. I'm sure they could technically survive on phones alone, but that's tough now. Wall St. wants growth or the promise of growth, they wouldn't be satisfied with a stable 5-10% share. And the tech press, blogosphere and fans are always looking to make instant pronouncements about winners and losers. If you're slow to pick up the pace then all the naysayers jump on it gleefully.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Why? Other forms of technology have multiple competitors. You think there are only two competitors in the PC market? Where are you getting that?

I didn't say there are only 2 competitors, I said there are only 2 dominating at one time.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I assume he means Windows and Apple, though I'd argue that Google will become a presence with chromebooks.

Anyway, it might make more sense to step back and just think about the whole space as "computing"- phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. You're now talking about a more evenly divided three way game between Apple, Google and Microsoft in terms of operating systems or platforms. And it will be tough for anyone to compete with a fourth platform, let alone a phone-only OS.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I assume he means Windows and Apple, though I'd argue that Google will become a presence with chromebooks.

Anyway, it might make more sense to step back and just think about the whole space as "computing"- phones, tablets, laptops, desktops. You're now talking about a more evenly divided three way game between Apple, Google and Microsoft in terms of operating systems or platforms. And it will be tough for anyone to compete with a fourth platform, let alone a phone-only OS.

I thought he was referring to Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, etc. But, just like in Android, at first it seems that there is room for many (HTC, Sammy, Moto) but as the market moves on it seem to favor one dominant company.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has no idea what it is doing. They overpriced their handsets to give them a premium feel which isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you want new customers.

Blackberry and many of its loyal fans also think that the Q10 and Q5 will save the company but the reality is that outside of Blackberry fans not many people want a qwerty phone with a tiny screen anymore.

I'm sure today's news will scare off a lot of potential developers which will probably cause even more problems down the road.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has no idea what it is doing. They overpriced their handsets to give them a premium feel which isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you want new customers.

Blackberry and many of its loyal fans also think that the Q10 and Q5 will save the company but the reality is that outside of Blackberry fans not many people want a qwerty phone with a tiny screen anymore.

I'm sure today's news will scare off a lot of potential developers which will probably cause even more problems down the road.

I agree. Things are not looking up for the BB community. That being said, we should probably be looking to court BB folk over here to the WP8 side instead of "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Now if only we could get BBM...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

But operating systems require support from developers for apps. It becomes increasingly difficult for developers with the more platforms they need to build apps for and continue support.

Desktop, phone, and gaming systems all seem to max out at 3, maybe 4 platforms to support. Beyond that and developers can't manage all of them, especially small time indie developers.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
But operating systems require support from developers for apps. It becomes increasingly difficult for developers with the more platforms they need to build apps for and continue support.

Desktop, phone, and gaming systems all seem to max out at 3, maybe 4 platforms to support. Beyond that and developers can't manage all of them, especially small time indie developers.

Yeah, I agree. He said PC market so I thought he meant the PC market. As in OEM's: Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Etc. As far as OS's go, I agree.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The reason BB10 isn't so hot right now is because some bonehead over there thought it would be a good idea to price something like a Z10 and Q10 in the same category as a HTC One, Galaxy S4 or Note 2. People aren't stupid. There's nothing in the Z10 that would make an unbiased customer want to go for it over a HTC One. Nothing on that phone stands out. Camera is terrible, design is boring as heck, runs a new OS. Doesn't have any feature that truly stands out and says BUY ME FOR THIS!
If I can get a developer edition HTC One 64GB for just $650, then a Z10 should be selling for $450 tops.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
As a playbook owner it drives me crazy that they promised us that they would update the PB's to BB10 and they're now backtracking and then much much later. Thats all I've been looking forward to cuz my playbook is so sluggish and slow. I know some people on crackberry that bought many playbooks at firesale rates to sell when BB10 was released. I bet they're real pissed now! I mean yeah I own a 900 that Won't get wp8 but at least the CEO of MS never said it would be updated then didn't.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I know where you are coming from with the PlayBook. I loved my PlayBook but it died about a month ago (charging circuit??). Luckily, I had an extended warranty and the store where I bought it gave me a credit for the full purchase price (I was an early PlayBook purchaser). I was going to get another PlayBook, but couldn't find one; thought long and hard about a top of the line Galaxy Tab, but was intrigued by the Surface Pro. I used the credit to get a Surface Pro, installed Office Home on it from my subscription, doubled the disk space with a 64 GB micro SD card, and it?s basically a laptop replacement and a tablet rolled into one! Seems that the PlayBook died at just the right time!

Last edited:

jefftam68

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
We are a BlackBerry family - well until recently. My daughter has owned a Curve (which is admittedly a fine texting/BBMing too but not much else) and she said one day she wants a new phone and doesn't want a BB, not even a new BB10. She's tired of the brand. Fair enough, so I tried to sell her on WP8. She just kind of looked at it with glazed eyes and said, "That's nice, but I want an Android." I said, "But blah blah blah" - (think Charlie Brown's teacher talking here). I tried guys. She gave up on BB, and she just didn't want WP. Android it is. Its a sad day... :-(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte