[Question] Your thoughts about the Blackberry Passport?

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Been a great experience on Windows Phone as a Lumia 920 user but I am enticed by the Blackberry passport because of its productivity and myself being a heavy reader and article writer

Any one feels the same as me and of you have bought the Blackberry passport recently then your experience

Thanks in advance 😊

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
now that office for phones will be universal app?

I don't think BlackBerry has MS Office, unless you can install the Android version. BlackBerry has Documents To Go, it's functional. It sounds like we'll be getting a great mobile version of MS Office soon, and a fully functional version with Windows 10.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Been a great experience on Windows Phone as a Lumia 920 user but I am enticed by the Blackberry passport because of its productivity and myself being a heavy reader and article writer

Any one feels the same as me and of you have bought the Blackberry passport recently then your experience

Thanks in advance 😊

I also want to go BB10 but I don't have that much money. I really love WP but not really enticed by W10. I don't care about apps and controls at bottom are absolute necessity for me. Now that humburgers are here, I am gonna move to BB10 or Jolla.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Thanks in advance 😊

I have one. One of the things I really enjoy is the large screen. The trouble with a rectangular phone is that when the virtual keyboard is up, half of your screen is taken up by the keyboard. So you end up doing a lot of scrolling back and forth, especially if you want to read parts of the original email again. I find it less frustrating.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't like the look and proportions of it.

I do however hope to get my hands on one of the x10's or the Classic someday.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I personally don't like the look and proportions of it.

I do however hope to get my hands on one of the x10's or the Classic someday.

It does look vvery weird but when you play around with it then you understand what its built for the core use being productivity on the go and optimization for reading on web. 60 words on one line rather than standard 32. Its the best device for the niche market its targetting being Business users and Heavy Readers

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I left BlackBerry because of the double-typing issue on the Q10, and it looks like the Passport is doing it now too; Double Typing on Passport - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
If you type a lot, this issue will drive you insane! If you don't type a lot, why give up screen real estate for a mechanical keyboard?

The double-typing wasn't that much of an issue except on passwords. :angry:

But a larger screen, a real camera and 10.3 is reason enough. I'm a real fan of BB OS10 because of the stolen UI from webOS but putting Android apps, even if they're sandboxed, on a BlackBerry seems like.....kissing your cousin. No offense to the fine folks in Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Yep, Like you I loved everything about BB10 OS, and my Q10, and had been BlackBerry since the 7290, they had me for life until double typing reared it's ugly head, followed by not even acknowledging they have a problem. My phone is EVERYTHING for me, phone, email, notebook, job tracker, maps, mobile internet access, ect, ect. I type A LOT, double typing is a game ender for me. I'm not a fan of either the Passport or Classic concepts, but would have moved to a Z30 if BlackBerry done anything to address the problem. BTW, it looks like the Classic is double typing also. It looks like I'll never go back to BlackBerry now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep, Like you I loved everything about BB10 OS, and my Q10, and had been BlackBerry since the 7290, they had me for life until double typing reared it's ugly head, followed by not even acknowledging they have a problem. My phone is EVERYTHING for me, phone, email, notebook, job tracker, maps, mobile internet access, ect, ect. I type A LOT, double typing is a game ender for me. I'm not a fan of either the Passport or Classic concepts, but would have moved to a Z30 if BlackBerry done anything to address the problem. BTW, it looks like the Classic is double typing also. It looks like I'll never go back to BlackBerry now.

If you type a lot, you're at the right place. WP does have the best keyboard and the best word prediction. I'm wondering if the double-typing is a 3rd party hardware issue. My Pre+, Pre 2 and Pre 3 all had the same problem. It's not a BlackBerry-only issue. But since nobody used webOS, the world would have never known.

shoaib shah

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
If you type a lot, you're at the right place. WP does have the best keyboard and the best word prediction. I'm wondering if the double-typing is a 3rd party hardware issue. My Pre+, Pre 2 and Pre 3 all had the same problem. It's not a BlackBerry-only issue. But since nobody used webOS, the world would have never known.

I'm doing my research into thus double typing issue might be wrong but what Ive read up so far its something affecting certain BB10 users and when installing BB messenger. Some say a soft reset of the device fixes the issue.

I love WP alot better than the Droids and Isheep out there but I'm opened minded looking for change and interested in the Passport because I need device to write up lengthy articles on the go and read all of my pdf documents. The 1:1 wide aspect ratio is just perfect for that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was just at the AT&T store getting a new SIM for the 2520 and I saw the Passport on display. Instead of chucking it into a corner, it was right next to the LG G3 and the M8 for Android. Although it was a very brief encounter, it just didn't feel right in my hand. Maybe I'm so used to my 1520 that it really felt small. The width is not that off-putting if you've handled large phones before, but the height to width ratio just doesn't feel right. It was set on demo mode so I couldn't see the new features in 10.3. Maybe tomorrow when they go official the demo will be turned off.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can shut off demo mode yourself, I can't remember how though.

If I recall, it's buried somewhere in the privacy settings. I didn't expect to see the device there otherwise I would have set some more time aside to check it out. Now that 10.3 started rolling out today, I might pick up another Z10 just for s**ts and giggles.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
If I recall, it's buried somewhere in the privacy settings. I didn't expect to see the device there otherwise I would have set some more time aside to check it out. Now that 10.3 started rolling out today, I might pick up another Z10 just for s**ts and giggles.

I love the Z10, to me it was the first all touch phone that could compete with the tried and true BB keyboard, too bad it has sucky battery life.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love BB10... email, keyboard, browser are all better, but the gap issue is way way worse than on WP.

With the advent of ported Android apps, I find WP app situation lacking compared to BB. The only one I'm missing now is ViewRanger, hopefully they will be on board with W10 (please oh please).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo