Android powered BlackBerry? WTH!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that BlackBerry hardware has gone so far downhill. The keyboards on the 9000 and 9700 were excellent. I never had double typing issues with either, and I used them so much I wore the paint off the keys.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame that BlackBerry hardware has gone so far downhill. The keyboards on the 9000 and 9700 were excellent. I never had double typing issues with either, and I used them so much I wore the paint off the keys.

Same here Laura, all my pre Q10 BlackBerrys' were beasts! My 7290 went off a 2nd story roof and survived (a bit scarred up though). As you know, I loved BB10 OS, making it all the worse BB giving it up for Android.

Last edited:

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Hm. Shame BB has sunk down far enough to use a rival's OS. I have personally never owned a BB (Being 12 years old I don't see the need for one) but I have always liked the look and feel of them.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
No surprise. That's why I switched to WP. With every update it was becoming more and more Android. Plus, it relies too much on the Android runtime. If you take the above and mix it with all the people in the forums wanting Google Play support and Android this and Android that. It's destiny.

Sad, but true.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
My thoughts haven't really changed but I am curious as to why they did this. BlackBerry seemed to be heading in the direction of phasing out the hardware (at least for consumers) and focus on enterprise - mostly software solutions. So why spend the money and effort making a device that runs Android only to throw it in a sea over populated with Android powered devices? Those that use Android won't want a BlackBerry, especially one that has a physical keyboard - in the minds of younger generations, a physical keyboard is so last generation. Android users want Samsungs and LGs. I do not see this device selling all that well. The only ones that will buy it are the ones that have been begging for an updated Torch...in other words, not that many.

I was interested in a device similar to this but the form factor had to be just right, and certainly not powered by Android. This one seems awkward and top heavy but the only way to tell is to actually hold one.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It's here! What are your thoughts now as opposed to 3 months ago when it was a rumor?

Android powered BlackBerry? WTH! still stands! The only positive with BlackBerry lately is they seem to have gotten a handle on the double typing issue. If BlackBerry comes out with a 4.5-5" high end phone running BB10 (Z10, Z30 replacement), I'll get excited.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I think your SOL steve. I think blackberry will be full android from now on. Heavly skinned to work like bb10 in the future, but android none the less.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Even though I think blackberry will have a tight leash on the operating system than other platforms. It will be interesting. But stick with wp. best system going.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
That being said, The new bb offerings are pretty sweet. If you never looked on their site. worth a visit to see how they keep a tight leash on security!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been checking out Crackberry every now and then, while I love BB10, I was one of many burned by double typing on my Q10, I'm still pi**y about how BlackBerry abandoned us users on this issue.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been out of the bb loop for AGES. Only interested since they came out with the priv. I don't know much about the double typing issue.

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I've got the Priv and for real guys.. It's a fantastic phone. BlackBerry really listened and put out a brilliant product. Well worth the money in my opinion. You won't understand unless you own one.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

naijab0y

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
How's the hub work in Android? Were you a BB 10 user before?

Yes. I still have my passport but already put it up for sale. The hub is good but not as good as bb10.

However like everything else you can expect that it will improve and (hopefully) see other apps like WhatsApp get integrated with time just like BBM and others like emails, texts, facebook and twitter already are.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium