BlackBerry refugees, we're here to help!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, it looks like the BB10 party is over with the release of the Priv and the soon released Vienna. To all those coming to Windows, welcome! Got any questions, comments ect?

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
A few questions, as we're now looking into Windows phones, especially with BlackBerry being droided (which we have used and do not like at all):

1. Do the devices have a global/universal search of the data, including contacts, docs, etc that's on the device?

2. Is there a built in File Manager on the device? How well does it work?

3. Truly, how is the application status coming along? Does the BBM app work well? Twitter? FB? Instagram? Music apps (that don't require data usage), like Neutron on Droid/BlackBerry? How are the Map apps? So basically, are they coming more rapidly now, or, does it remain in the hopeful stage? What is MSFT doing to ensure the app success for the platform? Glad to have read where they may have given up on the droid emulator project, but hopefully they are doing something to grab the attention of quality devs and apps.

4. Can you take say, a folder/file, and add it to your main tiles screen?

5. How well do notifications work? Can you customize notifications, say, for different contacts, email accts, social accounts? Is there a notification center, kind of like a hub for all your notifications?

6. Are you able to set up multiple email accounts, and how difficult is it to do?

7. Remote access to your PC? Doable now? If so, reliable?

8. Is MSFT truly dedicated to the WinPhone market, especially for the consumer and not just enterprise?

Thanks very much in advance!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Looking at Windows phones - Questions

1. Do the devices have a global/universal search of the data, including contacts, docs, etc that's on the device?
- Yes, this has been implemented since 8.1, more improvements in WM10

- It works..well. Functionality may differ on user scenario. There are various 3rd-party more powerful file managers in the Store

3. Truly, how is the application status coming along? Does the BBM app work well? Twitter? FB? Instagram? Music apps (that don't require data usage), like Neutron on Droid/BlackBerry? How are the Map apps? So basically, are they coming more rapidly now, or, does it remain in the hopeful stage? What is MSFT doing to ensure the app success for the platform? Glad to have read where they may have given up on the droid emulator project, but hopefully they are doing something to grab the attention of quality devs and apps.
- You may want to read the reviews for all of them. Some of them lack features when compared to their iOS/Android counterparts but some are being re-written for W10 as universal apps w/ better support

- Nope, not using the MS Files app

5. How well do notifications work? Can you customize notifications, say, for different contacts, email accts, social accounts? Is there a notification center, kind of like a hub for all your notifications?
- Yes, notification are customizable (including sounds and suppressing some)

6. Are you able to set up multiple email accounts, and how difficult is it to do?
- Yes, very easy to setup

7. Remote access to your PC? Doable now? If so, reliable?
- Yes, using either Team Viewer or the official Microsoft Remote Desktop

8. Is MSFT truly dedicated to the WinPhone market, especially for the consumer and not just enterprise?
- Yes, for now.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
A few questions, as we're now looking into Windows phones, especially with BlackBerry being droided (which we have used and do not like at all):
-I'll add some comments. I haven't used Windows 10 Mobile, and am currently running 8.1 on my Icon.

-This is done through Cortana, so it can be either a vocal or written request. It doesn't work as well as Universal search on BB10, but Cortana is always improving.

-The current file manager is called Files, and it's available in the Microsoft Store, but it's not very robust. I know W10M gets a native file manager, but I have not used it yet.

-Facebook works OK. The music app works well, I sync mine with iTunes. The current maps/navigation works very well, but there are new maps/navigation coming to W10M, I haven't used it. Microsoft is working on projects that will supposedly make it easy to convert iOS, Android, web and x86 apps to W10M. For me, I have all of the same or equivalent apps I had on BB, but it's not anywhere near what iOS and Android is.

-While you can't take files from the files manager and pin them to the start screen, you can pin OneNote notes, OneDrive folders, and stuff from Evernote to the Start screen. There may be more I don't know about.

-There is a swipe down notification center like BB10, but not as robust, but W10M will bring improvements to it. Currently with 8.1 you can turn on or off banners, sounds and vibrations for different apps. Also, in People (contacts) you can set up custom ringtones and text tones for specific contacts. With email on 8.1, you can have a linked inbox or you can have separate accounts in which you can turn on or off banners, sounds or vibrations for each account. You can pin to Start screen specific email folders. Also, the live tiles are little notification centers themselves, I have messages, calendar, email and the phone app at the top of my Start Screen, very BB Hub like!

Last edited:

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of selling my priv and get a lumia 950. A few main issues for me:

1. How well the windows10 email client is integrated with email accounts from gmail, icloud and Microsoft exchange? I need folder sync, instant push and ability to search emails on the server. All this works perfectly on BB10.

2. Can I attach multiple files from dropbox while composing an email? This feature doesnt work well on android and iOS. Works great in BB10. Key is to attach multiple files from compose email screen.

3. How are the notifications managed? BB10 is neat and simple. Android is clunky and tiring

Thanks in advance.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
1. How well the windows10 email client is integrated with email accounts from gmail, icloud and Microsoft exchange? I need folder sync, instant push and ability to search emails on the server. All this works perfectly on BB10.
Sync is always at the root level, and eventually trickles down to all folders. If by folder sync you meant syncing only a particular folder and not others then WM10 doesn't provide you that option yet. Emails are searchable on the server. Notifications can be either configured as push or pull depending on how you want.

2. Can I attach multiple files from dropbox while composing an email? This feature doesnt work well on android and iOS. Works great in BB10. Key is to attach multiple files from compose email screen.
Dropbox may not show up as a storage location hence its not detected in the file picker menu while composing an email. The way it does work is if you select the files to attach from the within the app and select email as an option then those files get attached to a new email ready to be composed. Other option would be to download the files onto the phone storage and then use the file picker to attach to an email

3. How are the notifications managed? BB10 is neat and simple. Android is clunky and tiring
In a nutshell, notifications are simple (in a good way) and are easy to manage/configure.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To all..I see some of you non-WP users are interested in moving over to the Microsoft platform. I would suggest looking for hands-on videos on YouTube to get a better sense of the look-n-feel before posting here. It would help answer your questions in a better way.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Can I attach multiple files from dropbox while composing an email? This feature doesnt work well on android and iOS. Works great in BB10. Key is to attach multiple files from compose email screen.

I relied heavily on Dropbox with BB10, but it just isn't integrated in the Windows Phone OS like BB10. I switched pretty much everything from Dropbox to OneDrive which is (of course) well integrated in the OS. OneDrive works good and works well on other platforms.
Get the 950!

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Well, would like to give the 950XL a go, but it appears that once again, in reading others posts/comments abou this, and as it was with BB10 devices, VZW is going to hinder the move into devices of our choosing :unhappy:. Any word/update on this?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Ah, sorry to hear you're on Verizon. Verizon and Microsoft seem to be in some sort of pi**ing match, and have been since I showed up. It doesn't sound like Verizon is going to carry either the 950 or the 950XL, but they currently carry a LG and a HTC Windows Phone, so hopefully they'll carry some new W10M hardware in the future. I'm on Verizon too, and when my contract is up in 1/2 year, I'll likely switch carriers again.

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, crazy isn't it? Consumers should only have to switch devices, not carriers every time they want/need a new device, ugh. Sadly, no other carriers around here work well, except one other, but they sing the Samsong :wink:. Left them for BB10.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, crazy isn't it? Consumers should only have to switch devices, not carriers every time they want/need a new device, ugh. Sadly, no other carriers around here work well, except one other, but they sing the Samsong :wink:. Left them for BB10.

Look into att I know you said it doesn't work well but they do have wifi calling from what I hear which could help with signal issues.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Look into att I know you said it doesn't work well but they do have wifi calling from what I hear which could help with signal issues.

The question then is will AT&T support WiFi calling on the 950? My guess would be only if they absolutely have to. I left AT&T long ago, vowing never to go back (In fact the last straw was not enabling WiFi calling on the BlackBerry 9000). I hope I'll have some option when my contract is up, maybe unlocked on another carrier?

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Read where MSFT is working on a Surface phone? Wonder how far along that might be, hmmm. There may just be sPhones coming to compete with the iPhones :wink:.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Involved in a lot of rural work here, and many have abandoned ATT for USCC and VZW.

US Cellular is a regional carrier, with headquarters in Chicago, but from my experience they generally have good service in the Midwest. Outside there though, coverage can be spotty at best, with a lot of roaming.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Read where MSFT is working on a Surface phone? Wonder how far along that might be, hmmm. There may just be sPhones coming to compete with the iPhones :wink:.

The rumors for the Surface phone are saying next year sometime, and possibly run x86 programs. My (next to worthless) guess would be a Galaxy Note-like device that uses a pen and had some kind of physical keyboard cover, sounds cool to me, but likely too big for my needs.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I'll have an offer to sell my priv. Been using it for the last 3 days. It's a good hardware but don't like android. Too clunky and OS doesn't flow. I'll go to the store on 25th and play with 950 before deciding it

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb