My Issues with this phone

jtshorns

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got the grey phone from the Microsoft store. No visual voicemail, no call blocker, Speaker not quite loud enough, won't read my 64gb card despite advertising it reads up to 64 GB cards.

Other than that I am very impressed with this phone.

The lack of visual voicemail is stupid though, why rip that part of the OS out?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got the grey phone from the Microsoft store. No visual voicemail, no call blocker, Speaker not quite loud enough, won't read my 64gb card despite advertising it reads up to 64 GB cards.

Other than that I am very impressed with this phone.

The lack of visual voicemail is stupid though, why rip that part of the OS out?

Visual Voicemail is usually carrier driven...

For instance on my 1520.3 which is a Factory Unlocked phone, I had VVM through a T-Mo App. Then I moved it to Straight Talk which has no VVM.

What I use now is carrier and phone agnostic. It works anywhere on any phone.

Stage one: on your PC Browser sign up for YouMail service.
Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail

Stage two: since there is no official App you should use the officially sanctioned 3rd party App "ISeeVM" on your phone.
ISeeVM for YouMail | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Once you get it configured it works better, IMHO, than what the carriers offer. It is very feature rich, including the option to have it greet callers by their name if it appears in your contacts!!!

I had no problem putting this on a 1st Gen Win HD.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For instance on my 1520.3 which is a Factory Unlocked phone, I had VVM through a T-Mo App.

The built-in VVM for T-Mobile and AT&T is part of Windows Phone, and is not a carrier app. (As a contrast, the VVM for Verizon *is* a carrier-provided app.)

The built-in VVM has never been supported on *any* dual-SIM WP devices, for various technical reasons.

MassDeduction

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this is a Canadian thing or not as I don't hear much about it from elsewhere in the articles or comments on Windows Central, but you'd have to pay me to downgrade to visual voicemail.

Three of the top four carriers in Canada offer a version of "voice-to-text". The carrier turns the voicemail into text using voice recognition software, and sends it to you as either as SMS, or as an MMS. In the case of the MMS version, the voice message is turned into text but the voice recording is also attached if you want to listen to it. Which I generally don't, as most voice messages are short and the text conversation gives me the gist of it, and I'll probably call back if I need clarification.

I saw an ad for Vonage.ca offering a similar voice-to-text product today.

Voice-to-text is superior as, if I'm at work for example, I don't want to call in to listen to it. But I can steal a glance at an SMS giving me the gist. It rapidly gives me a good idea how important the message is. Without it, I have to listen to the message to know if it's worth listening to. That technology hasn't changed much since the answering machine my family had 40 years ago. Just being able to listen to them in any order isn't a huge upgrade.

So rather than worry about Visual Voicemail, I'd look for a voice-to-text solution. Those are my thoughts for the day. :)

jtshorns

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has a dual sim phone with VVM

The built-in VVM for T-Mobile and AT&T is part of Windows Phone, and is not a carrier app. (As a contrast, the VVM for Verizon *is* a carrier-provided app.)

The built-in VVM has never been supported on *any* dual-SIM WP devices, for various technical reasons.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You know... I may have been thinking I had an App for T-Mo when I did not. I guess it was on the wife's Note 2 that there was a T-Mo VVM App that had to be squashed as once we left T-Mo it borked something else...

However, I stand by my statement that YouMail/ISeeVM is a killer combo. Portable with your number and therefore a feature rich and consistent experience across devices.And I do know I had it on my 1st Gen Blu Win HD... Since you can add phone numbers to your account it should configure when two SIMS are used in one dual SIM phone... I never tested that part.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Well, I looked at some BLU phones and they all look like they're made by a Chinese counterfeit company, so there's that :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo