BLU WIN HD LTE - Weird Charging Issue (charging but percent decreases), can I get some help?

Codster314

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
BLU WIN HD LTE - Weird Charging Issue (charging but percent decreases)

A Working solution was added to the bottom of this Post.

I just got a BLU WIN HD LTE, but have a weird charging issue. When I plug the phone in, it'll start "charging" (the battery icon starts to blink, with a plug over it, and the LED turns red). If I unplug it, it stops charging (mostly) as well. So this is all normal.

However as it charges the percentage of the battery goes down. The charger is still delivering charge to the phone, and it seems like the battery is charging, but the % decreases. When I restart the phone the battery shows the correct %.

For example. If the phone is at 50% charge. I plug it in and come back 1h later, it'll show the phone at 30%. If I unplug it and restart the phone it then shows the phone at 75%. If I start charging again for 2h it'll show 43%, but when I restart it'll say 100%. If I plug it in at 100% it'll show the GREEN LED, like it's fully charged. But once it goes to 99%, and the LED turns RED and ICON blinks showing it's charging, it'll start going down again, until I restart the phone, then it'll say 100% again.

So basically it seems like the phone is charging but the % is messed up, and only when I restart the phone it shows the correct value.

The battery seems okay as well. If the phone is at 50% and I charge the phone while I go to bed. When I wake up it'll say something like 35% -> 45%, but then I restart the phone it'll say 100%. At this state the battery lasts like a 1 day. So the battery still holds a very good charge, and lasts a while. And the phone does charge quickly (assuming I restart it after the charge to show the "correct" charge percentage).

Very weird issue. It's not really bothering me right now. Every second day I charge the phone at night and restart it in the morning to get it to show the 100% (I assume it restarts a couple times during the night each time it hits 2-3%). But it's a bit annoying. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Or what I could try maybe?

It seems like if it's not plugged in it'll "discharge" quicker than normal sometimes too. But if I restart it, it'll show the true % again. If it's not plugged in sometimes the battery will drop down quicker than normal, for example it'll show 30%, but if I restart it'll go back to 92%. Sometimes when you are using the phone (both charging or not charging) the battery will go down faster to 2-3%, and the phone will shut down or restart. After it starts up again it shows the proper battery charge again (something like 80 - 90%). This part is annoying as if I leave it unplugged at night it'll go to 2% and shutdown (even though the battery is like 75% full), it won't restart cuz it's not plugged in, just stay shutdown. I miss calls and texts in the morning due to this. So the phone has to be plugged in at night.

EDIT:
Things I've Tried:
1) Used a different charger + cable (Nexus 4) - NO HELP
2) Fully discharge and then charge battery again - NO HELP
3) Soft Reset (Power + Volume-) - NO HELP
4) Hard Reset - Reset Hardware to Default - NO HELP

EDIT: SOLUTION:
I have tested this, and it has solved my battery problem. It also made the battery last a lot longer. The (*) points are not necessary points, just what things I did.
(*) Drained the battery low.
1) Turn off the Phone.
2) Take the Back Cover off. The RESET button can be located between the Power and Volume Down Buttons.
3) Press and Hold the RESET button for 30s.
4) Start the Phone and let the battery drain till it's low.
5) Charge the Phone as normal to 100% (problem should be fixed)
(*) Repeat in discharging the battery to a low %, then charging it again max for the initial "training" phase.

Last edited:

Codster314

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: BLU WIN HD LTE - Weird Charging Issue (charging but percent decreases)

I just returned the phone and got a new one. No issues with charging on the new one.

seeremlive

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the update. That is one thing that I have never seen with any device. I am curious to know the root cause, but I guess we will never know...

mirusen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly how my phone started behaving lately. I didn't realize the percentage count was going backwards until I saw this post. It's about 4 months old phone. Looks like I have to call BLU and ask for a warranty repair. How's their customer service? Anyone dealt with them before?

Codster314

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

For me I emailed them, but never got a reply from the BLU service team about the issue. I had to return it to the Microsoft Store I bought it from for an exchange. I still have not received a response from BLU regarding the issue...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My Blu is doing the same thing.

I was convinced it was a software issue. If you tried a new phone and nothing is fixed, then I guess it's not....

I've had mine since July but it only just recently began doing this... Maybe about two weeks now...

I ordered mien from the Microsoft store online so I'm not sure if to email them or to contact blu... Or if it would even make a difference?

Hard part is I'm from the Caribbean... The hassle to ship it back to them, then be without a phone... then wait for it to ship back... Blah.. Might just be easier for me to order a new phone. Not sure what to do :(

I ordered mine from Microsoft Store but mine is also c

seeremlive

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Call them and they will answer the phone within a 5 minute hold. I actually have never waited more than 1 minute. I returned an Win HD LTE that had an unresponsive touchscreen. I shipped them my phone and they shipped me a non working phone. I then called them, the sent me a prepaid shipping label. They don't have any refurbished yellow phones in stock, they emailed me and told me they were going to send me a new in the box Gray unit. I responded and said OK. They are ship;ping me the replacement phone.

My only issue is each return trip takes 10 days minimum. I am now without a phone for 20 days since It took me an extra few days to return the broken replacement phone. I offered to give them my credit card to cross ship and was told they have nothing in place to handle that. I am glad I had a spare nexus 5 handy to use during this.

Everyone at Blu is really nice, it is just the process that is slow. I would give the Blu people a 4.5 out of 5 and the process a 2 out of 5.

mirusen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Codster314,

How is your replacement behaving? Was that issue fixed?

I did send a service request using the online form on their website. I didn't receive a response either (not even a confirmation email). I wonder where would all those submission go :)

I am going to call them and find out.

-Posts merged-

Thank you, Seeremlive, for the feedback on BLU's customer support experience.

I am going to call them tomorrow and find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Codster314,

I did send a service request using the online form on their website. I didn't receive a response either (not even a confirmation email). I wonder where would all those submission go :)

I am going to call them and find out.

-Posts merged-

Thank you, Seeremlive, for the feedback on BLU's customer support experience.

I am going to call them tomorrow and find out.

Please report back what they say ��

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

I have a blue win Jr lte, it has battery issues too, will charge fine, but then randomly drop to around 75% within half an hour of coming off charge. Still lasts the day but was a bit frustrating. My step sons battery was awesome (he broke his on a night out) so he has another on the way. So I think there are some battery issues blu need to directly address. Yesterday no issues with battery, still not charged it, after 24 hours at 70 percent, just which that was consistent.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I am curious to know the root cause, but I guess we will never know...

Sounds like a batch of batteries got faulty chips. Just my guess. Maybe a bad Li-Po mix?

I know they are "sealed" but that plastic sheet would peel right off. If someone didn't mind voiding their warranty and could locate the right battery I'm sure it would actually be fairly easy to user replace. http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Win-HD-LT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3279940

I've not used my HD LTE extensively as it is a backup phone. I didn't see any problems when I test drove it about 4 or 5 weeks a couple of months ago. It's just come out of storage still holding a full charge and it recharged fine over night. I'm driving it again for awhile and will keep an eye out.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like a batch of batteries got faulty chips. Just my guess. Maybe a bad Li-Po mix?

I know they are "sealed" but that plastic sheet would peel right off. If someone didn't mind voiding their warranty and could locate the right battery I'm sure it would actually be fairly easy to user replace. http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Win-HD-LT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3280234

I've not used my HD LTE extensively as it is a backup phone. I didn't see any problems when I test drove it about 4 or 5 weeks a couple of months ago. It's just come out of storage still holding a full charge and it recharged fine over night. I'm driving it again for awhile and will keep an eye out.

Will try to remove the seal later. Once successful, will order the battery

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Take pictures and share, please.

Seal removed. That was a ***** to take off. However, there seems to be something else blocking the battery. So it seems that the whole back of the phone will need to be removed.

Not sure what torx those screws are but I'm sure once they are removed, the back pops off and out comes the battery. Need to dig up my torx kit.

20151104_194349 [75861].jpg

mirusen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Please report back what they say ��

Called BLU today and got an RMA # to send my device back. I was told it would take 10-15 days after they receive my device, either to get it fixed or get a replacement.

Codster314

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

Codster314,
Heyas; Yea my replacement phone is still going strong. The battery lasts 2 days most days. Sounds like the online service submission form is useless, so good to know I should call if I do have any issues in the future. Glad to hear your getting an RMA.

mirusen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like the online service submission form is useless, so good to know I should call if I do have any issues in the future.

Online submission did help! Their process is convoluted at best! We have to initiate every step. Just in case if it helps someone:
1. We have to call first to create a ticket.
2. They send an email asking the details about the model, proof of purchase etc. that we have to submit online (this is where my online submission helped, when I asked to check if they have got them already. They did and I could skip the next step and get the RMA in one phone call)
3. Call them again after the details were submitted. Transferred to a supervisor, who will send an email with the an RMA and the address to send the phone.
4. Ship the phone to the address listed with proper insurance and signature upon receipt etc. all paid by us. As usual, I was told that they were not responsible for missing or damaged while shipping from our end.
5. Wait 10-15 days for the replacement to arrive (I was told the shipping would be paid by BLU)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Well, at the price point of our phones, it does make sense, but at least they're standing by it!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well. I've taken it apart. Screws are regular screws, just need a small screw driver. No torx required.

Getting the screws out was the easy part. Took me a while to actually get the back piece off. That black piece you see down the middle of the battery, that's stuck to the battery.

While removing the back, it felt like it was going to break. it was on pretty tight. Eventually got it off, great right?! '

Wrong.

That battery is glued to the back. It was a ***** to remove. I mean you literally have to pry the battery out. To me it looked like the battery got bent from my prying. (Note. this is not for the faint hearted)

As you can see from the pics, the battery has a jack that jacks into the board. I'm not sure if the replacement battery comes with that. From the pics on amazon, don't see that that clip anywhere.

View attachment 115819View attachment 115820

@rumoredNow, what do you think? I'm also thinking that the clip part is separate to the battery and the battery is connected to that part via another mechanism.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Wow man, I'm sorry I started this. I had no idea it would be so difficult. On the surface it looks like just peeling the label off would do it. With everything under that label it would be more of a warning to just leave the label off so someone would see all the Torx and straps and stuff.

On Amazon the item I linked says the product may vary from the picture and I kind of thought it would.

The battery that is a replacement should come with a ribbon cable ready to plug in. That's what other batteries of that class look like when I've seen them. Check against this BLU Vivo battery: BAT- BLU VIVO 4.65 INTERNAL BATTERY - Blu Phone Parts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo