Given the following RAM and processor, which phone would be hypothetically faster?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Blu Win HD LTE: 1gb of RAM, snapdragon 410

Alacatel OneTouch Fierce XL: 2gb RAM, snapdragon 210

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you are probably off in benchmarking territory with this question. Without having those figures for these exact models it becomes difficult to say.

In the real world application, the CPU's are clocked within 0.1 GHz of each other. More RAM is always good and the Fierce XL has 16GB internal storage so it doubles what BLU offers in 2 categories. The number of pixels in the display is the same, but Fierce XL spreads them out further so would have less ppi on the same 720p.

FWIW, the SD 410 in the BLU is 64 bit enabled and the 210 is a 32 bit only SoC. That may matter more in future than it does at this time for Windows Phones.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Blu Win HD LTE: 1gb of RAM, snapdragon 410
Alacatel OneTouch Fierce XL: 2gb RAM, snapdragon 210
You have two choices:

A) A complicated answer that defines exactly what is being tested and shows how either device can be faster under certain circumstances (which you are unlikely to find on the internet).

B) A much more pleasant and simple answer that is wrong.

Most people prefer option B. Getting answers for A requires you to ask very specific performance related questions (e.g. which one will launch app X faster with no other apps or background tasks running, etc)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Really? To me, the BLU felt much snappier.

In many cases it should, but load both devices up with the right apps (or wrong apps, depending on your point of view), and also try to keep many apps open simultaneously, and you might find the OneTouch to feel snappier (e.g. less frequent and faster resuming).

The BLU certainly has the far better CPU, and in most situations it should theoretically perform better, but having different operating systems makes an apple to apples comparison very difficult. The only way to get useful answers is to load up both devices with the apps the OP uses and specifically test different scenarios the way the OP would use the device.

At least theoretically (ignoring possible bugs, OS inefficiencies, etc), provided neither device is loaded up with very many background processes and the OP generally tends to actively close apps, the BLU device should be faster.. in most scenarios.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In many cases it should, but load both devices up with the right apps (or wrong apps, depending on your point of view), and also try to keep many apps open simultaneously, and you might find the OneTouch to feel snappier (e.g. less frequent and faster resuming).

The BLU certainly has the far better CPU, and in most situations it should theoretically perform better, but having different operating systems makes an apple to apples comparison very difficult. The only way to get useful answers is to load up both devices with the apps the OP uses and specifically test different scenarios the way the OP would use the device.

At least theoretically (ignoring possible bugs, OS inefficiencies, etc), provided neither device is loaded up with very many background processes and the OP generally tends to actively close apps, the BLU device should be faster.. in most scenarios.
I would have to agree with you on this. I chose to restore the BLU from my 640's backup. Everything was the same pretty much. I used the same apps, and it was faster.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is super relevant to the discussion, but my wife's 640 is notably faster than my Blu Win HD LTE. Loading Lara Croft GO for example, launching apps, navigating around, no keyboard typing issues, etc. With the exception that I like the Blu's design & screen better (& really hate the 640's software buttons), IMO, between the 2 phones, the 640 is the way to go.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this is super relevant to the discussion, but my wife's 640 is notably faster than my Blu Win HD LTE. Loading Lara Croft GO for example, launching apps, navigating around, no keyboard typing issues, etc. With the exception that I like the Blu's design & screen better (& really hate the 640's software buttons), IMO, between the 2 phones, the 640 is the way to go.
Apps on MicroSD card and same cards? Could be the 640 built-in storage is faster. The A53 cores in the SD410 should be faster clock-for-clock vs the older A7 cores in the SD210/400.

I don't have a SD400 w/1GB phone to compare to side-by-side, but with the phones I have for speed it's Lumia 520 < Lumia 635 (512MB ram limited) < WinHD < HTC 8X = Lumia 920 < WinHD LTE. The WinHD with the SD200 w/1GB should be nearly the same performance in non-GPU scenarios as the SD400 w/1GB of ram as the CPU cores (A7) are the same.

Or as mentioned MS might just have optimized well for the 640.

kashifsayed

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
^ Which is funny because at least on paper it should definitely be the other way around. Just goes to show you can't trust the specs.
Yes it is indeed, I have both the phones, and 640 appears to be tad faster than WINHD LTE, it also could be because of differences in touch sensitivity. BLU is extremely lazy in here. I like design of BLU. many mistake for M8 if you cover BLU logo

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I would go with the bigger ram option as, when running multiple apps, you wouldn't have the potential for a bottle neck. Although ultimately a combination of power and space is the more appropriate option. I have kept many an old pc running by stacking as much memory as possible in them, and prolonged their usefulness by another 12 Monte before admitting defeat!!!

As for speed and SD cards, yes they serve a purpose and some devices just seem to handle them with a faster i/o than others. Personally, I only use one for music. They have a finite life cycle, and when I used android, no matter what class I used, the i/o slowly declined over a few months and then I had two just give up, corrupting and being unusable. Which was annoying when your latest rom cook was living on it. I went with a 930 after my lovely 1320 started giving the sd card fix notification. I still worked but boy was it frustrating. I don't currently have one in my 950xl, but my sons blu win hd lte copes just fine, with no fix error. Go figure.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb