Contact list and sending a text.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Blu Win HD users - or any Windows 8.1 phone users - I admit I am a total noob at this and I have several questions. But this one has actually got me stumped. I'm not new at Windows 8.1 (laptop and tablet) but I am very new to a Windows phone. So please help.

I have a sim card loaded and it's working. But all I want to do is send my daughter and my wife and my friends a text message. But for the life of me I can't find my contact list from the sim card (saved from a previous phone) nor can I update "People" to include "send a text message (SMS)". Why not?

Ok, while this seems very noob - the answer doesn't come at me from the manual or from my seemingly unintelligent fiddling around. This should be the easiest thing. I have all my friends imported from Facebook, Messenger, Mail, etc - but not one phone number imported. Yet, when my wife texts me I get her name coming up. But I can't just save that number to contacts nor can I find a quick send message to...

I hope it's something so simple that I can just hit one button... but from what it looks like, i have to add them all manually. :unhappysweat:

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a sim card loaded and it's working. But all I want to do is send my daughter and my wife and my friends a text message. But for the life of me I can't find my contact list from the sim card (saved from a previous phone) nor can I update "People" to include "send a text message (SMS)". Why not?

Have you tried People >> Settings >> import from SIM? - "Settings" can be found on the bottom right of the People screen shown as "...".

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
As for sending a SMS, there are a number of different ways:

1. People - click the name of the contact, and press text (should show SMS underneath)
2. Messaging - Click the + sign to create a new message, then start typing the contact name and it should list your contacts, select the contact you wish to SMS. Then select the white box at the bottom where you can type your text message.

Let me know how you get on.

G.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll get onto this now - I admit I did try this before but, errrrr... lets say I missed the 'Settings' button.

Ok - so next question. Can I mute notifications over a period of time. Lets say from 10:30 pm to 8:00 am but still get the alarms to work?

Messaging works - thanks.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I'll get onto this now - I admit I did try this before but, errrrr... lets say I missed the 'Settings' button.
Ok - so next question. Can I mute notifications over a period of time. Lets say from 10:30 pm to 8:00 am but still get the alarms to work?
Messaging works - thanks.

Glad your sorted...

As for "Quiet hours", its available in the new release currently being rolled out by MS, I use it and it'll only allow my inner circle (ie. family) or alarms to disturb me. Not sure when your phone is going to be updated, you might want to check with the phone manufacturer.

Keep checking that your on the latest version by going to Settings >> phone update >> check for updates.
You could always check to see if you've already got it by going to Settings >> quiet hours - if it's not there, you haven't got latest version yet...

Roll out should be between now and end of January, barring any issues.

G.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone is fully up to date - only got the phone today and updated. I didn't see quiet hours in the settings :( So I guess I don't have it.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My phone is fully up to date - only got the phone today and updated. I didn't see quiet hours in the settings :( So I guess I don't have it.

As I said MS are rolling it out as we speak, though that's for the Lumia range, try the phone manufacturer for more details as they will be one that OK's the release to the phone.

G.

slim6y

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I discovered I needed to turn Cortana on - and then it appeared. Either that or change the region to US (I am not in the US) and it worked then too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium