Qi Charging - anyone?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tired a Qi charging system? I have a Nokia 830 but I prefer the smaller Blu, but I like the Qi stuff, not enough to go back to the 830 though.

Amazon has some receivers but the connector is aimed at the center and not offset to the right. I have ordered one and will try folding it to offset the connector. But an offset on out of the box would be better. Has anyone found a Qi receiver with an offset lead to the right and the narrow side USB down?

I actually have the Jr, but seems to be little to no interest in that forum, so thought I'd ask here. :)

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
News is all good and better. The Qi receiver arrived and needed no modifications at all.

I tried removing the back and installing it and it was almost perfect. I would have needed to slightly open up the slot for the USB as the cover snapped back on almost all the way around. The only bit was at the top close to the USB port. Had I cut that out a little it would have been perfect.

Before hacking into the back, I then tried putting the Qi on the outside and using the bump-cover that came with the Blu to hold it in place. Perfect. Well, not visually aligned, but I could not be bothered removing the bump cover to stick the Qi pad in place then put the cover on. The more OCD amongst us might want to do that or even paint the inside of the bump cover to hide the Qi, but I am OK with it.

I tried it on my 3-coil stand-type charger and it binged immediately and started charging. The plate charger (single coil) I had to lay it on sideways to get it over the plate "spot" but I rarely use that charger anymore so the stand it is.

VERY happy, good to have Qi back. I am using an app for file (pics etc) transfers so do not need the USB available.

Blu with Qi Charge 001.jpg

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you post some additional pics? Like from the top where it is in contact with the charging port? Also would it be possible (you may have already tried this) to place the charging coil inside the battery back rather than placing it outside?

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It may not be all that clear but the first paragraph in my last post was fitting the Qi inside the back and against the battery. That's why I said the back would need a little cutting around the USB port. Other than that it should be perfectly well hidden but I did not want to hack the back. If I had a spare back I would have done so. Since use it with the bump cover on all the time it made sense to just put it outside and leave the back alone.

The second paragraph is as the pic shows, with the Qi under the clear bump cover.

As to more pics, there s nothing to see. The USB connector is a very thin gold-colored plug that is flush with the surface of the cover. It all looks very neat, clean and professional.

It showed 100% charged this morning after sitting on the charger stand all night. The back was slightly warm at one top corner, but the thing was on standby, but tonight I will turn it off before putting it on the charger.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
OK, had to take out the SD for another thread, so did some more for the Jr with the Qi inside the back.
First one shows the connector when used outside the back with the bump cover. It has little "wings" at each end for getting finger nails under to pull it out. Works well.

The other shows the Qi inside the back with the back clicked back on. As you can see the gold bit is not very thick and it should work fine if I had just made the slot in the back a little wider for the gold part. But, the back clips on fine all the way around other than this top bit where the gold USB plug is.

BUT, should you decide for under the back, YOU CUT THE THE BACK AT YOUR OWN RISK. No whining please if the back does not stay put as I have not tested it with the enlarged cutout. I am happy with the bump cover approach.

Blu with Qi Charge 002.jpg

Blu with Qi Charge 003.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786