User Reviews of the BLU WIn Jr & Win Jr LTE

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you got a BLU Win JR? If so, post your opinion here!

I'll share mine.

First Impressions: Since I usually buy my phones from AT&T, I have to say that this box was much nicer than the ones that I normally get. The box kinda felt heavy, but I suspect that that's all of the stuff that they packed into it. I'm not going to repeat verbatim what Daniel said in his unboxing, but I will say that I am very impressed that it came with headphones. They're not fantastic and I'm going to keep using mine, but they're not..... well, they're kinda bad. But hey, for a $90 phone, can't complain. If this were my only phone and I didn't already have a pair of headphones, I'd enjoy them. #firstworldproblems I guess. It also comes with a flexible case.

The phone feels very nice in the hand, however, I recommend putting on the case. I mean, you don't HAVE to, but IMO, the feel of the phone is a lot better when you put the case on. It feels less "cheap", the buttons are easier to press, and it just feels a little better to hold. I didn't appreciate how the charger port is up at the top. To me, it just feels weird. I also thought that the default screen protector felt.... interesting to say the least. Mine had two air bubbles, but it's honestly better than I would've been able to do by myself since I suck at screen protectors, so I'll give them a pass.

I booted the phone and I kinda like the boot up screen a little more than Nokia's. It's probably because I've seen it a hundred times that I just enjoy whatever change, but I thought it was kinda nice.

*disclaimer: I am rating the smoothness of the OS and performance of the app after immediately downloading the developer preview, then doing a hard reset. I will note, however, that the phone feels as smooth after the hard reset as it did when I first booted it up*

Smoothness: So coming from a 1520 with a SD 800, I was expecting to notice a lot of lag, but I must give Microsoft and BLU credit and say that this phone is actually surprisingly smooth for it's price range. I did notice some momentary lag when pressing on the letter to quickly jump between apps, but other than that, it wasn't that bad. Apps and games of course weren't as snappy, but I think that's because I use my 1520 day to day and am just use to the speed. If I used this phone over time, I would never notice the lag.

Games: Now for games, I wanted to try what I thought was a pretty unoptimized game so I could judge the phone at it's worst as opposed to one nice game and hundreds of crap games, so I tried Subway Surfers (well, that and I needed a game that could fit in 1.2 GB of storage). It seemed.... ok I guess. It didn't necessarily feel bad, per se, and it was definitely more than playable. I guess the best way that I can describe it is you know how when you're playing a PC game and it's just a few frames below 30FPS? Like, there's not an obvious lag, but you can kinda feel it? I guess that's the best way to describe it. It lagged after the game was over, but other than that, it went fine. Overall, for a $90 phone, it wasn't bad at all.

Short takes on a few other specs:
-Display is pretty good. Much better than the 520 IMO.
-Camera is.... well, it reminds me of a high-end from 2006 with the speed (it was slow all-around) and the picture quality, but for $90, not too bad. Plus, it had flash AND autofocus, so that's nice.
-I really like the capacitive buttons. Even though the 830 doesn't have lights behind the keys, this one does *glances at Microsoft*. The haptic feedback feels decent too, although a little more vibration than I would like.
-It has an ok front facing camera, but nothing that great.
-You get about 1.2 GB of storage after installing the developer preview and installing app updates. Out of the box you get 1.5 GB.

I haven't had a chance to try out an SD card since I don't have a tool to remove mine (lost it and I legitimately don't have something to pop it open), so I'll update the review when I go to my friend's house because he works for AT&T and I know he has one because I actually have a 64GB SD card, so that would be a nice test. Although, I suspect that people who buy a $90 phone probably aren't going to need that much space in the first place. It's like buying a computer with an Intel Celeron and 2GB of RAM and getting a 2 TB hard drive, it just doesn't make much sense for the majority of people.

Overall, while I will keep using my 1520 and will probably upgrade to the HTC One for Windows when my contract is eligible, I will say that I could probably get by with this phone and would definitely recommend it over the 530.

Pros:
-Lots of accessories in the box
-feels nice to hold
-is very affordable and a good value

Cons:
-shots are not fantastic. I would say that both the 530 and the BLU Win Jr have their own pros and cons. Nokia's for quality of shots (although those are nothing special either) and the Win Jr pretty much everything else.
-I'm not sure what kind of support they'll give this phone in terms of updates, but they seem to update their Androids kinda frequently and since all they have to do for this phone is push out firmware, I'm optimistic that these phones will see future support from BLU, although I'll personally only give it a 60% chance that it will. So while I'm kinda sure that these phones will get future support, you definitely know that the 530 will.

UPDATED September 23rd

So after using it as my daily driver for a few days (as I often do when I get a new phone), I thought I would share some "second impressions".

1) So it may be that I'm use to the 1520's massive 6 inch screen and SD 800 processor, but for the first few days of using this phone, I found it very frustrating to type on. After a few days, I was able to get use to it, but I was kind of frustrated. I will note, however, that I found swiping to be a lot better experience for me compared to typing. If you're use to big phones, I would recommend swiping until you get use to the size.

2) call quality was ok. It wasn't terrible, and is pretty much what you expect from a $90 phone.

3) So I'm not sure what was in it, but I got a firmware update yesterday. Since BLU didn't respond, I'll chalk it up to "bug fixes", but I will try to keep a note of any future changes I find.

4) I'm not sure why BLU only said that you can use 32GB of SD storage, but it was able to read my 64GB card, recognize that I had 64GB, and was able to read the fact that I had over 32GB of storage used. Now, I'm not sure how else to test it, but to the best of my knowledge, I think that this pretty much confirms that it goes higher than 32GB.

5) When there's light, the shots aren't actually too bad, but Jesus help you if you need to take a low light shot. I felt like I was back in 2005. Now, I will say that they're better than the 520,530, and 630, which don't even have a flash, but if someone needs you to take a low-light shot, you're in trouble.

6) So after trying out a few more (and better optimized) games, I found that the most games perform pretty well. For the majority of games, I didn't get the "just under 30fps" feel.

So after trying it out, I've put the SIM back in my 1520 and am going to use it as my daily driver for the conceivable future, but if it ever breaks, I would definitely not mind having this as a second phone.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140919_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140919_0001.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20140921_004.jpg
    WP_20140921_004.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 12
  • WP_20140921_003.jpg
    WP_20140921_003.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 12
  • WP_20140919_004.jpg
    WP_20140919_004.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

malman89

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: User Reviews of the BLU WIn Jr

Thanks for the review! I've been searching for some real life user reviews of this device. I'm not a WP user, but highly considering it - either the Win HD or Lumia 735 ideally, but if those turn out with poor reviews or are too pricey, I might consider a 635 or this phone as an alternative. I don't need the best and latest phone. Affordable and reliable is just fine for me. My phone will never replace my computer as a main device.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site

God this site is hard to use from a phone. Gave up trying to post from my 1520 and eventually went for my tablet.

Anyhow, I just got two of these, one to replace two Blackberrys (Q10 and 9320) and another as a swap for an iPhone 4. So far we've just unboxed, but the quality is quite good compared to the Blackberrys. Setup will take a few days as it requires trips to the carrier for SIMs and also in the case of the first one an office IT guy to set it up on the company email. I'll report back once done. One thing I want to figure out is of you need data on the second SIM as well, or if the primary SIM with data is sufficient.

Anybody know of a WP app that would allow syncing with iTunes for music?

lunged

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Would anyone that owns this phone be able to post the supported frequencies listed on the packaging? There seems to be some confusion on this with different websites listing different things. For example, Blu's website lists HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100, but Microsoft only lists 850 an 1900. I want to get this as a travel abroad phone, but want to be sure it has ALL THE FREQUENCIES! Well, not all, but the ones I need. Thanks.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Would anyone that owns this phone be able to post the supported frequencies listed on the packaging? There seems to be some confusion on this with different websites listing different things. For example, Blu's website lists HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100, but Microsoft only lists 850 an 1900. I want to get this as a travel abroad phone, but want to be sure it has ALL THE FREQUENCIES! Well, not all, but the ones I need. Thanks.

For some reason, the picture doesn't want to post from Tapatalk, but I can confirm that that BLU's website is correct in that it does support those 4 frequencies. I'm not sure why Microsoft only lists 2.

On a side note: I'm going to post some "second impressions" here soon since there's some stuff that people who are buying the phone should know that aren't obvious on initial unboxings. Some good, some bad, but none are really deal makers or breakers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

For some reason, the picture doesn't want to post from Tapatalk, but I can confirm that that BLU's website is correct in that it does support those 4 frequencies. I'm not sure why Microsoft only lists 2.

On a side note: I'm going to post some "second impressions" here soon since there's some stuff that people who are buying the phone should know that aren't obvious on initial unboxings. Some good, some bad, but none are really deal makers or breakers.

I have a couple of Blu products and they have the frequencies for their devices on the product label on the box itself. UMTS frequencies for US products usually are 850/1900/2100 while GSM is 850/900/1800/1900.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Can I add one more thing?

I got one of this here in Brazil. It's a very good entry phone. Based on my experience with dual sim models, I can say it has a good battery life, even using what I call an active app as Cortana.

But to the thing I would like to add: I can't shoot videos above 480p resolution. Although I've been reading it's 720p capable, I can't manage to reach such res.

Now I'm waiting for BLU Win HD to be available in stores. Honestly, I've been having experiences with HD and FHD Android phones and got used to it. Can't wait for my first WP HD experience.

Enviado do meu dispositivo m?vel.

will9

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Here's a shot of the label

label.jpg

grantlandrice

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I am happy I purchased this device as a backup phone during the Cyber Monday sale. Unlocked and dual sim are the best features after the OS. I would give it an above average rating of 3.5 stars.

Yes it has a budget camera. Mediocre results that I see no way of getting around. The Lumia 635 rear camera is a step up in quality but I wouldn’t say by much. This is my first phone with a front facing camera so I am happy about that.

Something is not right with the video. It is advertised (on the Blu website and elsewhere) as 720p but maxes out at 864x480 in the default camera app.

The screen does have a small amount of lag when scrolling and you need a surer touch when interacting with it. It does look nice when viewed straight on and is bright when needed.

One call dropped so far. Happy that my Fido sim in slot 2 can get a 4g data connection and it had no issues out of the box with text and calls. MMS needed additional settings.

Comes with rubbery case, headphones w/ mic, charger, usb cable for charging and sync, and screen protector.

Some issues with background internet music stopping when using Internet Explorer otherwise works well when multitasking.

Really cool getting Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 after first power on and software update. Live folders and improved IE compatibility are the best parts of that update for me.

cawafuoshi

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Here is my first impression/first days of usage review:

Coming from an iPhone 5s, Lumia 635 was my first serious foray into Lumia territory (after having had some play time with a Lumia 521 on T-Mobile for a month last year).

Now, the Lumia 635 is still alive and well for the most part, but my needs changed from one day to the other: I needed a ffc for Skype.

I contemplated different options: going all out and getting an iPhone 6 (in my book truly amazing phones) as a long-term solution. Getting a Lumia 735 for use on T-Mobile as a mid-term solution. Getting perhaps a 535 as a short-term solution.

I ended up test-driving the Blu Win Jr (30 days return window at my local MS store) because it promises to be the solution I can live with for now while saving myself a pretty penny.

Upside: it has everything a smartphone needs. Build quality is rather nice than flimsy. A lot value for the money (with case, screen protector). Front facing camera. LED flash for the rear one. While not LTE at least fast H+ on TMO.

In real life usage, I don't miss LTE. All streaming at H+ speeds is fast and without hiccups. The FFC is good enough for Skype. The flash for the rear facing camera is useful and can make do as a simple flash light as well.

Processor wise, I cannot tell a difference between the 200er and the 400er Snapdragon.

Screen: not as nice and big as the 635 one. But still pretty enough. Not flimsy at all.

Call quality: it's crap compared to the Lumia 635. It's somewhat tinny, sounds cheap. No HD voice. No Wifi calling either. These are the biggest trade-offs for not going with a Lumia.

Storage: 4 GB are less than 8 GB but in both cases I would recommend using a SD card. So, no big surprise or disappointment here.

In conclusion, it's a pretty solid phone experience. Especially given the price, this is a real daily beater device. I tend to be clumsy with phones. This is why I haven't yet replaced my iPhone 5s with a newer one after I accidentally damaged it. And, my clumsiness also shows its wear and tear on the Lumia 635 after only three months. At $89 a pop, I don't need to overly worry too much about this phone while still being able to do everything I have come to expect from a smartphone. Now, if BLU could pull off a better voice call quality in one of the successors plus better res cams, this could be the perfect phone for my needs. As it is, it is very close to being perfect. Recommended.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

I recently purchased the original Blu Win JR for a family member at $69 brand new on Amazon. I had to set it up for them so I got to play around with it for a few hours. I think for the money you get a really solid device, with better features than any Android phone in the same price range. The screen is good enough and the camera is not terrible like I was expecting it to be. I recommend it especially for first time smartphone users. I'm hoping it gets upgraded to Windows 10 to further increase the value it provides.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site

I currently use ATT. I have had all kinds of phones. Used every OS out there. I like Windows Mobile. Its been years since I had a Windows phone. I have been using a iPhone 6 plus on my ATT account. I hated the fact that it was so huge and that i couldnt easily back up or change the simple settings. Last time I owned a Windows phone you couldnt easily change anything on that OS either. But i decided to give the OS another try since I came across the Blu JR with a dual sim.

I travel alot at my job and need something reliable. I have been without service at all out in the middle of no where. I didnt want to have to carry two phones around with me. So i down graded from the iPhone 6 plus to the Win JR LTE. Crazy right? But I like the Blu phone. I LOVE the Cortana app built in Windows Mobile now. It understands me alot better than Siri EVER has. Siri just drove me plain nuts. I love the ease of the email system. I email alot and this is a deal breaker for me. The camera and video dont really interest me. The phone responds quickly to my touch and the battery is pretty fair. My iPhone 6 plus battery lasted longer than my Windows phone. I think it has to do with the Live Tiles always updating.

My Pros: dual sim cards
excellent email system
Cortana app
excellent call quality
small enough to fit in my pocket
quick enough processor
SD card slot
removable battery
upgradable to Windows 10

Cons camera sucks
no LTE with ATT on SIM card
Windows update errors
cant easily put ringtones on the phone
battery life could be better

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Cons camera sucks
no LTE with ATT on SIM card

For camera, my experience with BLU (HD and later HD LTE) confirms that the Microsoft Camera does not teat the camera module well at all.

In Camera > Settings > force exposure to -2ev to compensate for how overexposed it is in daylight. Also alternate Apps are much better. Try Camera360 Sight and ProShot. Either should get you better pics right away. Sight is a fast point and shoot. ProShot has granular controls.

No LTE sounds like an APN issue. Is your APN set manually or did you just let it setup automatically?

I'm suspecting you have the nxtgenphone APN. Maybe try an older APN like "phone."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos