Switching carriers because of Sprint's lack of WP8 devices?

dreamcast87

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Solidstate89

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I left about 2 months ago and left for Straight Talk. Paying almost half the price and can get almost any phone in the world that I want thanks to being on an MVNO that supports GSM.

turdsamich

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Im not switching but I did something I never in my life thought I would do, I preordered an iPhone 5. I really just dont like how all the decent android phones on sprint have 4.5+ inch screens so I figured id give iPhone a shot as 4G is supposedly coming in my area much sooner than I expected and it is the size phone I am looking for. ****, if I dont like it iPhones have great resale value and I can go back to my arrive until sprint gets wp8 or an android phone I like comes along.

Probaholic1

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I would have loved to go back to T-mobile when I had my Radar 4G, I don't like sprint anymore, but I can't fully use a Lumia 900 on that network, even tho I get a sick discount on sprint just too expensive and I want complete freedom on any phone I want to use

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Staying put. Remember Sprint didn't get any WP7 phones until at least 6 month's after they came out. For people that are quick to jump ship, and always find out they should have just been patient and waited.

turdsamich

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Staying put. Remember Sprint didn't get any WP7 phones until at least 6 month's after they came out. For people that are quick to jump ship, and always find out they should have just been patient and waited.

You are right but remember, WP7 didnt support CDMA at all until NODO. So it wasnt possible for sprint to have a WP7 phone before the arrive came out. If Sprint had any interest in WP8 it would have been on board with the HTC phones that were announced today.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm staying with Sprint but will most likely be going with either a Galaxy S3 or Note 2 when it comes out in probably the next 30 days. I've been waiting now for a year for updates and support for WP from Sprint. I've been with Sprint for 15 years, been using smartphones for only about 3-4 years. I'm not one to jump from provider to provider just to get a particular phone. I hope they will eventually come out with a WP device, but until then, I'll pick one that fits my needs and use it.

I use my phone for work and many of the medical programs(apps) out there are either Droid or iOS. Hopefully in the next couple of years, WP OS will catch on enough to get more medical app developers onboard. That way, I won't have to deal with work arounds to get what I need.

man1up

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not eligible till March 2013. However 2 days ago Sprint retentions called me stating that I could purchase an iPhone5 for a new two year contract. I have till the 18th to decide if I want to go that route. I would like a Lumia 920. I hope more information pops up in next two weeks.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

turdsamich

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not eligible till March 2013. However 2 days ago Sprint retentions called me stating that I could purchase an iPhone5 for a new two year contract. I have till the 18th to decide if I want to go that route. I would like a Lumia 920. I hope more information pops up in next two weeks.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

I dont think its a coincidence that all the national carriers except for Sprint announced that they were onboard with wp8

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm all about getting top of the line, and I think the Nokia Lumia 920 can't be beat. I'd like to go for that phone, though not crazy about AT&T. So one day, AT&T, here I come. Though still, here's to wishing Sprint might one day shock me out of my shoes and pick up some Windows Phone 8's!!!

bmbriefs

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm pissed that I can't get it, but I've got more loyalty to sprint (the SERO plan, really) than I do WM. If I was able to get a similar contract with another carrier, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm pissed that I can't get it, but I've got more loyalty to sprint (the SERO plan, really) than I do WM. If I was able to get a similar contract with another carrier, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I can understand that. The SERO plan is really a good deal, no other carrier can compete with it.

Keep in mind that Sprint isn't going to be the same Sprint you know today, next year. Sprint is being sold to SoftBank, so I wonder if they'll want to keep the SERO plans around.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/off-topic/198756.htm

Addendum
: Moved to Carrier forum

Last edited:

jetbo

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I switched to ATT in september because of it, been with them with 2005, got a lumia 900 for like 225 off ebay so I still have my upgrade, and I got both ETFs waived due to roaming usage, and sold the gs 3 I just got in June to a friend.

explorador75

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
That"s a simple question!

I will change to AT&T, cause I want the Nokia Lumia 920!
sprint is always at last to get the best phones, and I love windows phone , I am not going to wait 6 months for a new windows phone on sprint, so I am just waiting for 5 of November to get my new nokia lumia 920.
by the way I will cancel my contract, I still have 4 months to finish it. until march 2013

Last edited:

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I will stay with Sprint regardless of what happens. We all know Microsoft did a poor job on CDMA support for WP7. How can anyone blame Sprint (and most of the CDMA carriers in the US) on waiting to make a final decision on WP8 since there were only TWO devices for them to choose from.

And before anyone mentions the high ratings of the HTC Arrive, ratings are never the final determining factor to measure the success or failure of a specific device and/or mobile operating system on a specific carrier. That determining factor is actual Sales Figures, and for those who said Sprint never pushed the Arrive, Sprint spent two months and plenty of money promoting it as an alternative to iOS and Android.

Now, I want to see one of the writers from this site actually ask Microsoft and the OEMs except HTC why there was a major lack of support and variants of all the WP7 devices released for US BASED CDMA carriers which happen to represent about 2/3 of the US cell phone market. Yes, I am aware GSM is the global standard because is far easier to code and to manufacture, but that does not apply to the US market.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Verizon in January and got the Nokia Lumia 822. Both my wife and I had the HTC Arrive and we now both love the 4G and wide coverage. We also get free Internet Sharing so my daughter can still use my old Arrive when we are in the car. With Data Sense, 4Gb/month is plenty. I chose the 822 because it has expandable memory, replaceable battery, and 16Gb onboard ram (and it was free). We also got the wireless charging back cover which is very handy.

By the way, both of the Arrives are updated to 7.8 and have never had a problem.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally, provided that aio wireless pans out (or that MVNOs like Straight Talk maintain good contracts with AT&T and T-Mo), I'm completely done with contract plans and subsidized phones. I recently switched my wife and I to aio and am happy with it. I also flashed our 920s over to Rogers, since most of the unlocked phones you can by at either Expansys or Negri are Rogers branded and Rogers seems pretty good with supporting devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb