Anyone grandfathered with unlimited Data still?

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Still grandfathered in with unlimited data here. I also have an old calling plan that's $29.99 that I've been transferring over for a long time as well since I never really make calls. I probably average less than 20 minutes a month.

LTE speeds here in San Francisco is pretty good. I'm getting about 25-30mb download speeds, a huge boost from 3G when I had my iPhone 4, and it's even better than my home wi-fi.

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Still grandfathered here, and not planning on giving that up anytime soon (even though that means I can't use tethering with AT&T or else it would be a plan change). Of course, I'm not really making full use of all that data streaming, but I'd hate to lose the opportunity...

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
You should have been given the option to change to an "unlimited personal data plan for 4g/LTE smartphones" if you had say an iPhone unlimited plan. .

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How was the activation process for you guys?

I'm on a family plan with the grandfathered unlimited data and I'm a little hesitant to activate it myself when it comes tomorrow as I don't want to lose that data.

At the same time I feel like the morons at the store have an equal or greater chance of screwing things up.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I still have unlimited but don't really use more than about 2GB/month...and that's with occasional audio streaming driving to and from work.

Really don't know why I'm not using more data as im hardly ever on WiFi. Tethering would be nice but don't want to lose my unlimited plan :/

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlimited plan and whether I will ever use more than 2-3gb, I love having the plan.

I won't be using the unlimited plan for my Lumia 920. The unlimited will stay with my iPhone 5.

LTE blows HSPA+ (FauxG) out the water. Especially when uploading a picture to WhatsApp, Twitter or Instagram (iOS), it's noticeable. It's not even close. The other thing is... LTE has less latency issues than 3.5G / FauxG (whatever you wanna call it).

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup still unlimited here as well. I don't notice a HUGE difference with LTE when just browsing internet pages.. but when going to watch a video and it instantly plays is pretty awesome.

anon62607

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
unlimited data here as well, I'm getting some insane speeds here in Portland on LTE

Keep in mind that speed you're seeing is only partly due to LTE and mostly due to LTE being effectively unloaded here (in Portland). I've been watching Verizon LTE go from ludicrous fast (35 or more mbps) a year ago to 8 to 12 mbps now. As more of the historic base of users get shifted over to LTE its going to get progressively slower.

Porterhaus

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got to Keep My Data Plan

I was able to keep my unlimited Data plan however, they said I could no longer keep the unlimted text portion of my previous plan. I would have to change my plan if I wanted unlimted text. I decided the data was much more important than text messages.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to keep my unlimited Data plan however, they said I could no longer keep the unlimted text portion of my previous plan. I would have to change my plan if I wanted unlimted text. I decided the data was much more important than text messages.
What? Why couldn't you keep your unlimited texts? What plan did you have?

devilgunman

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys activate the phone over the web or at an at&t store? I heard some people lost their data plan entirely after they activate their phones on the web.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you guys activate the phone over the web or at an at&t store? I heard some people lost their data plan entirely after they activate their phones on the web.

I activated over the web and yeah they screwed up my plan. They took off my text and data plan. I had to go to an AT&T store to put my unlimited data back on. They still haven't seemed to figure out how to put unlimited text back on. I can't even receive texts right now. Once my text problem is fixed, thinking of just canceling unlimited text and use a text program instead.

akroy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
awesome thanks for the tip just called att and was told i can keep my old unlimited data plan just call them whenever my new phone arrives

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
im grandfathered in. att tried getting me to switch to the mobile share 10 gig plan with tethering for the same price. i might do it

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Still unlimited here. I think I use less than 2gb every month. Heck, I think I use less than 1gb.

I wish I could use my phone as a wireless hotspot. It would make it more practical to take my Surface around.

But the price difference to "upgrade" to a limited data plan that allows tethering is too large to justify.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb