I signed a 24-month commitment with AT&T on June 29, 2011, but the service sucks. I only get a bar or two in my house, can't send picture messages, and I only get EDGE...unless I drive 60+ miles.

Calls are CONSTANTLY dropped-even when I'm not at home.

There are two lines on the account, making the ETF $300. I'd much rather switch to verizon, but I have to pay $400 for two unlimited data lines (there's LTE here with verizon...and I LOVE reading online :). PLUS the ETF.

AT&T won't waive them and there's no 3G in sight.

HELP! How can I get out?
    01-12-2013 08:26 PM
    wait until June 29th 2013, then leave ATT.
    01-12-2013 09:16 PM
    Is this a new property you moved to? Did they inform u of network coverage when u joined? Check your terms of service with at and t.. You may be able to get out of it if they don't actually cover your area
    01-12-2013 09:28 PM
    They do. My area is listed as "best". A rep tried to tell the other party that they had good service....well the rep didn't win, lol.

I actually found a loophole in the contract:
    "If we increase the price of any services ... you may terminate this agreement without paying an early termination fee"

My bill cycle ends friday and AT&T increases/decreases "government taxes" every month (they're all over, $10-$3-$5-$8.6-$8.5).

So who defines "any services", you ask?
    "Charges include, without limitation, airtime, roaming, recurring monthly service, administrative, and late payment charges; regulatory cost recovery and other subcharges; optional feature charges; toll, collect call and directory assistance charges; restoral and reactivation charges; or calls billed to your phone number; and applicable taxes and government fees; whether assessed directly upon you or upon AT&T."

I spoke with an AT&T Rep in the Cancellation team and she said that if my price increases, I may port my number. She said I would probably get a bill for ETF, however she said to just call in and have them waive the fees.

She also read and added a note to the account about my slower-than-dialup data, dropped calls, no picture messages and then she went on to say that if the government fees increase, then to waive the customers (my) early termination fee.
    M L likes this.
    01-13-2013 07:13 AM
    Etf is pro rated. So, if your contract started one and half years ago, there is not much etf left. On the other hand, good luck getting out a contract.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
    01-13-2013 07:29 AM