for att and older people new to the smatphones?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all! Ok so I'm taking a friend out today, he wants a smartphone. Never had one and is gonna be new to that area. Would there be any suggestions on what phones to lead him towards? He and his wife are a little older and would be sharing the phone. I know att has the 8gb (killer loads of memory won't really be needed.) 8x for $49.99 right now. Also my opinion would be that windows or sigh even apple would do over android for least complexity. But I'd like your thoughts on what to consider. Thanks all!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
On AT&T, the 920 or the 8x would be perfect. But find out from them what they expect to do with a smart phone. Usually, its email, maybe text messages and phone calls but you'd know better since you know them.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What age range you talking?

While the 8X is a nice phone, I'd also recommend the 820 on AT&T. The specs aren't as good but it's a thicker phone and arguably more rugged. It also comes with Nokia's exclusive apps.

Here's my personal ranking.

Ease-of-use
Windows Phone > iOS > Android

Customizability
Android > Windows Phone > iOS

Ease of access features
iOS > Android > Windows Phone

Apps
iOS > Android > Windows Phone

Out-of-box functionality
Tie since each OS have different strengths and weaknesses

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well there in there 60's. And they told me they want me to go with them to pick out a phone. They honestly don't know what all they would do with it. But they figure why not get a smartphone. They know I have the Lumina 920 phone although they may not know exactly what its called lol. But since they are completely in the blue I was thinking of a windows phone. Since it would be easier for me to help them out if questions arise. But if someone may know a better option or what to explain to them please let me know. I think they just want to try to get up with the times but don't want super confusing and to be lost.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the iPhone remains the default super phone of choice for this generation, even if it's for no reason other than to keep pace with other iPhone users. But, IMO, the iPhone loses a lot of its charm if they're not sharing apps with other iPhone users. Furthermore, Live Tiles may be easier for them to read than icon grids on the iPhone and Android. But I don't want to pass judgment because they're probably 60 and in tip-top shape. Though I will say that if they're not computer savvy then drag/drop on WP8 might be (and probably will be) a lot easier than teaching them how to sync with iTunes.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Mrs. 'tude, who is the most technologically challenged person I know and has been confused by every smartphone she's ever seen - even "just type" on WebOS stymied her - mastered her Lumia 920 in a matter of hours.

For years she wouldn't consider any smartphone but three days after I got my L920 she wanted one of her own.

I know different people have different needs but Windows Phone (7 or 8) is by far the easiest OS for luddites to grasp.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea there not computer savvy at all. Which is why I ruled out android to begin with. Further more to your statement is he doesn't have the best eyes out there. Meaning some things like text can be hard to read. So in that sense I suppose windows for there large tiles may work better.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Personally I believe that a Windows Phone would be perfect for them. I got my first smart phone, a Focus S at age 54 and never regretted that decision. The UI is pretty simple and important items can be pinned so it's accessible to them. It has all the basics they need and frankly I don't see customization as a major feature for them. Since it is their first smart phone they're not aware of all the "iphone vs. android vs. wp" arguments.

While I will admit that now that I’m more knowledgeable about smart phones that unless Microsoft corrects some deficiencies I may feel the need to go elsewhere, I do believe that live tiles are the best way to go for a smart phone newbie.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well update. We went to the store. I tried to be as unbiased as I could and as the lady sales rep stated she was an android fan she was pretty unbiased to and extent as well. Thankfully lol. And my friend chose the l920 in as he calls it Ferrari red haha. He's like I'm gonna get me a Ferrari! Lmao. But is happy with it. So time will tell how much he's gonna call me to figure things out lol. Thanks for peoples input. Also don't know for how long but he also got the wireless charger for free. Another note... He got a case to and even thought the charger was free he got a discount on the case cause they bundled them together. Again thanks people for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs