Sprint's coming WP8 devices...

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
sprintwp8.jpg

So at this point, we all know that Sprint will be bringing two Windows Phones to market this summer... one by HTC, the other by Samsung.
(PRESS RELEASE: Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Selects Samsung and HTC for Windows Phone 8 Launch with Truly Unlimited Sprint 4G LTE)

My question is this, what do you all think each model will be like? (Looks, specs, etc.)

I've been looking forward to new Windows Phones on Sprint since the Arrive back in March 2011. I got my Arrive a week after it came out. I was hoping that a Nokia model would be coming, but since no announcement was included in the press announcement last month, I'm not holding my breath. Who knows, maybe we'll get an extra announcement during MWC in Barcelona.

I hope the HTC model (as doubtful as this may be) harkens back to the looks of the older Sprint Touch Diamond/Touch Pro rather than a rehash of the 8x/8s series. As for the Samsung, I hope it's something close to the look of the ATIV S, but a bit more creative than a slight refresh of their newest Android (probably Galaxy S4 by that time).

As for hardware, I'd personally be happy with the following: (both phones have been confirmed by Sprint to have front-facing cameras and removable storage)

"Both the Samsung and HTC smartphones will offer Sprint 3G and 4G LTE and impressive lists of features including dual cameras enabling video chat, dual-core processors for enhanced internal speed between applications and support for expandable external memory."
Screen size: 4.3-4.5" Super LCD2/Super AMOLED with 1280x720 resolution or higher (1280x768 preferred)... keeping the screen that size will keep PPI fairly high. 1080 resolution is not necessary at all.. it would just be a battery waster.

Battery:
At least 2000mAh... no less. Preferrably 2300 or higher. Hopefully removable.

Storage: At least 32GB internal storage (plus the aforementioned microSD storage)

...there's obviously more, but I'll cut it there for now. What do you guys think?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint had a more impressive list of WP phones then I'd probably be with them now. Went with AT&T instead. While we probably won't know what Sprint is releasing until MWC, I'm placing my bets on an 8X and Ativ S equivalent. I'm guessing it would be easier for Samsung/HTC to add Sprint's LTE to those phones than reengineer the 8S and Ativ Odyssey to support LTE.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The HTC offering had better be a different phone than the 8X. I'd take a WP in a One X body at this point.

And, in before mrmdj316.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone call my name? Lol.

On a serious note, I rather see something different from the Ativ S/Oddyssey and the 8X/8S (we all know the 8S is not coming to the US anytime soon). Perhaps one of them would have high end specs as 32GB internal storage, expandable memory via a MicroSD slot, and perhaps better processor. However, the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in a software point of view is the Military encryption and coding that Microsoft needs to have ready soon (which will mean meeting the 512bit cell
Network encryption standards Qualcomm recommends to support SVDO in its full form).

I have heard rumors Microsoft was not able to meet those requirements for the Verizon devices (which will get the proper coding via an update since the devices do meet the hardware requirements) because of the "complications" of meeting Military coding and cell network encryption standards, which are the current Qualcomm standards (and soon to be FCC standards for CDMA carriers, and GSM carriers have tougher standards to meet soon). I have also heard Team Windows Phone had to get Qualcomm CDMA certified people to get this CDMA coding fixed and up to current standard.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And in regards to Nokia, they are simply not interested to deal with most carriers in the US (all remaining CDMA, and the smaller regional GSM carriers) for unknown reasons. Have also in mind Nokia has had a very turbulent reputation among the CDMA community, mostly in part due to their issues with Qualcomm (those are settled now).

I am hoping Nokia reaches beyond AT&T, Verizon, and T Mobile soonet than later, and the way they can be considered serious is by making some deal with Sprint, and US Cellular. Other carriers will follow eventually.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's an article from fiercewireless in regards to the lack of Nokia Lumia devices outside the three carriers they're currently involved (ironically, I did submit this article and a "spotted at the FCC" article from Alan F in regards to the HTC WP8 device designed for Sprint to have this site report and have some discussion about each one, but not even an acknowledgement for either):

Sprint, Nokia ignoring each other on Windows Phone - for now - FierceWireless

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If Sprint had a more impressive list of WP phones then I'd probably be with them now. Went with AT&T instead. While we probably won't know what Sprint is releasing until MWC, I'm placing my bets on an 8X and Ativ S equivalent. I'm guessing it would be easier for Samsung/HTC to add Sprint's LTE to those phones than reengineer the 8S and Ativ Odyssey to support LTE.

But are they going to be willing to reengineer those phones to have external storage, which it mentions they are going to have? I hope for those that have remained with Sprint that they do. Or at least come out with something at MWC that supplies those capabilities. How happy will the Sprint users be to finally get WP8, just to get mid to low end options?

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Sprint, and I have been waiting for a Nokia, but since that isn't going to happen, I will be pretty unhappy if Sprint waited this long and just retreads the 8X.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting points by everyone. Who knows if they're current devices, but Sprint has been clear on wanting better specs compared to what currently HTC and Samsung are offering on their WP8 offerings.

Hopefully these two devices are announced at MWC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos